News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lapper

Re: Fan Behavior at US Open?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2024, 06:40:29 AM »

This is the right thread to reiterate what I believe is inevitably coming to professional golf: the distinctly-timed perfect scream or artificial shriek in the middle of an uber-critical backswing or putt that will most definitely influence the tournament's outcome.

With both the proliferation, and increase in size, of wagering on professional golf, it's only a matter of time before some cad causes the change of an outcome in order to secure a profit. We see the Barstool tools using their social media platforms to publicize multi-thousand dollar bets on pro golf, followed by Tik-Toks of how to handicap players, then furthered by real-time betting line adjustment. It's too damn easy for a jackass to try this, risking only their removal from a crowd in return for tens, if not hundreds of thousands.

We aren't half-civilized as the UK golf fans who've managed to mostly avoid this conundrum for decades. I'm only surprised we've yet to see a five, six, or seven figure scandal on this side of the pond.

FWIW: I certainly didn't enjoy the jingoistic chants of USA!, USA!. It belittled and diluted an otherwise sublime Sunday of our national championship.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2024, 09:10:08 AM »
I just dont understand why there isnt a policy to remove fans who yell any of these knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, low-IQ. alcohol-fueled exclamations.

Ian

I don't necessarily disagree but how do you implement such a policy ? Say you have 20,000 to 40,000 fans spread over a site of 150 acres, how many policemen would you need ? You can't leave it to the marshals, as besides the legal and insurance implications they're just volunteers who in the main tend to be late middle aged and elderly and aren't equipped for the job of physically removing someone. At the tennis it is much much easier because they are sitting in a more confined space.

In days of old the crowd would have been largely self-policing which is to say that anyone shouting and acting up would be shooshed and told to behave by those around them. That generally worked. These days such behaviour as has happened at successive Ryder Cups has been encouraged and complimented as providing a great atmosphere. It's hard to see how they can row back from that.

Niall   

It's a fair point, Niall, but I also believe that this crass behavior is limited to tee shots. And as Steve L says above, we will soon face the scenario where some moron yells in a downswing and materially impacts the tournament: a major, a Ryder Cup or some bet made by these ass-holes.

Are we just to call that "rub of the green"...?...;-)     

My experience at US sports venues shows that most fans will point out offenders to security.

If a fan yells some sort of slogan or decry when a tennis player is about to serve, they are removed from the premises.

It's just not that hard.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2024, 09:11:07 AM »
In general, wagering is going to be a problem for most pro sports in general. I believe it is already influencing outcomes of events around the world. We already know there have been referees caught up in gambling scandals, and I am certain there are more who haven't been caught yet.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2024, 09:23:37 AM »
I think it's apparent that the powers that be in sports have recognized that the only way to continue to attract the increase in viewership that would make television money make sense is to allow gambling on steroids.  Just as there are people who can't play golf without something (even a dollar) on the line, there are people who can't be interested in any sporting event unless they have money at stake.

I don't know how soon it will infiltrate the golfing world, but I'd bet money (see what I did there) that we are the verge of a major point shaving scandal in college basketball.  With free transfers and NIL money making these players complete mercenaries you know some of them are going to be receptive to the siren call of the gamblers.  A guy making $50,000 at a mid major but playing significant minutes is apt to think $5000 for making sure his team doesn't win by more than a given number of points is easy money.

Golfers tend to make so much money these days it's hard to visualize a player being bribed to play badly, but the interference from the onlookers is inevitable and creeping nearer every day.

"When you insist on "growing the game", and use copious fertilizer and water, you often get nasty broadleaf weeds..."[/size]Brilliantly put!

I concur with the comment and the assessment of it.

[/color]
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2024, 11:18:31 AM »

We aren't half-civilized as the UK golf fans who've managed to mostly avoid this conundrum for decades.
Sadly it’s creeping in more and more in the U.K.
Shame that a game, a sport, a pastime, a leisure activity, one where decorum and respect were for long key elements has more and more become a game played in a loutish, boring manner. A reflection of the ‘rush to golf’ that came along with something else unpleasant, ie Covid and modern day society I guess. Something not being helped by the behaviour and output of many of the numerous ‘golf influencers’ that inhabit YouTube and social media in general these days. All rather sad.
Atb
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 11:39:38 AM by Thomas Dai »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM »
Look at the number of footballers that get caught up in gambling.  They have plenty of money.  And many team have betting companies sponsoring their jersey's.  Is there a golfer sponsored by Fan dual?

For the Open I can make bets on fewest putts, low score by round, birdies, etc. etc.  With so many betting options it's only a matter of time before there's a scandal involving a big name player. 

It's a mess that will only get worse.

LOCK HIM UP!!!

David Kelly

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2024, 12:46:47 PM »
We've been defining deviancy down in American civic life for 60 years.  Golf is not immune or even consequential.
This.  Golf is just a symptom. 
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back