News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schoolfield

Evolution of the 18th tee at Troon
« on: July 17, 2024, 02:45:23 PM »
2004:

2016:

2024:

It's got a fancy new sand splash this year... not entirely sure how I feel about it. I think the long grass would look fine.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 02:59:46 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Charlie Goerges

Re: Evolution of the 18th tee at Troon
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 03:21:25 PM »
I'd be curious what the defense of it would be? For people who've played it with the sand, does it come into play or direct the eye for alignment purposes or something like that?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 03:37:13 PM »
I'd be curious what the defense of it would be? For people who've played it with the sand, does it come into play or direct the eye for alignment purposes or something like that?
Definitely not in play. It looks like maybe they had to reduce the elevation in front of the new tee. If that's the case, I'm still not exactly sure why they decided to then place a big bunker there... maybe drainage?
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Jason Thurman

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2024, 03:43:43 PM »
Troon has a lot of those blowout-like bunkers around its margins - it's not inconsistent with the rest of the course aesthetically. None of them appear to be particularly in play, but they're out there.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2024, 03:45:40 PM »
I barely noticed it when I was there 6 weeks ago (not playing from the back).

Looks horrendous and completely superfluous from above.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2024, 03:52:50 PM »
Nature will likely have grassed it over in a few years time. Same likely with other deliberately opened-up sandscapes at other courses. Grass likes to take over areas and unless it’s kept back, which is maintenance intensive, it usually does.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back