News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Re: Is there a destination golf bubble forming?
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2024, 11:06:01 PM »
I called Pinehurst this Spring to inquire about their stay & play requirements and was told #s 2, 4 and 10 will all require at least one nights’ stay, and these three courses won’t take daily walkups.
Was this for their high season?  I wonder if it is the same in January/February?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2024, 11:09:13 PM »
I think some of these resorts can make sense.  For those of us that have real winters and want to do a winter golf trip to Florida, where can you go for quality golf?  There is lots of mediocre places, but very few resorts or even cities that have world class courses.  Streamsong came along and kind of filled that void, and now we have Cabot Citrus about to join it.

How many world-class courses can be built before some of them no longer qualify as world class?

Cabot Citrus is interesting... it appears they're on their way to being one more $300+ per round destination, joining Sawgrass and Bay Hill and Streamsong and Doral and others in Florida alone. For the last few years, whenever I've traveled to high end destination courses, I don't exactly get a sense that there's a lack of demand due to market oversaturation.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are plenty of affordable golf resorts that my local friends still look forward to visiting for their annual buddies' #CansAndCarts weekends. We don't talk much on this site about Peninsula, Perry Park, and Fairway in Wheatley, but they stay booked solid all season long. With many Michiganders! I cannot believe that people drive 6+ hours to get to Bright Leaf specifically, but they do.

It's the World Woods-type courses that seem like they're disappearing - places that are reasonably affordable and also provide very good and interesting architecture. I tried to come up with a good spring thaw-out trip earlier this year. I wanted to find a spot in the Southeast US that was semi-reasonably priced while still offering interesting architecture. Seemed like the options were basically "Come up with a package in the Southern Pines region, or go to Mossy Oak/Old Waverley."

I guess my hope would be that there IS a destination golf bubble forming, and that when it bursts, we'll have a lot more options in that "just right" pocket that I was looking for. But I'm not holding my breath - I suspect it's another case of the disappearing middle class.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2024, 11:47:27 PM »
No joking, I was told Streamsong charges $4.50 for a cup of ice -- could this possibly be true?
Only if you're soft capped. Otherwise it costs $1.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2024, 01:13:03 AM »
How many world-class courses can be built before some of them no longer qualify as world class?

I guess my hope would be that there IS a destination golf bubble forming, and that when it bursts, we'll have a lot more options in that "just right" pocket that I was looking for. But I'm not holding my breath - I suspect it's another case of the disappearing middle class.

When the following courses are all online and open to play you may get your wish.
[/size]
[/size]1. Calusa Creek Ranch #1 and #2 (Florida) 2026
[/size]2. Cabot Citrus Farms (Florida) 2024 - 2025
[/size]3. Fall Line East Course (Georgia) 2024
[/size]4. Fall Line  #2 (Georgia) 2025
[/size]5. Wild Springs Dunes #1 and #2 (Texas) 2025
[/size]5. Pinehurst #11 (North Carolina) 2027
[/size]6. Rodeo Dunes #1 and #2 (Colorado) 2025 & 2027
[/size]7. Sand Valley - Commons (Wisconsin) 2025
[/size]8. Trout National - The Reserve (New Jersey) 2025
[/size]9. Thornburgh Resort - Tribute Club (Oregon) 2024
[/size]10. Kiawah Island - Orange Hill (South Carolina) 2026
[/size]11. McLemore - The Keep (Georgia) 2024
[/size]12. Gamble Sands #2 (Washington) 2025
[/size]13. Childress Hall #1 and #2 (Texas) 2025 & 2026
[/size]14. Wild Springs Dunes #1 and #2 (Texas) 2025
[/size]
[/size]No way you can convince me when all this excess inventory becomes available all will be successful. There will be casualties that will result in crazy deals and, perhaps, reduced rates at the established destination resorts to compete for player rounds. This coupled with all the exclusive private club resort/residential properties set to go live over the next three years portends trouble for investors and the golf industry as a whole.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2024, 10:40:45 AM »
I think you have to differentiate between courses at places like Cabot Citrus, Sand Valley, Bandon, etc, where the course is in a relatively remote location with a limited number of golf courses, vs a place like Pinehurst or Kiawah where there may be dozens of courses in the area.  Pinehurst #11 will likely just draw traffic away from the other courses in the area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back