News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Re: Why do visitors to GB&I feel the need to hire a caddy?
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2024, 10:50:52 PM »
Not meaning to hijack the thread but why would you play 8 rounds in 9 days when there is so much to see and do that isn't golf?
It depends who you are with and the purpose of your trip.  When I go with my buddies on a golf trip then we want to play as much golf as possible.  We will plan to play at least one round per day.  We go on trips to Florida and Cabot Cape Breton and typically play 36 holes per day.

If I am going with my girlfriend then I will play much less golf and see lots of other things, assuming that it is a partial golf vacation. Or I will not play any golf at all.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2024, 10:54:06 PM »
You may be underestimating how many of these visitors play most of their golf at their home courses with a caddy.
Do that many courses in the US have caddies?  I thought that these days that this was primarily only at a handful of "elite" courses, primarily in the NE and in Chicago, and a handful of other places.
Here in Canada at private clubs caddies are almost extinct.  And from other commentators on this thread that also seems to be the case in Aus.

John Handley

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2024, 11:01:31 PM »
Dear Craig-

"Not meaning to hijack the thread but why would you play 8 rounds in 9 days when there is so much to see and do that isn't golf?"
[/size][/color]
[/size]When I go on a golf trip, it's a golf trip.  We have a leisurely breakfast, walk around if we want, head to the course, experience the clubhouse, have a great lunch, beers, and talk to members, then we play golf, go into the clubhouse and have an apres beverage, go to the hotel, go out to dinner, listen to music/smoke cigars/whatever.  Then do it all over again.[/color]

[/size]It's 8-12 guys who want to do the exact thing.  We have a great time, laugh like crazy, play fabulous golf courses, and cannot wait until the next trip.[/color]

[/size]If I want to go sightseeing, I take my family.  You can do your golf trips the way you want.  Mine are just fine.[/color]

[/size]I'll be playing Royal Lytham, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Walton Heath Old, and The Berkshire Red Course in August with 11 of my buddies.  And I cannot wait.  And guess what......we are taking caddies!  [/color] ;D ;D

2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Jason Thurman

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2024, 11:14:21 PM »
Dear Craig-

"Not meaning to hijack the thread but why would you play 8 rounds in 9 days when there is so much to see and do that isn't golf?"

When I go on a golf trip, it's a golf trip.  We have a leisurely breakfast, walk around if we want, head to the course, experience the clubhouse, have a great lunch, beers, and talk to members, then we play golf, go into the clubhouse and have an apres beverage, go to the hotel, go out to dinner, listen to music/smoke cigars/whatever.  Then do it all over again.

It's 8-12 guys who want to do the exact thing.  We have a great time, laugh like crazy, play fabulous golf courses, and cannot wait until the next trip.

If I want to go sightseeing, I take my family.  You can do your golf trips the way you want.  Mine are just fine.

I'll be playing Royal Lytham, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Walton Heath Old, and The Berkshire Red Course in August with 11 of my buddies.  And I cannot wait.  And guess what......we are taking caddies! 
;D ;D

Sounds like killer trips.

I can take or leave caddies, but the only reason I wouldn't understand if somebody wanted to play 8 rounds in 9 days on a trip would be if they instead wanted to play 14 rounds.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Handley

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2024, 12:00:21 AM »
Jason-

you are the perfect candidate.

www.legendarygolftrips.com

the only reason we play 9 instead of 14 is because we are now in our 50's.   :)
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Thomas Dai

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2024, 03:28:53 AM »
Fascinating replies. Thanks folks.
Atb

Niall C

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2024, 06:05:39 AM »
It’s the same plate of food and bottle of wine whether the waiter puts them down in front of you with saying a word or a good waiter and sommelier describe them to you. However I know which enhances the experience more.

At Royal St George’s with it’s blind shots, false fronts, hidden bunkers, etc I’d say a good fore caddie is well work the cost to a pair or foresome.

Presumably the waiter/sommelier getting out the way and letting you get on with the meal ?

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2024, 06:29:12 AM »
Honestly ... to support the club and community.

Dan

You'll need to explain that one to me. How does taking a caddy support the club or even the community ? How does the club benefit ?

Niall

John Foley

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2024, 09:15:29 AM »
Just returned from my first trip (of hopefully many more) to Scotland. I usually organize our buddy trips and love doing it. For this one we hired a tour provider and went all in on caddies. 6 rounds in 8 days.

Not everyone was excited about handing over 100 pounds to have a stranger guide them around the course. Some were great (Carnoustie, Old, New & NB) some were JR's that are getting started (Gullane & Kingsbarns). Everyone loves the walk and the burden of not having to carry or push is worth something.

In the end it's about the personal connection, the stories and the laughs. Hearing about their families, their history and where life hopefully takes them. I know I'm better off for meeting them and I hope they are each sitting around the pub afterwards telling their friend had a few good blokes from the states today and they get a smile.  Cant wait to go back!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Niall C

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2024, 10:10:04 AM »
Let me think about this for a moment, you pay some random bloke you've never met £100 to ramble on about their life and family ? It's certainly an interesting concept but not sure I'd be desperate to give it a try. I think I'd much rather enjoy the shared experience with my playing partners/good friends without upsetting that dynamic and as an aside save the £100 to pay for the after-golf festivities.

Might even splurge some of that £100 to hire an electric trolley to ease the burden.

Niall

Jeff Schley

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2024, 10:14:38 AM »
Let me think about this for a moment, you pay some random bloke you've never met £100 to ramble on about their life and family ? It's certainly an interesting concept but not sure I'd be desperate to give it a try. I think I'd much rather enjoy the shared experience with my playing partners/good friends without upsetting that dynamic and as an aside save the £100 to pay for the after-golf festivities.

Might even splurge some of that £100 to hire an electric trolley to ease the burden.

Niall
Niall,
What is the issue? So you don't like using a caddie, then don't.  Some do and actually enjoy doing so, I don't think they should be shamed for it. Even fellow posters here, Sven and Chappers, even others who are vets providing a good service.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Niall C

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2024, 10:48:02 AM »
Jeff

I don't have an issue but it appears that you might. What is it about my gentle mocking of some pretty weak reasons for taking caddies that has got you flustered ?

Niall

Jeff Schley

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2024, 11:15:42 AM »
Jeff

I don't have an issue but it appears that you might. What is it about my gentle mocking of some pretty weak reasons for taking caddies that has got you flustered ?

Niall
I'm sorry, you are right Niall, they are worthless. Is there a petition I need to sign? I hope Labour is bringing this to the forefront while they have some momentum. :)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jason Thurman

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2024, 11:41:18 AM »
You may be underestimating how many of these visitors play most of their golf at their home courses with a caddy.
Do that many courses in the US have caddies?  I thought that these days that this was primarily only at a handful of "elite" courses, primarily in the NE and in Chicago, and a handful of other places.
Here in Canada at private clubs caddies are almost extinct.  And from other commentators on this thread that also seems to be the case in Aus.

There are a lot of clubs with caddies in the US, and it's very regional. I grew up in Kentucky and I can name two courses in the state that have caddies off the top of my head. There might be a few more, but I'd be surprised if the number reaches double digits.

I now live 4 miles across the river from Kentucky, in Cincinnati. Without even pausing to think, I can name 8 clubs in Cincinnati that have an active caddie program. It wouldn't surprise me if there are 50+ clubs in Ohio that have caddies.

I know plenty of golfers who are, like, shocked and intimidated by the whole notion of playing a round with a caddie and who have never even considered the idea of doing so. I know other golfers who log over 100 rounds a year with caddies and who would never walk without one.

When I saw a group at Brora playing with caddies, I knew they were tourists. Is that almost always the case in GBI - that caddies are primarily used for visitor rounds - or are there also clubs where it's very common for members to play with a caddie?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2024, 11:43:22 AM »
My first trip to Scotland was in 1990.
Had the same caddies for 4 rounds at Turnberry, Troon, Prestwick and Western Gailes.

After our last round, the caddies took us to their pub in Troon for a few pints and an early supper before we drove on to St. Andrews. Great fun.

At TOC, we had local member/caddies who we then accompanied to the "members clubhouse" after our round where we met a group of gents playing in an "Ireland/Scotland" club secretaries matches. One thing led to another and they invited us to join them the next day at Ladybank as a 4-some in their group were late no-shows.

We were all staying at the Rusack's and we also joined them for dinner and drinks. It was a great experience all because of the caddies.

We then met up with the same caddies two days later and played with them on the New course as their guests.
(We were supposed to play Scotscraig, but happily switched.)

I have since been back to Scotland more than 25 times and I never take a caddy now (except at a place like Castle Stuart where I usually am flying into Inverness en route to Dornoch). But, back then, it was an incredible introduction to how/why golf is just a more personal experience in the UK if that is what you seek or value.

Now, that said, I was with a group of 8 in September in Sandwich playing Royal St. George's, Royal Cinque Portes and Rye and we did take caddies at Sandwich and Deal for one round (played 36 at both) and it was helpful 1) on the body and 2) navigating parts of the course.

This same group is going to Liverpool next May and we plan on going "bare back" with just trollies...;-)

If US golfers are going over for the first time, then caddies can be a real treat especially if its a tour group situatiuon with 6-8 days of straight golf. Plus, as others have said, it's just not THAT much more expense relative to the entire trip.

More intrpid golfers who play the "next tier" of courses never take caddies.
It seems to be the domain of the "rota venues" plus the Kigsbarns and Castle Stuarts.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2024, 12:18:34 PM »
Obviously its so that someone is there to boot our ball 40 yards up the fairway, dig it out of the bush and fluff our lie so that we can claim a low single digit handicap and win all those club championships.  After all, that’s the American way.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2024, 12:23:22 PM »
Caddie threads always elicit strong feelings. I'll never understand why there are such anti-caddie feelings. I will take one periodically. County Down and Portrush are difficult to navigate without a caddie and his sharp eyes. At Portmornock and Baltray, a caddie is a nice luxury. I took one for the second round at my home club (no longer there). A caddie is helpful if it is your first time playing in GB&I. They can help you score better.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2024, 12:35:37 PM »
Obviously its so that someone is there to boot our ball 40 yards up the fairway, dig it out of the bush and fluff our lie so that we can claim a low single digit handicap and win all those club championships.  After all, that’s the American way.

Hmmm...dont think so.

Club championships are not "net events" and having someone else do your cheating for you is NOT American.

The "American way", Sven, is for golfers to shoot a 75 but post a 78 so their index does not go down.

Caddies are not accessories to this deception, especially in the UK.

;D ;D

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2024, 12:38:05 PM »
Straight over your head, Ian.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Paul Jones

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2024, 12:50:22 PM »
I live in Louisiana and no such thing as a caddie in this state... whenever I travel, I will always take a caddie as it is like a treat that I am willing to pay for.  If I play a 2nd loop on the same course, I usually will not take a caddie, but otherwise I always request a caddie.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jon Claydon

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2024, 01:15:53 PM »
to have someone to blame for bad shots and missed putts of course. 

Sean_A

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2024, 01:25:24 PM »
to have someone to blame for bad shots and missed putts of course.

I blame the sun.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2024, 02:57:05 PM »
In all seriousness, I can see how if you don’t like people taking a caddie wouldn’t be for you.  I can also see how if one thinks all caddies are going to ramble about their personal life (something a good caddie would never do) you also wouldn’t want to take a caddie.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2024, 04:00:38 PM »
Sven,

There is a difference between UK&I caddies and US resort caddies in terms of the gift of gab. Over there, very few are professional caddies which as noted in my prior post, we appreciated on our trips.

Having said that, anyone who goes to Bandon and does not check if Sven is available is making a mistake.

Ira

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2024, 04:41:59 PM »
Ira:

Maybe I got lucky but every caddie on my one Ireland trip was a pro, except for the two kids they gave us for the Cashen that were wearing their big brothers’ honor caddie bibs.  And those two didn’t say much.

Sven

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back