News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

The Heather of HANKLEY COMMON GC
« on: July 16, 2024, 06:42:02 AM »

Hankley Common is a 1,400 acre nature reserve in Elstead near Farnham owned by the Ministry of Defence and is part of the Thursley, Hankley and Frensham Commons Special Area of Conservation, Special Protection Area and Site of Special Scientific Interest. Hankley is well known as a movie set location and for the WWII Atlantic Wall which was used for training exercises. The common is also home to the vast 850-acre Hankley Common GC sandwiched by the Surrey Sandbelt and the South Downs.  The club purchased the land during WWII, but less than 200 acres is set aside for golf.

Hankley started, as many have, a 9-hole affair in 1897 designed by Edward Turle. By the summer of 1924 James Braid had created nine additional holes...2, 6, 7, 8 & 10-14. A decade or so later the club then called in HS Colt to offer his two cents. He added length and three new holes…10-12, replacing a Braid hole and two original holes. It isn’t clear to me if the remaining seven holes are original. However, it is clear that among these holes are some of the best on the property; of which the 4th deserves special mention. Martin Ebert recently finished a three phase renovation. Ebert’s plan called for renovating bunkers, creating new sandscapes to blend in with the surrounding features and to address green complexes, tees, paths and heather management. Having a poor memory of the course, I can't compare the two versions. However, I will say Hankley Common is a highly attractive course in an outstandng setting. 

Plan of the course.

The opener is a lovely get-away hole....longish downhill par 4.

The short 2nd isn't just a dumb blonde. The gathering to the front green brings the front bunker into play. 

A cracking hole, the third swings left and downhill to semi-punchbowl green.

From the 4th tee.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 01:28:56 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

John Handley

Re: The Heath of HANKLEY COMMON GC 1-3
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 11:35:23 AM »
I played Hankley Common in late May and found it to be a very good golf course.  Fun, challenging, yet playable.  I was referred to it a couple of years ago from a friend who is a Walton Heath member. He said I should check it out.  Boy, I am glad I did.  HC flies under the radar a bit.

2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 11:37:12 AM »
I played Hankley Common in late May and found it to be a very good golf course.  Fun, challenging, yet playable.  I was referred to it a couple of years ago from a friend who is a Walton Heath member. He said I should check it out.  Boy, I am glad I did.  HC flies under the radar a bit.

Hankley doesn’t seem to be in favour with some of the old guard GCAers.

Ciao

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 11:46:25 AM »
There are people who will tell you that Hankley is pretty much their favourite course. This is, imo, because it is a _beautiful, beautiful_ place, rather than the actual golf course. When you analyse the holes in detail, imo, it becomes clear that the course is not top quality. But it is so beautiful that nobody really cares.

Hankley has always had pretty much the best stand of heather anywhere in the area. The heather for the construction of Queenwood came from Hankley, and the course has sold heather to a number of other courses iirc.

Colt was at Hankley in the early thirties -- he built three new holes, numbers 10-12, and the club made him an honorary member (which surprised him; he was astonished to get a member communication from Hankley in the late thirties, as recorded in the letters section of Hawtree's 'Colt & Co'.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 10:17:58 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Michael Felton

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 02:08:01 PM »
Hankley has always had pretty much the best stand of heather anywhere in the area.

I haven't played there in 20+ years I think, but whenever I've been there the heather is very consistent. At Walton, there are patches where it's pretty light and then patches where it's horrendous. Hankley you pretty much know how your lie will be before you get there. It's also way more playable than the heather at Walton. It seems like it's just the flowers and stems above the ground, where Walton's you get whole root complexes that sit on top of the ground that your ball gets into and a club just won't go through it.

John Handley

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 03:37:02 PM »
Adam-

I think it may be a little harsh saying it's not top quality.  I understand your point about just looking at the strategy and design of the architecture.  But when someone is playing a golf course and decided whether or not they like it, it's the sum of all the parts.

I think there is enough meat on the bone at Hankley Common to say that it is a good golf course, enjoyable to play, challenging, and a beautiful setting.  It may not be up there with the Sunningdales and Swinleys of the world, but it is certainly worthwhile playing for 99% of the golfing world.  :)
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 04:29:55 PM »
Adam-

I think it may be a little harsh saying it's not top quality.  I understand your point about just looking at the strategy and design of the architecture.  But when someone is playing a golf course and decided whether or not they like it, it's the sum of all the parts.

I think there is enough meat on the bone at Hankley Common to say that it is a good golf course, enjoyable to play, challenging, and a beautiful setting.  It may not be up there with the Sunningdales and Swinleys of the world, but it is certainly worthwhile playing for 99% of the golfing world.  :)

Oh absolutely. But you will find people who say it _is_ up there with the Sunningdales and the Swinleys. And I think it is pretty unarguable that they are seduced by Hankley’s beauty, specifically the heather.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 10:18:14 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2024, 05:10:24 PM »
Hankley has always had pretty much the best stand of heather anywhere in the area.

I haven't played there in 20+ years I think, but whenever I've been there the heather is very consistent. At Walton, there are patches where it's pretty light and then patches where it's horrendous. Hankley you pretty much know how your lie will be before you get there. It's also way more playable than the heather at Walton. It seems like it's just the flowers and stems above the ground, where Walton's you get whole root complexes that sit on top of the ground that your ball gets into and a club just won't go through it.

For sure.

Hankley Common Tour Cont

The short two-shotter 4th seems like it should be the best hole on the course. I am convinced the hole would be so from the forward tee...that is if the club is unwilling to widen the fairway to the right. With modern length bringing the clubhouse into possible danger I don't foresee this happening soon. I have heard talk of the club wanting to alter the hole. That would be a shame because it’s one of the few bold greens on the course. There is a strong resemblence to the Road Hole.

The green as seen from the patio gets one geared for a game! This is the only hole without the upgraded bunkering. This makes me think there is a possible plan to make alterations to the green....heavy sigh. It’s wonderful to watch play on the hole while sitting on the patio.

The 5th strikes toward the heart of the property.

I am not sure why the stand of trees to the rear wasn't cleared to reveal the view.

A bit of a dull hole, the long 6th doesn't add much to the round, but I like the approach.

The green and general view of the property from the 7th tee. Hankley showcases stunning texture.

A view of the 6th from near the 7th green.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 02:48:00 AM by Sean_A »

Mark Pearce

Re: The Heather of HANKLEY COMMON GC 1-6
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2024, 09:46:51 AM »
My impression, when the BUDA visited, was that Hankley was a dumb blonde, and Adam's comments pretty much sum up my impression formed then.  Fabulous to look at.  Decent course.  But some way behind the better heathland courses.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2024, 11:03:36 AM »
Hankley looks much improved cosmetically with the 'frilly' heather edged bunkers and its ranking is high which to me is more to do with its conditioning.

I echo what Mark and Adam said. Out of the BUDA events I have played over the years Hankley for me was the biggest disappointment as I was looking forward to it based on write ups etc (not on GCA) fortunately Liphook was the other course which was a nice surprise and I would be eager to go back there following M+E course changes and what I have heard from Liphook member - Tom Kelly recentl.

Liphook doesn't have much land to play with and it was routed quite cleverly by Arthur Croome. Hankley is a vast area of heathland and for me the routing initially done by Edward Turle, with revisions by Braid, Colt, See//M+E over the years and some individual holes are 'meh' for me there is a far better course out there if it was a blank canvas. 

One wonders what it would have been like had Colt did 18 holes from scratch on a blank canvas.

Sherwood Forest for me is underrated and a better designed course than Hankley its astounding that the golf course rankings ignore it. If it was in Surrey rather than Nottinghamshire it would be high in the rankings.

John Handley

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2024, 11:05:46 AM »
no matter what people say about the course,  Sean A - your photos are amazing!!!

Love seeing all your photos of great GB&I courses.  Please keep them coming.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2024, 11:13:46 AM »
no matter what people say about the course,  Sean A - your photos are amazing!!!

John if you have been to Hankley you would understand where very reliable sources like Adam and Mark were coming from :)

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2024, 11:47:42 AM »

I mean, no-one can doubt that Hankley is a beautiful, beautiful place to play golf, and if you went in August when the heather was in full bloom, you would think you had died and gone to golfing heaven. Eye candy is significant, nobody questions that. But it isn't the whole story.
Adam Lawrence

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2024, 03:23:36 PM »

John

You are very welcome.

Hankley Tour Cont

The celebrated 7th is indeed a high calibre hole. Uphill and stern, wind is never your friend on this hole.

We drop back down on the 8th, a longish three-shotter. While the bunkering is attractive, it isn't often provocatively placed. It’s mostly the left/right combination.

A look at the rear of the green from the 5th green.

One of the more daring holes, the 9th curls left. From the tee a fairway bunker down the right is a menancing sight. The hole plays downhill all the way, but the slope is more pronounced for the approach.

We now come to Colt's Corner. A bit like 6-8, these three holes form a horseshoe.

How bout that, a bunker eating into the fairway! Although if I recall correctly, work was being done on the main teeing area to the left, much to our delight.

A back bunker too is a bit different to the Hankley norm. Not obvious, but the green is admirably subtle and highly effective. This is certainly one of Hankley's best holes. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 01:29:42 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: The Heather of HANKLEY COMMON GC 1-9
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2024, 05:10:34 AM »
Hankley Common Tour Cont

A long par three, the 11th doesn't look right to my eye. I am not sure if changes were made to the hole, but its obvious work has recently been done.  Looking back to the tee. For such a demanding hole, the fallaway on the right (left in photo) is quite severe.

Completing the three hole horseshoe, the 12th legs gently left. Its a a beast of a par 4, but plays a bit downhill for the drive. As one who is often hitting woods into the greens, I fully appreciate the run-up space offered for many approach shots.

Much of the new bunker work is highly attractive. However, like most new bunker schemes, the variety of size is lacking.

A dead straight three-shotter heading uphill, the 13th does feature a berm to the rear of the green, but isn’t  special. A look back down the fairway from behind the green.

Another straight hole, the 14th plays quite downhill off the tee. The approach from left rough.

Behind the green. It seems like the club is trying to keep the look of sporadically placed trees in the heather. More could come out, but the idea is right.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 01:36:50 AM by Sean_A »

Simon Barrington

Re: The Heather of HANKLEY COMMON GC 1-14
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2024, 05:38:41 AM »
Hi Sean

To hopefully assist on what remains and by who the individual holes were routed, having reviewed at length historic maps etc.

Chronologically James Braid, respectfully, extended the 9 (Barlow & Turle, from 1897) to 18 between 1921-24.

Braid's new holes were the on the original numbering: 2nd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th & 14th

Then "Colt's Corner" of three new holes (the current 10th, 11th & 12th) was added on a new section of land in 1933.

Braid's short Par-3 10th was the only Braid hole removed by Colt(1933), along with 2 of the Barlow & Turle Holes (original 15th & 16th)

So on the current numbering 8 of Braid's 9 Holes remain: 2nd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 13th(prev. 11), 14th(prev. 12), 15th(prev. 13), & 16th(prev.14).

Seven of the original Barlow & Turle originals (1897) remain: On current numbering: 1st, 3rd, 4th (but now dog-leg L-R from new tee), 5th, 9th, 17th & 18th.

So on the 18 current holes; 3x are Colt, 7x are Barlow & Turle and 8x are Braid.

1st - Barlow & Turle
2nd - Braid
3rd - Barlow & Turle
4th - Barlow & Turle
5th - Barlow & Turle
6th - Braid
7th - Braid  (A "Quartered Green")
8th - Braid
9th - Barlow & Turle

10th - Colt
11th - Colt
12th - Colt
13th - Braid
14th - Braid
15th - Braid
16th - Braid
17th - Barlow & Turle
18th - Barlow & Turle

Cheers!
Simon
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 06:35:21 AM by Simon Barrington »

Ben Stephens

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2024, 08:27:47 AM »
One wonders what Hankley would have been like had either Colt or Braid had a blank canvas to work with rather than add and/or adjust what was already there

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2024, 11:03:55 AM »
One wonders what Hankley would have been like had either Colt or Braid had a blank canvas to work with rather than add and/or adjust what was already there

For sure, but then you could ask the same question about any number of courses on good property.
Adam Lawrence

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2024, 02:26:48 PM »
Thanks Simon

Hankley Common Tour Cont

An odd hole, the 15th turns sharply left at a short distance off the tee...it’s also blind. Plenty will be long enough to cut the corner, but reaching the green is difficult because of bunkers. Below is a look at the green from the 13th. Play is from the left.

Approach from the left rough.

A look at the green from the 16th.

Quite uphill, the short 16th plays over broken ground and can mess a card up. If one can drive past the bunker it makes for a straightforward par 4 on the 17th.

The approach is quite similar to the 15th.

The tee shot doesn't look like its up to much, but given the 445 yards, if a long and accurate drive is critical anywhere it is on the 18th. The long approach must cover a chasm of sorts. An old-fashioned hole and all the better for it.

I have long heard comments both ways about Hankley. Beautiful, but not essential golf or, one of the best in the London environs. I admit to being surprised at how much I enjoyed the round. Yes, the course is stunning, but the playability factor is also attractive. Is there room for improvement...no question. Yet Hankley is sound as is. It wouldn't be one of the courses I think to call first if planning a trip to London, but Hankley certainly shouldn't disappoint if one decides to give it a go. 2024

Other London area courses.

Berkshire Blue
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66368.0.html

Berkshire Red
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70350.msg1691015.html#msg1691015

Camberley Heath
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43930.msg954079.html#msg954079

Hindhead
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,55578.msg1389263.html#msg1389263

Knole Park
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53010.0.html

Liphook
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52532.msg1205577.html#msg1205577

Worplesdon
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47211.msg1052900.html#msg1052900

Woking
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32655.0.html

West Hill
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57487.msg1342832.html#msg1342832

WHO
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61415.msg1460548.html#msg1460548

Walton Heath New
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60107.msg1420813.html#msg1420813

Addington
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,23460.msg945846.html#msg945846

Temple
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37725.msg777890.html#msg777890

Sunny old
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53335.msg1225962.html#msg1225962

Sunny New
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33173.msg659312.html#msg659312

Sunningdale Heath
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67423.0.html

St Georges Hill
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36130.0.html

Royal Wimbledon
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63351.0.html

Reigate Heath
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,64197.0.html

New Zealand
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36467.msg745045.html#msg745045

Swinley Forest
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70253.msg1689012.html#msg1689012

RAC Old
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65366.msg1561223.html#msg1561223

Epsom
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66005.msg1576186.html#msg1576186

Coombe Hill
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67440.msg1612332.html#msg1612332

Hadley Wood
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70370.msg1694114.html#msg1694114

Sandy Lodge
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57349.msg1338695.html#msg1338695

Bearwood Lakes
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41242.msg965161.html#msg965161

West Surrey
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70181.msg1688505.html#msg1688505

West Byfleet
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,72147.msg1735234.html#msg1735234

RAF
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56478.msg1311590.html#msg1311590

Pulborough
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66370.0.html

Crowborough Beacon
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,64918.msg1547500.html#msg1547500

Piltdown
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70336.msg1691440.html#msg1691440

Leckford Old
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61952.msg1471285.html#msg1471285

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 02:53:20 AM by Sean_A »

Ben Stephens

Re: The Heather of HANKLEY COMMON GC
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2024, 04:08:01 PM »
Sean is right Hankley is a strong course - I rather go to Liphook if I am in the area again

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2024, 12:26:52 AM »
Sean is right Hankley is a strong course - I rather go to Liphook if I am in the area again

Ben

I too would rather play Liphook…or Blackmoor.

Ciao

Ben Stephens

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2024, 04:37:13 AM »
Hi Sean,

Must see or play Blackmoor as it has been updated by Tim Lobb - it looks great from pics on social media.

I played with their course manager in an event at Huntercombe - nice guy and very knowledgable.

Cheers
Ben

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2024, 05:38:13 AM »
I just found a beautiful photo of the 11th I have from 2007 - it seems to have changed quite significantly.

It used to have a false berm and a few trees around it but it was very pretty. One of my favourite holes.

Don’t know if this link to it works (not trying to post a photo here):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30749571@N05/2881292911/in/album-72157607448766099/

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2024, 09:43:40 AM »
5 obviously planted deciduous trees have no standing in the commons of Hankley.

It was a mound of burried rubbage on the right side - burried once again with planted oaks, etc. It’s a pretty picture; cant say anyone ( groundscrew especially ) misses the trees.

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2024, 09:56:08 AM »
Is there something you would have done differently with that golf hole, Ally ?

It’s a long par 3; 200 or so.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back