News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: Protesters
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2024, 06:26:40 PM »
Hey - at least we haven’t needed to invoke Godwin’s Law.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2024, 08:32:05 PM »
Ridiculous
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Anthony Butler

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2024, 10:24:54 PM »

These days the idea of what constitutes a "protest" is completely out of bounds vs. what a normally functioning society should expect, and allow -- it is truly ridiculous.

Do you really believe that bullshit from yesterday might actually spur someone to "change their opinion"?

Chris:

I didn't see the protest; I don't watch golf on TV except for little bits of the majors.

The very problem nowadays is that no one seems willing to change their opinion on anything, so, no, these protests probably won't help.

If you didn't see it, how can you comment on it?

What took place yesterday in no way constituted a "protest" -- it was a criminal act that should be prosecuted harshly.

What's your opinion on the Jan. 6 'protesters' who actually killed people... should the people who provoked and conducted those activities be prosecuted 'harshly'?

Who are you referencing?
The irony here is that you need to be somewhat smart to play dumb effectively... If you need to know what I'm referencing here, let me know.

AB, play nice.  Surely you know the only person killed on 1/6 was shot by a cop.
Actually a Capital policemen died after being beaten by fire extinguisher by protestors. Can't remember if he died on the day or later. Five other policemen have died since due to mental/physical injuries.

I'm sorry that poor lady died but she disobeyed a direct order to stand back while trying to break into the House Chamber...
Next!

Chris Hughes

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2024, 02:58:12 AM »

These days the idea of what constitutes a "protest" is completely out of bounds vs. what a normally functioning society should expect, and allow -- it is truly ridiculous.

Do you really believe that bullshit from yesterday might actually spur someone to "change their opinion"?

Chris:

I didn't see the protest; I don't watch golf on TV except for little bits of the majors.

The very problem nowadays is that no one seems willing to change their opinion on anything, so, no, these protests probably won't help.

If you didn't see it, how can you comment on it?

What took place yesterday in no way constituted a "protest" -- it was a criminal act that should be prosecuted harshly.

What's your opinion on the Jan. 6 'protesters' who actually killed people... should the people who provoked and conducted those activities be prosecuted 'harshly'?

Who are you referencing?
The irony here is that you need to be somewhat smart to play dumb effectively... If you need to know what I'm referencing here, let me know.

AB, play nice.  Surely you know the only person killed on 1/6 was shot by a cop.

Five other policemen have died since due to mental/physical injuries.

What are their names?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2024, 05:32:37 AM »
Yet.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2024, 05:34:28 AM »
Yet.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2024, 05:38:42 AM »
As a UK resident I'm astonished by what, as far as I can tell, appears to be the suggestion that the 6 January "protests" were not violent, or were no worse than the protest the subject of this thread.  Am I misunderstanding the position Chris and Matt are taking?  This is a genuine question.  The more I see of US politics the more I know I don't, perhaps can't, understand it.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2024, 08:15:07 AM »
As a UK resident I'm astonished by what, as far as I can tell, appears to be the suggestion that the 6 January "protests" were not violent, or were no worse than the protest the subject of this thread.  Am I misunderstanding the position Chris and Matt are taking?  This is a genuine question.  The more I see of US politics the more I know I don't, perhaps can't, understand it.

Mark,
It was violent and you can’t even begin to compare the two.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2024, 09:09:23 AM »
The more I see of US politics the more I know I don't, perhaps can't, understand it.
You're not alone Mark.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2024, 10:41:21 AM »

Mark,

That makes two of us, and I've lived in the US my entire life.  What's going on now on the political landscape is beyond Alice in Wonderland kind of stuff.

mike_malone

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2024, 10:57:22 AM »
Let’s talk about the debate.
AKA Mayday

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2024, 12:01:29 PM »
How about go back to GCA.
Be the ball

Bruce Katona

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2024, 12:07:01 PM »
JK:

GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK.

I, FOR ONE AND ONLY SPEAK FOR MYSELF, ALWAYS ENJOY YOUR VERY INDIVIDAUL INSIGHT.

BK

Greg Hohman

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2024, 12:12:32 PM »
Let’s talk about the debate.
I like it, Mike. Then we would naturally move on to a celebrity, and then someone could turn on a tv and share here the first topic shown? It’s not impossible that the topic will be GCA.
newmonumentsgc.com

Ken Moum

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2024, 12:17:11 PM »

Five other policemen have died since due to mental/physical injuries.

What are their names?

Brian Sicknick was the officer who died the next day, but he was not beaten with a fire extinguisher.  He was exposed to pepper spray. 

He died of natural causes (a stroke) which has been blamed on the pepper spray.

Officers Gunther Hashida, Kyle DeFreytag, Jeffrey Smith, Howard Liebengood later committed suicide.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

JLahrman

« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2024, 01:08:53 PM »

Your nationality or country of residence is not the issue, I assure you.

Chris Hughes

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2024, 02:20:17 PM »
Am I misunderstanding the position Chris and Matt are taking? 

I have taken no position whatsoever on January 6th -- have made no comment/s on it, at all.

That said, was watching the news and they are reporting on a related Supreme Court ruling that came down today. 

I will leave it to the January 6th experts on this site to interpret the ramifications of said ruling...

https://nypost.com/2024/06/28/us-news/supreme-court-narrows-obstruction-charge-used-against-jan-6-capitol-rioters/

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2024, 03:25:07 PM »
I haven't referenced the events of January 6th, nor will I. Even bringing it up is a type of whataboutism that I do not find helpful to this discussion.

I think the protest at TPC River Highlands is relevant to golf culture simply because it is an example of our game being used as symbol, rightly or wrongly, in a climate change protest. Devolving that into any deeper, non-golf related, general political discussion is probably not going to be helpful. I could probably chat, over a pint, for hours about the state of post-post-war American decline, and the current demographic shifting in the two non-static political parties, but this is not the correct venue, it's off topic, and there is no beer.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 04:06:22 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2024, 09:07:01 PM »
As for climate change, we have the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcibOFk_ZdU
Chevron had to die.

As for J6, this decision was predictable. Basic statutory interpretation pointed to this outcome.
These issues are linked.

The wrong people have the power and they are using it in the wrong way.
Maybe this moves the needle in the right direction, just a little bit.

As for golf, see you in September.
Be well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back