News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Re: 2024 Visitor Fees UK & Ireland
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2024, 03:37:23 PM »
It appears that supply and demand is also working in a perverse way in UK & Ireland courses as the demand for overseas play has apparently increased when clubs upped their fees.  A £30 course was deemed to be not worth playing but if the same course charged £150 then all of a sudden there was more interest.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2024, 03:38:39 PM »
Veblen goods behave this way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 03:40:11 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2024, 04:01:56 PM »
Exactly - but most people don't understand the term.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2024, 04:13:00 PM »
Not just courses. Golf is absolutely stacked full of Veblen goods.
Atb

Ken Moum

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2024, 10:21:59 AM »
Not just courses. Golf is absolutely stacked full of Veblen goods.
Atb

Case in point, Honma 5-star irons.

That are $5,000.00

EACH!
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2024, 05:45:19 PM »
It appears that supply and demand is also working in a perverse way in UK & Ireland courses as the demand for overseas play has apparently increased when clubs upped their fees.  A £30 course was deemed to be not worth playing but if the same course charged £150 then all of a sudden there was more interest.

Wayne can you provide any evidence beyond "it appears"? 
I hear this all the time but I've yet to see any hard evidence. As others have stated many tourists buy a package and have no idea what each green fee is.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2024, 06:05:30 PM »
I have no evidence on this but I believe that this was mentioned in a blog posting by UK Golf Guy when he was talking about the increase in prices for some of the lesser known top 100 courses.
Here is a quote:  (source - https://www.ukgolfguy.com/golf-blog/2023-green-fees)
The tourists are back
Visitors from overseas, particularly the US, have come back with a vengeance. Golfers from across the world are flocking back to play our golf courses. And they usually don’t mind paying an extra £50 to play. Such is the cost of some of those trips, it just gets lost in the rounding.
One tour operator put it to me like this, ‘A lot of foreign visitors have decided since Covid they will do whatever it takes to come to play in the UK and Ireland. Hotels, transport and green fees are all going up but I barely have a single discussion about the overall cost, they just want to know they can get on the courses’.
I have talked before about the weird phenomenon where some clubs have increased their green fees considerably over recent years because overseas visitors believe it must be a better course if it’s so expensive!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2024, 04:19:45 AM »

I hear this all the time but I've yet to see any hard evidence. As others have stated many tourists buy a package and have no idea what each green fee is.
Visitor numbers at both Crail and Elie have increased since fees went above £100.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2024, 01:00:39 PM »
Visitor numbers at both Crail and Elie have increased since fees went above £100.
How much was the increase - was it very significant?  Didn't some places go from like  £40 to over  £100?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2024, 01:20:43 PM »
How much was the increase - was it very significant?  Didn't some places go from like  £40 to over  £100?
I *think* £60-£120 at Crail, £80-£120 at Elie.  So significant.  And, to be fair, Elie has very limited visitor slots in the peak Summer anyway.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2024, 01:26:54 PM »
Fee increases have had the opposite impact for me, but then I don't purchase pre-packaged trips. However, there are courses that I used to play because their low fees offset some of the premium clubs. I still enjoyed playing them, even though they clearly weren't at the same level. Now that those courses have doubled (maybe even tripled) their prices, there is no way I'm going back. Once the gap closed to about a $100 difference between some very average courses and a few of the really good ones, I'll just suck it up and play the really good ones more often. Charging me triple the price for an average course isn't going to suddenly convince me it's great. It'll just make me feel like I got ripped off.

Craig Disher

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2024, 02:14:38 PM »
I *think* £60-£120 at Crail, £80-£120 at Elie.  So significant.  And, to be fair, Elie has very limited visitor slots in the peak Summer anyway.
Same at St. Enodoc. Now 150GBP and no decline in play. IMO, that's a bargain - about the same as a nice dinner at Rick Stein's seafood restaurant.

Pierre_C

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2024, 06:34:35 PM »

Sunningdale member's guest is £65/round.

Sunningdale Old or New is £350 for either and £600 for both. Not sure the - very helpful - chart makes this particularly clear.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 06:36:12 PM by Pierre_C »
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2024, 03:54:22 AM »
There seems to be an element of entitlement in this thread in relation to private members clubs.
Perhaps folks should consider themselves fortunate that so many private clubs are prepared irrespective of paying a fee, to let those who are not members or accompanied members guests onto their premises.
Would you let a group of folks you’ve never met before into your garden or backyard to thrash away at your manicured lawn and shrubs and enter your house?
Gratitude and respect rather than entitlement?
Atb

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 10:52:01 AM »
Tony and Wayne, all the courses that have seen an increase in visitor play after increasing the fees, have seen so as the result of increased visitor traffic in the area and a lack of capacity in the more high profile courses, so the golfers need to go somewhere to fill their schedules.
If a low profile course in an area off the tourist trail increased their fees from a base of 30-50 pounds or euros to 300 they would lose all their business.
On the tourist trails most pay a package fee and don't know the individual price per course, this is the main driver behind the increase in prices.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back