News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Re: Stanley Thompson in Ohio ?
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2024, 01:18:13 PM »
Ian,

Are you doing any work on Sleepy Hollow?  One of my all time favorite public courses.

Regards,

Geoff

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2024, 02:10:12 PM »
Ian:

The April 6, 1924 Cleveland Plain Dealer noted the 9th as a 323 yard Par 4 and the 18th as a 342 yard par 4.  This was an early version of the course (credited to Thompson), and I believe the front nine of this course became the back nine when nine holes were added around 1928.  The old second nine (which was located across the street) was used as a course by at least two other organizations.  I don't have any information on who designed the nine added in 1928, and I am not sure what order of nines the course is played in now.

Here are the yardages from 1924 for the full 18, which might help (the article I have is fairly blurred out, so these might not be completely accurate):

Original Nine

1 - 295 Par 4
2 - 137 Par 3
3 - 284 Par 4
4 - 402 Par 4
5 - 393 Par 4
6 - 415 Par 4
7 - 397 Par 4
8 - ??? Par 3
9 - 323 Par 4

New Nine -

1 - 410 Par 4
2 - 465 Par 5
3 - 433 Par 4
4 - 435 Par 4
5 - 140 Par 3
6 - 325 Par 4
7 - 363 Par 4
8 - 233 Par 4
9 - 342 Par 4

Hope that helps.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ian Andrew

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2024, 10:45:08 PM »
Sven

The clubhouse was in a different location, so yes that is helpful,  just have to go through the holes and confirm. Thanks for that.

Geoffrey,

Yes, I put together a Master Plan for them. It’s probably 10 years of tree removal before anything else might happen. The canyon hole is where I think they need to focus first. They’ve started, but have lots more to remove.
Change is good.

Ryan Book

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2024, 11:33:05 AM »

Hello all....long time lurker, first time poster. Wanted to follow up with some earlier Plain Dealer coverage I dug up a few years ago that sheds some light on Sleepy Hollow's early days.

Per a 1922 Plain-Dealer article, the first nine holes at the property were designed by Harry Bandy (secretary of the Cleveland District Golf Association) and Howard Hollis (an acclaimed local golfer based out of Portage CC). That article states:

“Harry Bandy and Howard Hollinger, who have outlined the first nine holes, which they expect to be ready for play by mid-summer, have wisely utilized every facility accorded by nature. Their plan for the course follows the high ground in a manner that brings the hollows, rough, water and woods into the best possible play.”

This included the current holes 10, 11, 13-18.

Thompson arrived during 1924 and set about creating the current nos. 1-9 (perhaps why its par 3s are more eye-catching), as well as removing Bandy & Hollis's no. 12 and creating a new par three, which exists there today.

Bandy and Hollis clearly had some eye for potential holes -- the aforementioned "Canyon" hole was and may still be the most celebrated, and I've always enjoyed the preceding par four as well -- but in Bandy's own words, the pair were not destined to be great architects. A quote in that same article:

“We laid it out pretty well I thought...But we sort of forgot to get any grass on the greens. That was somewhat bad and had to be rectified.”

Ian:

The April 6, 1924 Cleveland Plain Dealer noted the 9th as a 323 yard Par 4 and the 18th as a 342 yard par 4.  This was an early version of the course (credited to Thompson), and I believe the front nine of this course became the back nine when nine holes were added around 1928.  The old second nine (which was located across the street) was used as a course by at least two other organizations.  I don't have any information on who designed the nine added in 1928, and I am not sure what order of nines the course is played in now.

Here are the yardages from 1924 for the full 18, which might help (the article I have is fairly blurred out, so these might not be completely accurate):

Original Nine

1 - 295 Par 4
2 - 137 Par 3
3 - 284 Par 4
4 - 402 Par 4
5 - 393 Par 4
6 - 415 Par 4
7 - 397 Par 4
8 - ??? Par 3
9 - 323 Par 4

New Nine -

1 - 410 Par 4
2 - 465 Par 5
3 - 433 Par 4
4 - 435 Par 4
5 - 140 Par 3
6 - 325 Par 4
7 - 363 Par 4
8 - 233 Par 4
9 - 342 Par 4

Hope that helps.

Sven
"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2024, 11:36:39 AM »

Hello all....long time lurker, first time poster. Wanted to follow up with some earlier Plain Dealer coverage I dug up a few years ago that sheds some light on Sleepy Hollow's early days.

Per a 1922 Plain-Dealer article, the first nine holes at the property were designed by Harry Bandy (secretary of the Cleveland District Golf Association) and Howard Hollis (an acclaimed local golfer based out of Portage CC). That article states:

“Harry Bandy and Howard Hollinger, who have outlined the first nine holes, which they expect to be ready for play by mid-summer, have wisely utilized every facility accorded by nature. Their plan for the course follows the high ground in a manner that brings the hollows, rough, water and woods into the best possible play.”

This included the current holes 10, 11, 13-18.

Thompson arrived during 1924 and set about creating the current nos. 1-9 (perhaps why its par 3s are more eye-catching), as well as removing Bandy & Hollis's no. 12 and creating a new par three, which exists there today.

Bandy and Hollis clearly had some eye for potential holes -- the aforementioned "Canyon" hole was and may still be the most celebrated, and I've always enjoyed the preceding par four as well -- but in Bandy's own words, the pair were not destined to be great architects. A quote in that same article:

“We laid it out pretty well I thought...But we sort of forgot to get any grass on the greens. That was somewhat bad and had to be rectified.”

Just fixing the font size.

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ryan Book

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2024, 11:44:14 AM »
Thanks..."first-time poster," indeed.
"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2024, 12:29:37 PM »
Thanks..."first-time poster," indeed.

If you want, you can click the Modify button at the top of your post, highlight all the text and then choose 10pt from the Font Size dropdown box and then click save/post to fix your original. The font size issue is a bug, nothing you did wrong.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back