News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

#2's fourth and fifth holes.
« on: June 14, 2024, 02:42:31 PM »
We have discussed this previously, but it is worth discussing again. This week both holes are averaging about 4.7 strokes. I always thought that five, when it was a par four, was the best hole on the course and a very exacting second shot. Is the course really better with the new configuration?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 02:47:30 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Keith Williams

Re: #2's fourth and fifth holes.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2024, 03:03:47 PM »
Tommy,

Thanks for asking this.  I have to be honest, I had no idea these had been swapped and had to do a double take after watching on tv; I was always of the understanding that hole 5, as a par 4, was considered one of the best holes on the course.  Was there a specific reason this was done?

-Keith

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 08:54:40 PM »
They both have always felt like 5s to me. When were these holes added? I don’t think they are original.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024, 01:57:30 AM »
This is just completely an educated guess. but based on the terrain, perhaps it was easier to add length to #5 than it was to #4.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Brett Meyer

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2024, 06:14:17 AM »
I was skeptical going in but yes, I think it's better. The 4th green is better suited as a green for a long par 4 than the fifth. It's more open in front and has less severity at its sides. I didn't think much of it as a par 5, but I think it's a great long par 4.

Also, I think that with the lengthening, 5 has become a better hole from tee to green. The drive used to be fairly simple; easy carry over the junk on the corner to a wide fairway. The bunkers ~80 yards short of the green weren't an issue unless you were a really short hitter or hit a very bad drive. Now they're in play for everyone except long hitters who've hit good drives.

The drive is much better. The junk on the corner of the dogleg comes into play for almost everyone off the tee and you either have to bomb it, hit something very straight, or hit a slight fade around trees that encroach from the right. It turned what I thought was an uninteresting drive into one of the best on the course.

The only issue is that there's now a bit of a walk back to the 5th tee. But I think it's worth it. Both holes have become better.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2024, 08:00:06 AM »
From my PoV they are the same as previously. I won’t walk back to either new tee so there is no difference. The par designation is card engineering.

From memory, there were bunkers and waste areas when I last played 2. No issues of hard packed sand from the bunkers.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 08:48:02 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2024, 08:27:11 AM »
LIKE button for Rose and Meyer contributions. Saved me the keystrokes.

#RIP the original World Golf Hall of Fame (where #5 tee now resides)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JLahrman

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2024, 09:07:09 AM »
Tommy,

Thanks for asking this.  I have to be honest, I had no idea these had been swapped and had to do a double take after watching on tv; I was always of the understanding that hole 5, as a par 4, was considered one of the best holes on the course.  Was there a specific reason this was done?

-Keith

This video touches on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7a3QgjgQ1g

I was disappointed when this switch happened for the 2014 US Open, but watching the tournament this year I like it.

I played in the 1993 North and South Junior Amateur. News flash: I didn't win. I was marginally good enough to play in the event. But I got four rounds on #2 for an insanely low price even at that time!

I hit four perfect drives on #5, and had maybe a 4 to 6 iron in each time. I couldn't come close to hitting the green even with well struck approaches.

It's been fun to see the pros trying to hit the green with longer irons this year. That green is so hard to hold with those clubs, and if they miss just a little left they can wind up doing what Scheffler and Schauffele did on Friday (and McIlroy was fortunate to make par) after the whole group missed left.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2024, 12:57:46 PM »
Before the change, I would average the same scores on four and five. I have not played it since the change, but I have a feeling I'd score the same as before.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2024, 10:17:24 AM »
Four is a brute for average players.
Those who have played the fifth more than twice, it aint that hard.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2024, 08:28:00 PM »
if they both averaged 4.7 for the us open they are the same value golf hole for the best players
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2024, 08:35:32 PM »
Four is a brute for average players.
Those who have played the fifth more than twice, it aint that hard.

Is was a mistake converting it to a Par 5.
Tim Weiman

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2024, 08:48:26 PM »
So, did they do it because four was a pushover par five, and they made five a par five, so par would not be 69?
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back