News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank M

One Round Only - Royal St. David's or Conwy
« on: July 05, 2024, 12:22:42 PM »
Hi everyone, I will be in Liverpool for family reasons with time to play only one round. The difference in travel time is not a factor as I want to see one of these two, but which would you choose? Thank you

Tommy Williamsen

Re: One Round Only - Royal St. David's or Conwy
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 02:49:40 PM »
I'd choose RSD. The front nine will not blow you away, but is solid golf. The back nine is exceptional. I found Conwy to be extremely tight and less fun. However, North Wales GC is just up the road from Conwy if you wish to play two rounds.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2024, 05:33:44 PM »
The North Wales coast isn’t my patch but RStD at Harlech is damn good. Challenging too. And they have onsite dormy accommodation.
Atb

Frank M

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2024, 10:08:31 PM »
Tommy: I've read that the back nine at Conwy has a lot of gorse and plays tight, but also that they have been completing work to thin it out and remove some. Have you been recently?

Thomas: It will be hard for me to pass on RSD. I wanted to see if there might be a push towards Conwy here, which might have changed my mind.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2024, 10:11:38 PM »
Frank, I have not been there in 6 or 7 years. If I were you, I'd go to RSD.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Richard Fisher

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2024, 05:07:09 AM »
Trying, and failing, to be remotely objective - there is only one answer here. Conwy is very good but RSD (of which - full disclosure -  I was President until about a month ago) is a class above. It's also currently in fab condition, not least (which you might want to be aware of) as the Welsh Championships (male and female) are being played at Harlech at the end of this month. Do have a look at Ran's RSD profile on this site.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2024, 06:35:16 AM »
If you are a good boy and play your cards right you might be able to play both as one of the ways to drive from Merseyside to RStD is via Conwy!
Atb

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 03:26:45 AM »
Conwy hosted a recent Curtis Cup. If you are a collector of event sites, there's that.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Frank M

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2024, 03:01:34 PM »
Richard: Thank you for the insights. It seems to be the general consensus.

Ronald: I actually watched that Curtis Cup. Or at least a day of it. Events don't really entice me one way or the other, but there is something about playing a course I've seen on a screen.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back