News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

I played and enjoyed both Lundin and Leven in May 2019 with a group of GCAers.

My understanding going in was that Lundin was a step above Leven, in fact we only settled on Leven for our final round of the trip because it was handy to where we already were and some other options weren’t available.

It may be a case of expectations driving perceptions but I walked away high on Leven and have sustained that feeling for the ensuing five years.

I was chatting to a mate about them recently and he disagreed with my appraisal of the two courses, which reminded me that I may always have been alone on an island with the way I see the two.

For mine, Leven (perhaps due to austerity) seemed less fussed with, more linksy and rawer than Lundin.

I also thought that while the original Interleven course holes on both courses were top shelf (would that be a world top 50 course if it were intact now?), the inland holes at Leven were a significant step up from the corresponding holes at Lundin.

I don’t think there’s much in it, maybe 6-4 on a 10-round split and for context I’d say 6-2-2 if they shared 10 rounds with Elie.

I’m curious what others think.

Niall C

Scott

I'm with you. I also prefer Leven and for the reasons you mention. The lower holes on Leven are simply better overall.

Niall

mike_malone

Scott,

I haven’t played Lundin but Leven was the gem of my trip a few years ago. You said “raw”. I like that word. It was very firm which accentuated the low profile nature of the course.
AKA Mayday

Ally Mcintosh

I prefer Leven

Mark Pearce

I also think Leven's the better course. And mostly for the reasons you give.  The old combined course would have been superb.

I hope, by the way, that that 3 course split has 6 at Elie, two each at the others, or we may no longer be friends......

That said, my split might be 5-3-2.  I like both Lundin and Leven a lot.  Both have excellent coastal holes and less good inland holes.  As you say, though, Leven's inland holes are better, even if Health and Safety issues would prevent them being built now.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 05:59:05 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Emerson

Gavin Neill has taken over as Course Manager at Lundin within the last 2 years, if I recall correctly. Prior to Lundin, he was the long-time Course Manager for the Old Course, New Course, and Putting Course. Following his twitter, you can find that he has accomplished quite a bit since his recent start. May be worth another view in the near future to see the changes.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Niall C

Gavin Neill has taken over as Course Manager at Lundin within the last 2 years, if I recall correctly. Prior to Lundin, he was the long-time Course Manager for the Old Course, New Course, and Putting Course. Following his twitter, you can find that he has accomplished quite a bit since his recent start. May be worth another view in the near future to see the changes.

Changes in condition/presentation or actual changes to the course ?

Niall

Ben Stephens

I have played Lundin and Leven a number of times in the late 1990s. Do remember a member telling me that they play an annual event on the old course layout by the sea linking the two clubhouses.

From memory I felt Lundin was the stronger course overall than Leven and the 18th at Leven was a memorable finish with sleepered walls fronting the greens.

Elie edges both of them and I am looking forward to playing Elie at BUDA in Sept

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back