News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schoolfield

Ingleside Golf Links, SF, CA
« on: June 26, 2024, 08:57:58 PM »
I've never seen, nor heard of this course before:

Here as a more zoomed out image, so you can see it in relation to SFGC, Harding, Olympic, Lake Merced:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 02:41:53 AM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Jon Cavalier

Ingleside Golf Course.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Matt Schoolfield

Ingleside Golf Course.
Thanks, if you have any more info, feel free to send it my way. Adding it to the wiki now.

I now see this previous thread: https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=35537.0

and here: https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35387.msg718362.html#msg718362
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 09:24:16 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Pete_Pittock

Matt Schoolfield

real early GCA thread
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=35537.0
never mind
I do appreciate the effort. I haven't been able to find anything substantial about it, except some casual speculation, so every little bit helps.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matt Schoolfield

Okay fellow Bay Area golf nerds. I happened to be working at the public library, and talked to the librarian, and now have access to the library databases. Here is the first nugget I found:

Ingleside golf course was selected as the site for the 1917 Northern California Golf Association championship. . . H. C. JENKINS was named chairman of the handicapping committee.

San Francisco Chronicle - March 6, 1942 - page 19
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 09:46:14 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matt Schoolfield

Re: Ingleside Golf Course, SF, CA
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2024, 09:53:41 PM »

San Francisco Chronicle - September 25, 1941 - page 20

I've included the fun anecdote about the Red's and Blue's playing each other at Olympic just for fun.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 09:59:20 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2024, 10:03:05 PM »

San Francisco Chronicle - October 24, 1939 - page 25

Grassing experiments. I apologize if this is all too mundane for many of you. I've started leaving off all the match victory news. I'm learning that the news of who won basically every single tournament was published in the newspaper.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2024, 10:11:22 PM »
My understanding is the group who founded the golf course in the Presidio in the 1890's left that course to build a new course in the Ingleside area sometime around 1900. They left that course within 20 years to build what is now the San Francisco Golf Club.

I do not know what happened to the Ingleside course after the group left for SFGC or if the course in your photos is that course. 

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2024, 10:25:14 PM »
Here is the first article that seems to tie the course to SFGC:

The San Francisco Examiner (1902-); San Francisco, California. 13 Oct 1907: 46.   

At the San Francisco Golf and Country Club's course at Ingleside golf is somewhat of a dead letter. although it is expectted that play will commence in earnest within a few weeks. The Ingleside course is far and away the best in or around San Francisco, and it seems a pity that the players should have neglected it of late. There is talk of arranging a series of weekly handicaps for the fall and winter season, and if interest is around in this way it is certain that the course will get it's full share of play.

GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Michael Morandi

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2024, 10:32:38 PM »
From the CalClub homepage:

The California Golf Club of San Francisco (better known as "Cal Club")  was founded in 1918 and was originally located in Ingleside, southwest of San Francisco on land leased from the Spring Valley Water Company. Unable to obtain a long term lease from the water company, the club purchased approximately 425 acres down the Peninsula in 1924.  The land was part of the original Baden Farm and its rolling hills, timbered land and views of the bay created an ideal setting for a world class golf course.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2024, 10:32:50 PM »
Funny the story mention that soldiers potentially can't afford the "two bits" green fee at the Presidio.  That's 25 cents.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2024, 10:35:00 PM »
Okay, I'm heading home from the library. The last think I'll note is that the news papers much more commonly call the course "Ingleside Golf Links" at least up until the nineteen-teens. So, that's the name I've placed on the wiki.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 10:37:50 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2024, 10:39:03 PM »
Maybe the California Golf Club was formed to take over the Ingleside course that the prior group left to build SFGC. I think SFGC was built in 1917. The Presidio Golf Club was formed to take over the course in the Presidio when the original group left for Ingleside.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 10:44:17 PM by David_Tepper »

Phil Young

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2024, 10:52:51 PM »
David, the San Francisco Golf Club was formed in the latter part of 1895. On December, 22, 1895, an article in the San Francisco Call reported that, "The great game of golf...is soon to be...in San Francisco. Already the grounds have been prepared in a crude way on a tract of land west of the Presidio."
      The San Francisco Chronicle further reported, "Permission has been secured from General Graham to use the Presidio grounds for playing the game which has taken such a hold on the Eastern people."
      The original 9-hole course was designed by one of SFGC's founding members, the Scotsman, William Robertson, and its building overseen by another of its founding members, John Lawson, who were inspired by the memory of the golf courses in their native Scotland.
      The 2,143-yard course was first played on May 23rd, 1896. SFGC would be forced off the site in 1904 by Brigadier General Arthur MacArthur who President Taft let it be known that he would never become Taft's Chief of Staff for political reasons.  And so Macarthur took his anger out on the members of SFGC by using the grounds where the Presidio golf course was to be used as the site for the largest war games in U. S. History up to that time. The course itself was used by the cavalry and the site for artillery practice. He did this because a number of the members knew Taft and were supporters of him.
      The members SFGC were able to lease land in Ingleside and began building their new course. It opened for play on November 26th, 1905. It would be the course on which the 1915 Panama-Pacific-International-Exposition golf tournament would be contested.
      During 1916, the Club realized that they needed to move once again and leased the land on which the Club is now. The golf course was designed by several members and, along with its brand new clubhouse, officially opened for play on Washington's birthday, February 21st, 1918.
      The tale of how the course changed from that to the Tillinghast designed course is far too long a story to tell here.
      SFGC's Ingleside Golf Course would be used by the new Cal Club who, after they left to go to their current site, the new Ingleside Golf Club built their own new course. The land used was next to the SFGC Ingleside/Cal Club course site and some of it  may have been incorporated into the final course for the Ingleside golf club.
     David, check your email...   

« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 11:01:42 PM by Phil Young »

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2024, 11:25:04 PM »
Matt, here’s a link to some photos:
https://opensfhistory.org/NeighborhoodPhotos/Parkmerced
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2024, 02:42:42 AM »
David, the San Francisco Golf Club was formed in the latter part of 1895. On December, 22, 1895, an article in the San Francisco Call reported that, "The great game of golf...is soon to be...in San Francisco. Already the grounds have been prepared in a crude way on a tract of land west of the Presidio."
      The San Francisco Chronicle further reported, "Permission has been secured from General Graham to use the Presidio grounds for playing the game which has taken such a hold on the Eastern people."
      The original 9-hole course was designed by one of SFGC's founding members, the Scotsman, William Robertson, and its building overseen by another of its founding members, John Lawson, who were inspired by the memory of the golf courses in their native Scotland.
      The 2,143-yard course was first played on May 23rd, 1896. SFGC would be forced off the site in 1904 by Brigadier General Arthur MacArthur who President Taft let it be known that he would never become Taft's Chief of Staff for political reasons.  And so Macarthur took his anger out on the members of SFGC by using the grounds where the Presidio golf course was to be used as the site for the largest war games in U. S. History up to that time. The course itself was used by the cavalry and the site for artillery practice. He did this because a number of the members knew Taft and were supporters of him.
      The members SFGC were able to lease land in Ingleside and began building their new course. It opened for play on November 26th, 1905. It would be the course on which the 1915 Panama-Pacific-International-Exposition golf tournament would be contested.
      During 1916, the Club realized that they needed to move once again and leased the land on which the Club is now. The golf course was designed by several members and, along with its brand new clubhouse, officially opened for play on Washington's birthday, February 21st, 1918.
      The tale of how the course changed from that to the Tillinghast designed course is far too long a story to tell here.
      SFGC's Ingleside Golf Course would be used by the new Cal Club who, after they left to go to their current site, the new Ingleside Golf Club built their own new course. The land used was next to the SFGC Ingleside/Cal Club course site and some of it  may have been incorporated into the final course for the Ingleside golf club.
     David, check your email...   

Phil, if you've got a citation on this, I'd love to see it.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Phil Young

Re: Ingleside Golf Links, SF, CA
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2024, 07:38:17 AM »
The 2014 club history book: "History of San Francisco Golf Club."

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2024, 02:56:18 PM »
The 2014 club history book: "History of San Francisco Golf Club."
Thanks!
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2024, 05:39:57 PM »
Written by Phil Young.  I have a copy...very well done.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2024, 03:38:28 PM »
Written by Phil Young.  I have a copy...very well done.
Oh my, I feel silly, but at least I've got a line on a copy to read now.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 04:09:42 AM »
San Francisco Chronicle - January 6, 1923 - page 21

GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 04:12:55 AM »
San Francisco Chronicle - January 6, 1914 - page 40

GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 04:14:02 AM »
San Francisco Chronicle - November 4, 1929 - page 26

GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 04:15:04 AM »
I'm including this clipping I found, even though it does not reference Ingleside. It seems to be one of the headlines announcing the new plots for both SFGC and the Lakeside Club.

San Francisco Chronicle - October 14, 1916 - page 11

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:20:29 AM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back