News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Night Golf
« on: July 13, 2024, 02:38:36 AM »
For those who work during the day or just want to play at night, I know of three courses:
1.The Lights at Indio Golf Course in Indio, CA New clubhouse, better facilities coming to this lighted golf course in the California desert (msn.com)

2. Grass Clippings at Rolling Hills in Tempe, AZhttps://grassclippingsaz.com/pages/night-golf
3.Angel Park in Las Vegas. This fully lit up course is a par 3 course at night.

4. South Korea :The  president of the Korea Leisure Industry Institute, South Korea now boasts 117 golf courses of 18 holes or more (83 public courses, 34 private clubs) that offer nighttime play for willing golfers, with tee times as late as 8 p.m. There are countless other 9-hole courses that also feature floodlights and do not close until midnight or later. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/18/sports/golf/white-night-golf-south-korea.html
5. Japan: https://www.air-golf.com/courses/reviews/night-golf-japan
Are there others in the USA?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 10:43:08 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Thomas Dai

Re: Night Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2024, 08:36:41 AM »
Glow in the dark golf balls seem to be expensive.
Anyone know of inexpensive glow in the dark golf balls that would be suitable to use on a non-floodlit driving range on a dark evening (in some places local authorities won’t permit floodlights to be used)?
Thanks.
Atb

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2024, 10:44:58 AM »
I've never played it, but I've always been intrigued by Westchester Golf Course (near LAX) because of the lights.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2024, 11:06:59 AM »
The course is lit at night to allow for play and practice up until 10 p.m.
It's an 18-hole 4,364-yard, par 64 golf course and has a slope rating of 89

https://www.westchestergc.com/golf-tee-times/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Mark Kiely

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 01:29:44 PM »
About 20 minutes from me is David L. Baker in Fountain Valley, CA. It's a par 62. I've played it once.
https://www.davidlbakergc.com/

Even closer to home is Lake Forest Golf & Practice Center (9 holes, par 29).
https://www.lakeforestgolfcenter.com/

Just a note of clarity on the first post above regarding Angel Park: Of their three courses, it's the Cloud IV course that has lights. It's actually 12 holes during the daytime but only 9 are lit at night, from what I understand. I've only played it during the day.

There's another night-lit golf course in Las Vegas, the North Las Vegas Municipal Par 3, which is nine holes. I've played it during the day only.

I'm not finding it with a Google search, but I vaguely recall the LPGA playing an entire tournament under the lights somewhere maybe 5-10 years ago. Anyone remember that?
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2024, 01:46:21 PM »
A clergyman, a doctor and a business consultant were playing golf together one day and were waiting for a particularly slow group ahead. The business consultant exclaimed, "What's with these people? We've been waiting over half and hour! It's a complete disgrace." The doctor agreed, "They're hopeless, I've never seen such a rabble on a golf course." The clergyman spotted the approaching greenskeeper and asked him what was going on, "What's happening with that group ahead of us? They're surely too slow and useless to be playing, aren't they?" The greenskeeper replied, "Oh, yes, that's a group of blind fire-fighters. They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime." The three golfers fell silent for a moment. The clergyman said, "Oh dear, that's so sad. I shall say some special prayers for them tonight." The doctor added, rather meekly, "That's a good thought. I'll get in touch with an ophthalmic surgeon friend of mine to see if there's anything that can be done for them." After pondering the situation for a few seconds, the business consultant turned to the greens keeper and asked, "Why can't they play at night?"
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2024, 01:53:57 PM »
A clergyman, a doctor and a business consultant were playing golf together one day and were waiting for a particularly slow group ahead. The business consultant exclaimed, "What's with these people? We've been waiting over half and hour! It's a complete disgrace." The doctor agreed, "They're hopeless, I've never seen such a rabble on a golf course." The clergyman spotted the approaching greenskeeper and asked him what was going on, "What's happening with that group ahead of us? They're surely too slow and useless to be playing, aren't they?" The greenskeeper replied, "Oh, yes, that's a group of blind fire-fighters. They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime." The three golfers fell silent for a moment. The clergyman said, "Oh dear, that's so sad. I shall say some special prayers for them tonight." The doctor added, rather meekly, "That's a good thought. I'll get in touch with an ophthalmic surgeon friend of mine to see if there's anything that can be done for them." After pondering the situation for a few seconds, the business consultant turned to the greens keeper and asked, "Why can't they play at night?"

Cary,

I've been telling that one for years, except its a lawyer, doctor, and an engineer!  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2024, 02:59:05 PM »
Yes Cary,

You got it wrong!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 03:02:23 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brian Finn

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2024, 09:13:16 PM »
For those who work during the day or just want to play at night, I know of three courses:
1.The Lights at Indio Golf Course in Indio, CA New clubhouse, better facilities coming to this lighted golf course in the California desert (msn.com)
2. Grass Clippings at Rolling Hills in Tempe, AZhttps://grassclippingsaz.com/pages/night-golf
3.Angel Park in Las Vegas. This fully lit up course is a par 3 course at night.
4. South Korea :The  president of the Korea Leisure Industry Institute, South Korea now boasts 117 golf courses of 18 holes or more (83 public courses, 34 private clubs) that offer nighttime play for willing golfers, with tee times as late as 8 p.m. There are countless other 9-hole courses that also feature floodlights and do not close until midnight or later. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/18/sports/golf/white-night-golf-south-korea.html
5. Japan: https://www.air-golf.com/courses/reviews/night-golf-japan
Are there others in the USA?
3s Golf in Greenville, SC https://3s.golf
Knights Play in Raleigh, NC https://www.knightsplay.com

New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2024, 09:55:54 PM »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2024, 11:32:46 PM »
I've played a couple times at night both under lights and with glow balls.  I think the first golf I played with my wife was at night under the lights at Hickam AFB par 3 course.  We were hitching a ride on a refueler to Australia right after we graduated and the hotels in Hawaii were out of our budget so we were looking for something to do that night and played golf.  The rest of the night was less pleasant.

The AF Academy has a glow golf tournament each year.  They give you some glow balls and put glow sticks and flashlights out around the course for reference points.  It sells out, I'm sure they do well with drink sales and is a fun event.

Chris Hughes

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2024, 01:40:40 AM »
The Lakes @ El Segundo is a fully lit par-3 between Hermosa/Manhattan Beach(s) and LAX -- attracts terrific crowds of all ages/types!

The formerly terrific driving range is now a Top Golf site...a downside development from my perspective.

The Lakes at El Segundo | Topgolf (golfthelakes.com)

Phil Young

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2024, 02:03:36 AM »
I played many a night round on the Blue course at Eisenhower Park on Long Island. I believe it is still open for night play "in season."

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2024, 08:17:06 PM »
There should be a night golf website directory type of thing.

They tend to not stick around so long and pop up and disappear, some have tried to persevere. Not many I'd guess...I haven't paid attention that closely in my 58 years. But I do feel these types of places were way more abundant in the 70's. Now it seems there's a little resurgence. I have fond memories of growing up playing them around the NW of Chicago. And I still went to them when I was older. There's something about a quick nine under the lights with just a couple of clubs. Or sometimes, the whole bag.
I can remember a few places although I know there were more.

Arlington Park Race Track in Arlington Heights IL, had a lighted 9 holer in the backyard of the Arlington Park Hilton in the 70's. It was part of a whole Hotel, Pool, restaurant, concert hall complex to attract people to go to the track. It was a field with flagsticks stuck out in the middle of a flat field basically. There might have 2 flat sand traps with no lips. Like two big piles of sand in the middle of field. It's now all gone. Even the Racetrack. The Bears might move there. Probably not. They were talking about that in the early 80's and the city of AH put its foot down. I

There was one around a small lake and town park just northwest of where the Rosemont Horizon was built, or whatever sponsor they're calling the place now. That one might still be there, but the lights would be gone. They pulled them down in the mid 80's I think.

Then there was one near O'Hare Airport in a relatively close hotel, right off the freeway (94? I think...man long time)
If you headed into the city from the NW suburbs on "I-94"you could see it to your right, butting right up to the freeway and McDonald's "Hamburger U" building.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 10:34:34 AM by Jim O’Kane »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2024, 09:17:05 PM »
But wait... I heard it through the grapevine, that more are coming. I know of some from Utah, Texas and Virginia.

As soon as can get some detail, I'll post.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2024, 09:53:11 PM »
I'm surprised Mike Nuzzo hasn't chimed in. I'm pretty sure his new par three course called the Wedge at Cabot Citrus is lighted for night play.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2024, 10:12:58 PM »
This just arrived: The Park West Palm Beach(The Lit 9)
Designed by Gil Hanse and opened in 2023 with 9 holes -The Lit 9 @ $30 for adults .AND NO CHARGE for under 12, and $20 for under 18.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2024, 10:15:12 PM »
About 20 minutes from me is David L. Baker in Fountain Valley, CA. It's a par 62. I've played it once.
https://www.davidlbakergc.com/

Even closer to home is Lake Forest Golf & Practice Center (9 holes, par 29).
https://www.lakeforestgolfcenter.com/

Just a note of clarity on the first post above regarding Angel Park: Of their three courses, it's the Cloud IV course that has lights. It's actually 12 holes during the daytime but only 9 are lit at night, from what I understand. I've only played it during the day.

There's another night-lit golf course in Las Vegas, the North Las Vegas Municipal Par 3, which is nine holes. I've played it during the day only.

I'm not finding it with a Google search, but I vaguely recall the LPGA playing an entire tournament under the lights somewhere maybe 5-10 years ago. Anyone remember that?

I got a hole in one at Baker!

Also an interesting note: Lillia Vu's father is the pro there.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2024, 11:23:44 PM »
Jim's mention of O'Hare reminds me there's another night-lit course in Las Vegas right in the flight path for Harry Reid International Airport. When I played it, one plane flew over so low it felt like a well-struck sand wedge could've clipped the landing gear. It's gone by different names over the years but right now I think it's just called Las Vegas Golf Center.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Steve Lapper

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2024, 05:04:26 AM »
There will be a new fully-lit, 18 hole Par 3 fully architected by Mike Nuzzo in Nashville in Q2 2025.

Brought to you by Playground Golf Company!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2024, 05:12:39 AM »
Back in the boom years in Japan and South Korea, a lot of the expensive new courses featured floodlights [even on one occasion, retractable stadium lighting] on the last few holes to extend play into the evenings.

Night golf makes a lot of sense in Asia and in other warm climates.  It's too hot to play through the middle of the day, and people have more time in the evening, anyway.  But lighting a full-scale course is MUCH more intensive than lighting a par-3 course.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2024, 11:42:56 AM »
There should be a night golf website directory type of thing.

They tend to not stick around so long and pop up and disappear, some have tried to persevere. Not many I'd guess...I haven't paid attention that closely in my 58 years. But I do feel these types of places were way more abundant in the 70's. Now it seems there's a little resurgence. I have fond memories of growing up playing them around the NW of Chicago. And I still went to them when I was older. There's something about a quick nine under the lights with just a couple of clubs. Or sometimes, the whole bag.
I can remember a few places although I know there were more.

Arlington Park Race Track in Arlington Heights IL, had a lighted 9 holer in the backyard of the Arlington Park Hilton in the 70's. It was part of a whole Hotel, Pool, restaurant, concert hall complex to attract people to go to the track. It was a field with flagsticks stuck out in the middle of a flat field basically. There might have 2 flat sand traps with no lips. Like two big piles of sand in the middle of field. It's now all gone. Even the Racetrack. The Bears might move there. Probably not. They were talking about that in the early 80's and the city of AH put its foot down. I

There was one around a small lake and town park just northwest of where the Rosemont Horizon was built, or whatever sponsor they're calling the place now. That one might still be there, but the lights would be gone. They pulled them down in the mid 80's I think.

Then there was one near O'Hare Airport in a relatively close hotel, right off the freeway (94? I think...man long time)
If you headed into the city from the NW suburbs on "I-94"you could see it to your right, butting right up to the freeway and McDonald's "Hamburger U" building.

There was another one that

Jim,

I used to play a pitch and putt under the lights right near O’hare. It would have been in the 1970s. It was a blast.

Ira

Brian Finn

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2024, 11:48:55 AM »
Back in the boom years in Japan and South Korea, a lot of the expensive new courses featured floodlights [even on one occasion, retractable stadium lighting] on the last few holes to extend play into the evenings.

Night golf makes a lot of sense in Asia and in other warm climates.  It's too hot to play through the middle of the day, and people have more time in the evening, anyway.  But lighting a full-scale course is MUCH more intensive than lighting a par-3 course.
There are lit courses in Dubai and Turkey.  I'm not sure which courses, but I have seen some YouTube videos of night golf from a few different spots.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2024, 01:33:50 PM »
This just arrived: The Park West Palm Beach(The Lit 9)
Designed by Gil Hanse and opened in 2023 with 9 holes -The Lit 9 @ $30 for adults .AND NO CHARGE for under 12, and $20 for under 18.

Whoa...That's amazingly cool. I appreciate the large font the subconsciously tells me to stop and read this one, because it's important. Which it is.

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2024, 01:39:31 PM »
Jim's mention of O'Hare reminds me there's another night-lit course in Las Vegas right in the flight path for Harry Reid International Airport. When I played it, one plane flew over so low it felt like a well-struck sand wedge could've clipped the landing gear. It's gone by different names over the years but right now I think it's just called Las Vegas Golf Center.
Oh...and now you have made me think of another lighted one...just like the two we mention.

There is a lighted par 3, I think 18 holes, right next to the Myrtle Beach airport. It is terrifyingly fascinating watching a high wedge heading right in the path of a landing jet plane. The holes aren't much to speak of, but it is lit and kept in more than acceptable shape for what it is.

Although not lighted, there's a decent par 3 course (in addition to a decent 18 hole course...there was a Red Golf Mini Tour event there when I played the par 3 with my wife) directly next to the Savannah, GA airport.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back