News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Research resources available online? Update.
« on: July 11, 2024, 12:38:48 PM »
I've been asked to help my local Club Research an update to their history.

It's been some time since thing like this have been discussed on here so asking what resources are now out there.

Ideally we can search online through old magazinesa and newspapers. 

I'm looking at the USGA Golf Museum site and finding it hard to get it precise as the Golf club shares parts of its name with otheres...
https://heinonline.org/HOL/LuceneSearch?specialcollection=&typea=text&termsa=West+Essex+GC&operator=AND&typeb=title&termsb=&operatorb=AND&typec=creator&termsc=&operatorc=AND&typed=text&termsd=&operatord=AND&typee=text&termse=&operatore=AND&typef=text&termsf=&collection=golf&yearlo=&yearhi=&sortby=relevance&only_vol=&collection_true=&searchtype=field&submit=Search&face_quers=volshortname%3Agiwwig

Through the Green the British Golf Collectors Society magazine is searchaeable online
https://www.golfcollectors.co.uk/ttg-search

What other sites do we need to look at?  Thanks
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

Re: Research resources available online? Update.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024, 03:30:46 PM »
Tony

The britishnewspaperarchive is a good place to start. It is a subscription service but you can get a month to month fairly cheaply. Golf Monthly also now have an online archive of purportedly every issue from 1911 to 2016. I haven't tried it yet but got to think it must have some fairly exciting stuff. Again its a subscription service.

Niall

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 06:35:17 PM »
Canadian Golf Hall of Fame has a searchable archive:  https://heritage.golfcanada.ca/library/

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 04:46:16 AM »
Love to know where Sven, Cirba and others get their incredibly deep documentation.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2024, 07:31:57 AM »
Merion member and club archivist John Capers has created a 64-slide power point presentation "If you don't start collecting yesterday today, there is no tomorrow" that he has been sharing with other clubs for a while. He takes pride in the number of clubs it helped begin the process. In the club newsletter just yesterday it said: "It is the Archives Committee's desire to help other clubs get started on preserving their history, and it will gladly share this presentation as a guide."

Let me know if you would like a copy and I can message it to you.

-Colin
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 07:39:03 AM by Colin Sheehan »

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2024, 07:48:56 AM »
Tony

Re Golf Monthly - I signed up for a month last night and spent a few happy hours looking through the archive. Well worth a go although not sure it as a search engine. I think you might have to simply go through edition by edition which I suppose is OK if you have a rough idea what you are looking for and in what timeframe.

Which of your several clubs is this for ?

Niall

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2024, 08:01:56 AM »
Talk to a librarian in your city. They have access to massive searchable newspaper databases. That’s how I was pulling news articles about Inglewood GC a couple weeks ago.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2024, 08:37:11 AM »
Tons of great content available from the Olmsted Bros archives. I use their flickr account to find stuff, including great numbers of Plans, Photos, and planning documents.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/olmsted_archives/

If the Olmsteds worked on the the land planning for a course, you can find it in here. Obviously even more non-golf stuff in there as well. They worked on ANGC, Fishers Island, Merion, Pasatiempo and many more.

It can be a little finicky to use, you have to use the proper specific search button to search only their account and a few other things like that, but what they have is pretty spectacular.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 08:40:49 AM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2024, 10:11:17 AM »
The online newspaper archives are truly amazing resources. I could not have begun to research my Colt book without the British Newspaper Archive. For the US, newspapers.com (which currently claims almost a billion pages archived) and newspaperarchive.com seem to be the key sites.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back