News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Re: Why have so few tour pros been good golf course designers?
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2024, 01:50:24 PM »
It's an entirely different skill set, very few possess those skills

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jim Hoak

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2024, 02:33:32 PM »
As said by others, I think the answer is fairly simple.  The talent and skills for success are not similar.   For the same reason, many--or most--of the great players are not great golf instructors either.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 04:14:57 PM by Jim Hoak »

Niall C

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2024, 08:20:32 AM »

If you say to them that amateurs would all quit if forced to play such a course, or vote with their feet and go somewhere else, they will laugh and understand that.  But that doesn't change their view on what good architecture is, or what's fair.  Their perspective is all geared toward playing for money against other great players; it's not about playing for fun.  And mine probably would be different, too, if I were that good.

I wonder if Tour players really distinguish between design and set up or do they not bother with the distinction ?

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back