News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lang

Dream Golf in NE TX (on sand not gumbo!)
« on: June 23, 2024, 09:54:34 PM »
 8)   Just saw this via an email... Doak & C&C at it again...

https://www.wildspringdunes.com/?mc_cid=9bc57e209a&mc_eid=a7f73815da

Yahoo, within driving distance... and relatively close to Pine Dunes in Frankston
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 09:58:27 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

David_Tepper

Re: Dream Golf in NE TX (on sand not gumbo!)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2024, 10:48:24 PM »

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2024, 11:10:33 PM »
Sounds like a good place for Dallas-Houston get together. I hope this is done before my course closes for 13 months in fall of 2025. I assume an opening date is mentioned somewhere. Scottie Scheffler will be doing a course with Chet Williams this side of Tyler which I hope is public knowledge or I have screwed up.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2024, 12:30:31 PM »
Scottie Scheffler will be doing a course with Chet Williams this side of Tyler which I hope is public knowledge or I have screwed up.

News to me!  [But I don't really follow all the new stuff going on, too busy with my own.]

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM »
Great. I bet I wasn’t supposed to know that. If it is some kind of state secret,I guess they blew it when I found out.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2024, 08:44:06 PM »
Great. I bet I wasn’t supposed to know that. If it is some kind of state secret,I guess they blew it when I found out.

You'd think Scottie's agent would put out a press release?

It's interesting to see that after a long lull, some of the active PGA Tour players are now lending their names to designs.  That was a thing from the 1990s until 2008, but then it completely evaporated until recently . . . Justin Thomas at Panther National, and I think I saw Jordan Spieth's name on something, too.  Good or bad, I don't know.

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2024, 11:20:52 PM »
 8)  ... and Brooks K ??
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2024, 11:23:28 PM »
It seems like there should be an announcement fairly soon. I am far from an insider, so if I know I expect others will as well. While details may be secret, seems difficult to hide a project too long.
I am excited you are doing something in east Texas. Always seemed strange there was not much good golf with all the land (and oil).

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2024, 11:30:32 AM »
8)  ... and Brooks K ??

Steve:

Brooks was the player consultant for our work on Memorial Park - the PGA Tour strongly encourages this to give its members a chance to be involved in design.  But as far as I know that’s the only design work Brooks has been involved in.

Cliff Walston

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2024, 03:51:16 PM »
Sounds like a good place for Dallas-Houston get together. I hope this is done before my course closes for 13 months in fall of 2025. I assume an opening date is mentioned somewhere. Scottie Scheffler will be doing a course with Chet Williams this side of Tyler which I hope is public knowledge or I have screwed up.

Chet has talked about the project on a podcast I believe, although not in conjunction with Scottie.  He described the property and its location such that I found the listing at the time.  Close to the interstate I believe, unless its another project up there.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2024, 05:10:18 PM »

There is some great land outside Tyler.  I was very surprised by what I saw. Not sand, but sandy loam and really good topo.  I've got wind of a few projects in planning there.

Matt Schoolfield

Re: Dream Golf in NE TX (on sand not gumbo!) New
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2024, 05:49:21 PM »

There is some great land outside Tyler.  I was very surprised by what I saw. Not sand, but sandy loam and really good topo.  I've got wind of a few projects in planning there.
Pretty wild to hear Tyler discussed here. As a kid, my parents sent me to camp out by Lake Palestine, and the region is a strangely beautiful one in Texas. Extremely different from the Hill Country or the coast. Dark green pines, a strange red dirt make for a really nice color palette. I think the red dirt is clay, so probably not what folks are working with out there, but it's really nostalgic for me.

Edit: found a soil map (PDF). Yes, it seems that the Tyler area I'm talking about is in the Woodtell-Crockett "Texas Claypan Area" (43), but Wild Spring Dunes is in the Cuthbert-Bowie-Kirvin "Western Coastal Plain and Flatwoods" (47).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 06:11:52 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back