News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Handley

Sherwood Forest GC - UK
« on: July 15, 2024, 02:05:37 PM »
Calling on all England golf experts.

I'm putting together a trip next year and the question I have is around Sherwood Forest Golf Club.  I'm interested to learn more from those who have played it.  What are your thoughts?  I have an option to play Sherwood Forest or play a second round at Hollinwell.  I am seen mixed reviews.  Some really like it and others think it just ok.  If it's just ok, I'd hate to do that instead of a second round at Hollinwell.

Here's the line up:

Moortown
Alwoodley
Ganton
Woodhall Spa Hotchkin
Royal West Norfolk/Hunstanton
Woodhall Spa Hotchkin
Sherwood Forest or Hollinwell
Hollinwell

Thanks in advance.

John
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Sherwood Forest GC - UK
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2024, 03:51:58 PM »
Hollinwell is pretty special.

If the round in question is in the morning of the day you play Hollinwell in the afternoon, it is a no-brainer: 36 at one great club far outweighs 18 at one and then rushing to do 18 at another.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2024, 04:05:24 PM »
Calling on all England golf experts.

I'm putting together a trip next year and the question I have is around Sherwood Forest Golf Club.  I'm interested to learn more from those who have played it.  What are your thoughts?  I have an option to play Sherwood Forest or play a second round at Hollinwell.  I am seen mixed reviews.  Some really like it and others think it just ok.  If it's just ok, I'd hate to do that instead of a second round at Hollinwell.

Here's the line up:

Moortown
Alwoodley
Ganton
Woodhall Spa Hotchkin
Royal West Norfolk/Hunstanton
Woodhall Spa Hotchkin
Sherwood Forest or Hollinwell
Hollinwell

Thanks in advance.

John

Sherwood is very good. Whether you want to play it the same day as Notts is purely down to you. All I can say is Sherwood is worth seeing. So is Coxmoor.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Handley

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2024, 04:25:59 PM »
The Friday in question, Hollinwell cannot get us out until 4pm due to a tournament.  Not terrible, but not ideal.

We would drive over from Woodhall Spa Friday morning, and either play Sherwood around 12 or 1.

Golf at Hollinwell, otherwise, is Saturday afternoon.

So to answer you question, I am not planning to do 36.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2024, 06:00:53 PM »
The Friday in question, Hollinwell cannot get us out until 4pm due to a tournament.  Not terrible, but not ideal.

We would drive over from Woodhall Spa Friday morning, and either play Sherwood around 12 or 1.

Golf at Hollinwell, otherwise, is Saturday afternoon.

So to answer you question, I am not planning to do 36.

I know what you mean. Playing at 4pm is not dinner friendly. I am mostly a logistics friendly sort of person so I would probably play Sherwood. But I am an outlier in not liking Notts as much as most do. If I was gonna double up on any of the rounds it would be Brancaster.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

James Reader

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 02:03:59 PM »
I’ve been a member of Sherwood Forest for over 40 years, so would admit to some bias, but I would say it’s much
more than “just OK” and I certainly don’t think you’d regret playing it. Hollinwell is, as Ally says, very special but Sherwood isn’t far behind and is well worth seeing.

If the dates work and you’re not already a 4, then I’d be very happy to host.

John Handley

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 03:20:39 PM »
Hi James-

Thank you for chiming in and your perspective on Sherwood Forest.  And you lovely offer to join.  I think we will be a group of 12 but if you're around next July, I'd love to meet up for a pint before or after golf.  Always fun meeting members of the clubs we visit and learning from your local knowledge.  I will PM you once we get closer.  We are going to play Friday, 25 July 2025 around 1pm.

John

Ben Stephens

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2024, 11:06:12 AM »
I’ve been a member of Sherwood Forest for over 40 years, so would admit to some bias, but I would say it’s much
more than “just OK” and I certainly don’t think you’d regret playing it. Hollinwell is, as Ally says, very special but Sherwood isn’t far behind and is well worth seeing.

If the dates work and you’re not already a 4, then I’d be very happy to host.

Sherwood is vastly underrated by many - I think its a very strong golf course. Hollinwell is the main course in the area and Sherwood is not too far behind - I would have it ahead of Lindrick.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back