News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Lahinch
« on: June 28, 2024, 04:17:43 PM »
We played Lahinch today on the last day of a terrific Ireland trip. I first played it in 2013 and have long held it as my favorite course even though we have been fortunate to play many wonderful (and more than a few highly ranked) courses over the past decade. Accordingly, I approached the round with some psychological trepidation: was my view of Lahinch nostalgia from a first trip to Ireland? Had I refused to displace it out of stubbornness?

I played pretty poorly even for me on the front in part because all of it was weighing on my mind.

At the end of the day, I found no reason to change my view. If anything, some of the less dramatic holes--1, 2, 10, and 15-18 were better than I remembered, particularly the fairway and green movement. And if anything, the dramatic holes were better golf holes than I remembered and not just dramatic.

For a bit, it bothered me that my wife and our friends did not get it (to be fair to them, it was a windy day and the rough was up in preparation for the Palmer Cup). But my list is my list, not theirs, and my attachment to Lahinch is personal to me.

It remains my favorite.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Lahinch
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 04:26:27 PM »
A very good choice for favourite, Ira… I can’t argue against it.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 05:25:05 PM »
I enjoyed it last month as well.  I love the quirky/blind holes!

Vaughn Lodge in town is one of my favorite places to stay (and eat) anywhere.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2024, 05:31:57 PM »
On my trip to Ireland I played Ballybunion, Lahinch, RCD, and Portrush. At the time anyway the top 4 in Ireland. Lahinch was my favorite also. Loved everything about it. Bottom line +1.

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2024, 05:53:23 PM »
Some of the best par 4s you could play in 3,6,7,9,10,14,15. Last three let it down for me but it's carried so strongly by those brilliant 4's.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2024, 08:57:59 PM »
Some of the best par 4s you could play in 3,6,7,9,10,14,15. Last three let it down for me but it's carried so strongly by those brilliant 4's.

Really like the 6th. I have picture of it above my desk at home.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

mike_malone

Re: Lahinch New
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2024, 09:37:55 PM »
It has been almost 20 years since I played it last but it remains in my mind as awesome. If I survive 3 I can handle the rest. If I recall correctly 9 has a two level fairway which I loved.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 03:29:34 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2024, 05:15:09 AM »
It is a great choice, with the quirk combined with the challenge during weather just a really unique experience that I remember as well. During golf trips some holes run together from course to course, but can still recall several like the blind par 3, #6 and hole 18.
I preferred Ballybunion by a hair, but both are elite.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

JohnVDB

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2024, 03:00:34 PM »
I preferred Ballybunion by a hair, but both are elite.

My wife and I played them in back to back days in 1997. She’d only been playing for 4 years. Her comment afterwards was that Ballybunion was the better course, but she’d rather play Lahinch any day.  I’d agree. I understand they’ve done a lot of work there and I need to get back to see it again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back