News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Scottish Open at Renaissance: 14/07/24
« on: July 07, 2024, 05:35:19 PM »
That’s next Sunday, 12th of July. We’re going to be there. Anyone else planning on visiting? Be great to catch up for a wee Tennent’s!
Cheers
F
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 05:52:29 AM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Scottish Open at Renaissance: 12/07/24
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 05:42:23 AM »
That’s next Sunday, 12th of July. We’re going to be there. Anyone else planning on visiting? Be great to catch up for a wee Tennent’s!
Cheers
F

Marty, the 12th is a Friday, so will you be marching the fairways in your brightest orange golf apparel?  ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 05:44:32 AM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Marty Bonnar

Re: Scottish Open at Renaissance: 14/07/24 (fixed!)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 05:49:07 AM »
Cheers
F

Marty, the 12th is a Friday, so will you be marching the fairways in your brightest orange golf wardrobe?  ;D

Oh crap! I meant the 14th. I was so pre-occupied with doing the date in European style and not American that I lost it!
Re the 12th. I grew up in west central Scotland, so was exposed to all of that marching nonsense from an early age. The one redeeming factor was the local flute band always stopping outside the police station and playing the theme tune to z-cars. Hilarious!
F.

Thomas Dai

Re: Scottish Open at Renaissance: 14/07/24
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2024, 06:39:50 AM »
There’s a Dutch pro and a Scottish pro (one based in the Renaissance area) who regularly wear orange. I trust they will get their day/dates and dress sense in order.
Atb

Bruce Katona

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2024, 12:37:47 PM »
Are we celebrating the storming The Bastille in Paris?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2024, 02:18:58 PM »
Are we celebrating the storming The Bastille in Paris?

Not necessarily, but I may well have a glass of something French!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2024, 03:35:52 PM »
When the Scottish Open was held at Renaissance a few years back Sky TV had Tom Doak in the commentary box for a while. This resulted in some very insightful comments and observations.
It would be nice if it were to be repeated (subject to TD being available and happy to be involved).
Atb

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2024, 06:24:42 AM »
Worth watching if for nothing else to view the infrastructure that’s been put in place for this weeks SO. Note the amphitheatre around the par-3 by the clubhouse. Shades of TPC Scottsdale although the locals this week being good folks won’t be drinking alcohol and throwing tins but will likely be sipping Irn Bru and carefully placing the empties in the recycling bins instead! :)
You may wish to turn the volume down or off before watching as it might not be to all tastes.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9IAbsvMPw5o
Atb

PS - here’s Golf Digest hole by hole YouTube piece on the course at the Renaissance Club -
[size=78%]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_-AxrdWym3Q[/size]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 06:35:55 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2024, 09:24:03 AM »
When the Scottish Open was held at Renaissance a few years back Sky TV had Tom Doak in the commentary box for a while. This resulted in some very insightful comments and observations.
It would be nice if it were to be repeated (subject to TD being available and happy to be involved).

I was there last week for a meeting with the two Tours to discuss future ideas for the course.  But, I'll be back working at Cabot Highlands this weekend when the event is on TV.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2024, 10:54:26 AM »
I was there last week for a meeting with the two Tours to discuss future ideas for the course.  But, I'll be back working at Cabot Highlands this weekend when the event is on TV.
Hope Cabot Highlands is progressing well. Shame you’re not once more ‘in the box’ for the SO as the last time was very insightful.
Atb

Michael Morandi

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2024, 11:12:42 AM »
Future ideas?  Does that mean you are amenable to changes to suit tour pros? What are the implications for some of your designs?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2024, 01:46:56 PM »

Future ideas?  Does that mean you are amenable to changes to suit tour pros? What are the implications for some of your designs?

It doesn't mean anything, necessarily.  But the Tours are sure to have opinions about every hole, so it's important for me to talk through the holes with them, whether I want to change anything or not.

Plus, they are assessing whether to continue playing the event there over the longer term, and they want to know what a long-term plan for that might be.  You could say that it's all a negotiation, which is not my usual approach to design.

One thing that was discussed this year was a possible renumbering of the holes [yet again].  The sequence the pros play is very convoluted, creating some really awkward green-to-tee walks as a result of the Tour
(a) wanting a two-tee start,
(b) not wanting to use the actual 10th hole as the other starting point because it's remote and it's a hard shot, and
(c) also [surprisingly] wanting the holes on the point to come later in the round so they'll be on TV more.

The hard thing about The Renaissance Club is that the schedule is the opposite of Augusta's . . . they play the event right in the middle of a short golf season, so there's no way to make any significant changes and get them back into proper condition in time for the same event the next year.  Links turf doesn't allow for that.  I guess maybe that's a good thing because it makes them more circumspect on wanting to change anything; the ideal of perfect conditions seems to trump design considerations.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2024, 12:12:42 PM »
Anyone know why Jim Nantz pronounces the course name as reh-NAY-sanz? Is that how people pronounce it locally?

Edit: I've now found YouTube videos that pronounce it both ways, depending on origin. But isn't the name based on Tom's design firm name? Did REN-uh-sanz Golf Design create reh-NAY-sanz Golf Club? Maybe only Tom can say definitively.

(I'm not trying to make a big deal about this; I've just been curious because Nantz had mentioned it a couple times during broadcasts over the last couple months.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 01:01:52 PM by Mark Kiely »
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2024, 01:14:15 PM »
Mark,

As I understand it, its just a UK vs US pronunciation thing.

Try this: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/renaissance

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2024, 01:25:51 PM »
Tom, what was your thinking when designing the round teeing areas?  They do match the fluidity of the fairway lines but I’ve always been a sucker for squared tees.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2024, 02:49:07 PM »
So Marty, will you be following the final pairings tomorrow?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2024, 03:43:15 PM »
So Marty, will you be following the final pairings tomorrow?

Be lucky to get within 100m of our Bob!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2024, 04:18:24 PM »
Tom, what was your thinking when designing the round teeing areas?  They do match the fluidity of the fairway lines but I’ve always been a sucker for squared tees.

I prefer free form tees with no obvious shape, but they have evolved toward round after 18 years of mowing at TRC.

I hope Marty and others get a good day tomorrow.  I’m up north working (or possibly playing golf!).

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2024, 12:01:19 PM »
Somewhat surprised how much I’m enjoying the broadcast.  Appears to be true lay-of-the-land design that is, for lack of a better description, easy on the eyes.  I suspect the vistas are quite stunning and do justice to the land. Perhaps a 10 for the raters’ walk-in-the-park criterion.

Quite Ross-ish in defending par on and around the greens, which appear complex on the tele and likely even more challenging in person. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2024, 12:09:06 PM »
Trying to watch this event, but I am totally confused by the hole numbering. Anyone know what it is?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2024, 12:19:39 PM »
Trying to watch this event, but I am totally confused by the hole numbering. Anyone know what it is?

Ciao

Sean if you view it in Google Maps.

Hole 1 tee is directly south of clubhouse, Hole 2 then returns back.
Hole 3 tee is east of clubhouse, returns after 3 hole loop.
Hole 6 tee is west of clubhouse, a short par 3
Hole 7 tee is north of clubhouse and returns to general proximity of clubhouse at 9 another par 3 (near 7 tee).
Hole 10 tee is then further west of clubhouse, past the 6th, and hopefully you can figure out the return to clubhouse from there.

P.S  16 green to 17 tee (par 3) walks past hole 7 green and 8 tee.

Hope this helps :)

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2024, 01:23:43 PM »

Ciao

Hole 7 tee is north of clubhouse and returns to general proximity of clubhouse at 9 another par 3 (near 7 tee).
Hole 10 tee is then further west of clubhouse, past the 6th, and hopefully you can figure out the return to clubhouse from there.

That’s normal numbering, no?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2024, 01:37:44 PM »

Ciao

That’s normal numbering, no?

Ciao

Its "normal" relative to what its been the last few years as I understand it.

However, the member routing and the tournament routing in 2019 were different.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2024, 01:39:31 PM »
Kalen,

The course is rerouted to bring the 10th closer to the clubhouse and prevent the players beginning with a difficult shot for their opening shot with split tees for starting.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2024, 01:49:27 PM »
Kalen,

The course is rerouted to bring the 10th closer to the clubhouse and prevent the players beginning with a difficult shot for their opening shot with split tees for starting.

Yea I get they change stuff up for tournaments.

With the Scottish Open routing:

- Its a 150 yard walk from 6 green to 7 tee.
- 250 yard walk from 16 green to 17 tee.
- 300+ yard walk from 9 green to 10 tee.

I'm guessing Tom didn't have that in mind when creating his original routing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back