News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Johnson

Fan Behavior at US Open?
« on: June 17, 2024, 08:26:19 PM »
I wasn't able to watch the tournament on TV this year, but commentary in the news media suggests fan behavior, including gambling-related comments, were out of line.  Any worse than usual, or no problem at all?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 07:40:37 AM by Carl Johnson »

mike_beene

Re: Fan Behavior at US Open?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 11:10:16 PM »
Chants of USA are uncalled for. Starts feeling like Ryder Cup, and I don’t mean that as a compliment. I hope we don’t see a guy named Ricky Bobby in contention.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 11:54:24 PM »
Chants of USA are uncalled for. Starts feeling like Ryder Cup, and I don’t mean that as a compliment. I hope we don’t see a guy named Ricky Bobby in contention.

Sounded like people were yelling during Bryson's bunker shot and putt while he was over the ball.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2024, 01:31:03 AM »

Yeah I could very much do without that, especially since Bryson was playing with Aberg and Pavon on the weekend. At one point the chant started when one of them made a bogey.

I mean that kind of thing makes me uneasy during the Ryder Cup.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2024, 04:08:52 AM »
Not just this event but oh for the days when spectators spoke in hushed tones and would tell any others not doing so in a quiet voice to shut up and could do so without the fear of a rowdy incident or even a fight breaking out. Rather sad
Atb
Yee Olde Fogie.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2024, 04:47:33 AM »
Not just this event but oh for the days when spectators spoke in hushed tones and would tell any others not doing so in a quiet voice to shut up and could do so without the fear of a rowdy incident or even a fight breaking out. Rather sad
Atb
Yee Olde Fogie.

It was loud at times when players were addressing the ball. I found it annoying. Golf crowds are getting worse.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2024, 06:35:10 AM »
    All part of the unintended boorish consequences of Trump.

Jon Sweet

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2024, 06:52:05 AM »
Only took 7 comments, a record.  Good work.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2024, 09:25:17 AM »
Idiots were yelling Bababooey decades ago ... back when Howard Stern was in his prime. Then mashed potatoes. Now light the candle. I remember chants of USA when Graeme McDowell was in contention to win the US Open at Pebble. It's been going on a long time. But then, Seve was coughing in player's backswings long before the fans started to act like jerks, so behavior affecting play has been an issue on both sides of the ropes.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 10:04:18 AM by Dan_Callahan »

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2024, 09:41:14 AM »
Idiots were yelling Bababooey decades ago ... back when Howard Stern was in his prime. Then mashed potatoes. Now light the candle. I remember chants of USA when Graeme McDowell was in contention to win the US Open at Pebble. It's been going on a long time. But then, Seve was coughing in player's backswings long before the fans started to act like jerks, so behavior affecting play has been an issue on both sides of the ropes.

Dan-I agree and would say that the behavior accepted as “patriotism” at the Ryder Cup has found it’s way to Majors as well as regular PGA tour events with the exception of the Masters.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2024, 09:55:36 AM »
I just dont understand why there isnt a policy to remove fans who yell any of these knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, low-IQ. alcohol-fueled exclamations.

They would do it at the US Open tennis in NY.
More and more, these low rollers are yelling closer and closer to impact.

It cheapens the entire broadcast and allowing this to happen only emboldens these effing idiots.

David Cronan

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2024, 10:10:14 AM »

The "USA" chant that I find most offensive is when it's on display at the Little League World Series.

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2024, 10:12:04 AM »

I wasn’t referencing idiots shouting. Just people carrying on loudly as if the golf wasn’t happening.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Bernie Bell

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2024, 10:42:15 AM »
We've been defining deviancy down in American civic life for 60 years.  Golf is not immune or even consequential. 

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2024, 12:55:45 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised they quieted down for Pavon's final putt on 18 after he did not give DeChambeau the free read. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 02:30:57 PM by Paul Stephenson »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2024, 02:13:23 PM »
This came up on my YouTube feed -
I have noticed numerous other pieces of a similar nature produced by various individuals or groups.

These comments are not a criticism of the course, those who own or operate it or the country where it takes place.

I started watched it because it’s of an amazing golf course that I’ve been fortunate enough to play. The views of the golf course are terrific and brought back many memories.

I did though skip through after the initial few minutes all the bits where the guys are the centre of attention. I then watched it through again before posting this. Apologies if it’s a bit of a thread jerk but to me this kind of thing and the thread are inter-related.

The extremely loud, shouting, boorish behaviour of those involved is extremely objectionable on any golf course.

If I were on an adjacent fairway or even several fairways away I would be very annoyed to be hearing such a racket and would definitely be complaining to those who run the course.

Whether those who run the course, and the country it’s in is irrelevant, would do anything about it is a different question. If they didn’t they would not be getting any return business from me nor would I be recommending them to others.

Perhaps however, they will reckon on receiving more business by allowing folks to behave like they do in this video piece whilst sacrificing the business of olde phartes and others of a disposition who prefer their golf to come with decorum and etiquette in peaceful and tranquil surroundings away from the hurly, burly, noisy world that exists outside the boundaries of golf courses.

Rant over (for now).

Atb
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 08:48:23 AM by Thomas Dai »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2024, 02:33:09 PM »

Are you serious?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2024, 02:46:32 PM »

You sound like a miserable person.

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2024, 08:40:07 AM »
I just dont understand why there isnt a policy to remove fans who yell any of these knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, low-IQ. alcohol-fueled exclamations.

They would do it at the US Open tennis in NY.
More and more, these low rollers are yelling closer and closer to impact.

It cheapens the entire broadcast and allowing this to happen only emboldens these effing idiots.

When you insist on "growing the game", and use copious fertilizer and water, you often get nasty broadleaf weeds...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2024, 08:50:24 AM »

When you insist on "growing the game", and use copious fertilizer and water, you often get nasty broadleaf weeds...

Brilliantly put!

:):):)
Atb

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2024, 08:55:02 AM »
I bet that if you did this at ANGC during the Masters you would also be removed.  But I think people know that they will be disciplined which acts as a deterrent.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2024, 07:22:28 PM »
It's hard to breather with just your nose. I try every night.

*rump is a miserable person...no one can deny that.

YouTube Golf has pros and cons.

People used to expressing themselves online, with complete digital defense (like me!) often use the same tools in real life, to the detriment of what once was.

We have no hope of going back to what once was, so we can be grateful that they rule with an iron fist at ANGC, where folks must behave in a manner that was once standard.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

mike_beene

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2024, 10:29:14 PM »
It seems to me that the start, or at least an uptick in idiotic behavior , is attributable to the War by the Shore crap . Ironic at many levers. It feels like a republican convention, and I am a republican. Don’t make me use a democrat example…

archie_struthers

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2024, 10:58:25 PM »
 ::) ::) ::)

please Jim, not here , it's sacrosanct in many ways

Niall C

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2024, 05:33:21 AM »

Ian

I don't necessarily disagree but how do you implement such a policy ? Say you have 20,000 to 40,000 fans spread over a site of 150 acres, how many policemen would you need ? You can't leave it to the marshals, as besides the legal and insurance implications they're just volunteers who in the main tend to be late middle aged and elderly and aren't equipped for the job of physically removing someone. At the tennis it is much much easier because they are sitting in a more confined space.

In days of old the crowd would have been largely self-policing which is to say that anyone shouting and acting up would be shooshed and told to behave by those around them. That generally worked. These days such behaviour as has happened at successive Ryder Cups has been encouraged and complimented as providing a great atmosphere. It's hard to see how they can row back from that.

Niall     

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back