News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DFarron

Denver Advice
« on: June 19, 2024, 04:40:03 PM »
First time there to play, looking for some recommendations.

-Booked at Common Ground
-Cherry Hills has an event the day I can play
-Castle Pines is a no go to outside play this year due to BMW
-Waiting to hear about Colorado Golf Club

Questions

-Is the Broadmoor worth the drive?
-Any public's that are really good?
-Any private's in Denver that are "sleepers"?

Thanks for your help?

Rob Marshall

Re: Denver Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 05:25:24 PM »
It’s been 25 years but Arrowhead in Littleton may be worth a look. The course runs around red rock formations.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

astavrides

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 06:31:42 PM »
Other than the rocks, Arrowhead is pretty disappointing.

Definitely Ballyneal if you have the time.
I enjoyed Raindance National and TPC Colorado about an hour north of Denver.
Broadmoor East is solid and historical and contrasts Ross with Jones holes. I can't say if it is worth your drive or not.
Denver CC is good.
Fossil Trace, if you like Engh courses, or want to see one and haven't yet.

Ben Sims

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 06:53:01 PM »
Denver is pretty bereft of sleeper experiences. CommonGround is worth multiple plays. Also, what’s your travel limit? Saying the Broadmoor and Denver in the same sentence is like saying Plainfield is a Philly course. Just something to think about.

I am a homer for USAFA Blue course for the greens alone ahead of Broadmoor.

Riverdale Dunes is nice but it’s been years since I’ve played it. Your list is really nice. CGC is great.  Still haven’t played Denver CC.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2024, 07:40:20 PM »
Fossil Trace is the Tot Hill Farm of the Front Range. If you have a heart for whimsy, you really shouldn't miss it.

I haven't made it to Riverdale Dunes or Murphy Creek yet, but they're the publics I've always heard the best things about consistently (aside from CG and FT).
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Aaron Marks

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2024, 08:03:55 PM »
-Any public's that are really good?

For my money, Fossil Trace is super fun.  It's unique, it's a little weird, but I'm always happy I played it.  It also has some uniquely 'Colorado' rock features that are interesting, if a little odd for a golf course.

Bear Dance is not my thing, but it could be yours!  Mountain golf, trees, big elevation changes... just doesnt do it for me, but people love it. 

Both are unwalkable.

Riverdale Dunes, Walnut Creek and Murphy Creek are really good locals courses, but I wouldnt go out of my way to play if I was visiting from out of town (unless their proximity to the airport is useful). 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 08:26:31 PM by Aaron Marks »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2024, 08:26:00 PM »
The private Pradera is more than a "sleeper." I played there about 10 years ago. A Jim Engh design:

https://www.theclubatpradera.com/golf/course
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 08:43:05 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Zucker

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2024, 08:27:25 PM »
I second Fossil Trace.  It isn't the best course I've ever played (Commonground is probably better), but it is different and I mean that as a compliment.  A lot of fun and visually interesting holes.  If you can't get on a private, this seems like a no brainer.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2024, 09:02:53 PM »
I helped build Riverdale Dunes, and it's okay, but I wouldn't send you there.

The sleeper for me is Hiwan, up in the foothills about 30 minutes west of downtown.  It's a Press Maxwell course on sloping piney land with some very difficult greens.  They used to play the Colorado Open there every year back in the day.  It's private, but not terribly exclusive, so I would think you could arrange a game there.

Mark Leo

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2024, 09:59:13 PM »
Columbine is worth the effort to get on

Ben Sims

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2024, 10:00:14 PM »
I helped build Riverdale Dunes, and it's okay, but I wouldn't send you there.

The sleeper for me is Hiwan, up in the foothills about 30 minutes west of downtown.  It's a Press Maxwell course on sloping piney land with some very difficult greens.  They used to play the Colorado Open there every year back in the day.  It's private, but not terribly exclusive, so I would think you could arrange a game there.

Oh goodness if we’re sending folks to old Press Maxwell’s, come on down to Woodmoor. Hiwan is probably better course overall but at Woodmoor the greens are a smidge better and you don’t have to go to Evergreen and dodge angry elk. Happy to host.

Then I’ll take you over to USAFA Blue. As untouched a RTJ Sr as I can think of.

All that to say, you’ve got a lot of Doak 3-5 options. I would steer clear of Bear Dance or Arrowhead. Broadmoor, USAFA Blue, Woodmoor, those are your Springs options. Theres a couple decent privates in Denver outside of Cherry and Denver CC. Columbine is recently renovated by Rees Jones’ crew. I haven’t seen it since it since it was worked on. Hiwan is fine. It needs some love like alot of the old Press Maxwell on the front range. The greens are the star of all those courses as Tom mentioned.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 10:17:21 PM by Ben Sims »

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2024, 10:18:33 PM »
If you are thinking of a drive as far as the Broadmoor, which I like, a much prettier drive of maybe 2 hours gets you through the tunnel. Not sure which Summit County course is preferred, but the drive is neat.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2024, 11:50:29 PM »
I haven't played much in Denver but did play Fossil Trace on Friday and I felt let down.  I enjoy Engh courses so maybe I had too high of expectations. 

To answer the question about the drive to the Broadmoor I'd say not worth it, especially for $300ish.  As Ben said I'd go USAFA for $90 (also saves some time driving).  I play Saturday and Sundays so let me know if you come down this way and want to play USAFA (one or both courses) on a weekend (moving end of July).

Matthew Rose

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2024, 09:14:34 AM »
Another great Press Maxwell is Pinehurst CC, which I have much personal affinity for.

If you can get on it, Lakewood CC is outstanding.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2024, 10:16:43 AM »
Dfarron - Here's a link to photos of a bunch of Denver area courses, including several of the ones suggested in this thread.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157631938905759/

edited to fix typo

Dave Herrick

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2024, 02:37:42 PM »

Lakewood CC is of interest for the variety of architects who have worked there. It has green complexes designed by Bendelow, Ross, Press Maxwell, and Hancz. Conditioning is usually excellent, and as an early 20th Century course it is a delight to walk.

DFarron

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2024, 09:18:27 AM »
Dfarron - Here's a link to photos of a bunch of Denver area courses, including several of the ones suggested in this thread.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157631938905759/

edited to fix typo

Thank you so much Stewart, that was above and beyond what I hoped!

DFarron

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2024, 09:23:37 AM »
Thanks to all who replied, there are so many areas of our country that I’m unfamiliar with as far a golfing opportunities. Generally I know all the really known courses but after I play those I want to enjoy those that may not be well known but still fun. We have several here in Boise that are like that.

Question …..Is Ballyneal worth the time spent to travel there ? How far is it from downtown Denver?

I’m sure all will say “yes” but on Tuesday and Wednesday that week I’ll be playing in a tournament and Saturday at CG, I’d have to make it a one day trip from Denver and I don’t want to burn out lol!

Ben Sims

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2024, 10:00:25 AM »
Only you can determine if BN is worth the squeeze. It would certainly be an all-day affair from downtown DEN. That said, it is clearly the best and most unique course in the state. As much as we talk about the modern links courses of the US, there’s still less than perhaps 20 of them. And Ballyneal plays as uniquely as any.

If 6 hours in the car for a world Top 60 course isn’t your thing, there’s plenty of golf nearby. I’ll stress again that I’d rather play multiple times at CommonGround ahead of most of your other options, save for Colorado Golf Club or an invite to Denver CC or Lakewood.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2024, 12:00:28 PM »
I would emphatically say yes Ballyneal is certainly worth it...

As for local courses I would also recommend Murphy Creek.  The only downside is the housing on the back 9, but some fun/interesting stuff to be found out there for sure.

DFarron

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2024, 01:05:32 PM »
Only you can determine if BN is worth the squeeze. It would certainly be an all-day affair from downtown DEN. That said, it is clearly the best and most unique course in the state. As much as we talk about the modern links courses of the US, there’s still less than perhaps 20 of them. And Ballyneal plays as uniquely as any.

If 6 hours in the car for a world Top 60 course isn’t your thing, there’s plenty of golf nearby. I’ll stress again that I’d rather play multiple times at CommonGround ahead of most of your other options, save for Colorado Golf Club or an invite to Denver CC or Lakewood.

6- hour car ride is not usually a problem but after a busy 3 days preceding my round I might not have enough gas lol!

DFarron

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2024, 01:15:27 PM »
Anyone play "The Sanctuary"?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2024, 01:23:42 PM »
Anyone play "The Sanctuary"?

I've played it and would think it characterizes some of Engh's more extreme stuff.  It was certainly a difficult site and almost impossible to walk.

But I enjoyed it, especially the day we went when we basically were the only ones out there.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2024, 02:13:59 PM »
Sanctuary is a unique course with no members....It is or was an " Event" Course for charities.

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/sanctuary
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 02:21:43 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dave Herrick

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2024, 05:13:26 PM »
I have done the Ballyneal one-day roundtrip any number of times. So for me it is easy to say it would be worthwhile for someone who has never before played the course. Perhaps one reason I’ve found it worthwhile is that the drive on I-76, US 6, and 385 is not particularly taxing from the traffic perspective. From the vicinity of downtown Denver it is a few minutes less than three hours, observing the speed limits.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back