News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Carl Johnson

Re: The "Best" Public Courses
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2024, 10:06:54 PM »
Pinehurst Resort #2, is number one in North Carolina.  I understand Golf Week's definition ("public access"), but given the green fee and, I assume, caddy fee, #2, while a great course, for most of the public the access is going to be theoretical only.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2024, 11:25:27 PM »
Pinehurst Resort #2, is number one in North Carolina.  I understand Golf Week's definition ("public access"), but given the green fee and, I assume, caddy fee, #2, while a great course, for most of the public the access is going to be theoretical only.

Carl, don't forget the cost to stay at the resort.  That being said what would you define as public?  Many of the courses at the top of the state public list require hotel stay and high green fees

That being said I feel like the high price and the high ranking it's pretty impressive.  I don't believe GW raters get comped at places like Pinehurst and Pebble like they do at a number of private clubs.

What I don't get is how Minot CC is classified as public.  I guess the corporate advertising category that gives you a GPS ad and 4 golf passes is about the same price as that 2 night stay at Pinehurst to play #2 and #4.

Robert_Ball

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2024, 11:37:38 PM »
What I don't get is how Minot CC is classified as public.  I guess the corporate advertising category that gives you a GPS ad and 4 golf passes is about the same price as that 2 night stay at Pinehurst to play #2 and #4.
Agree, Joe. Isn't the Vardon course the formerly private Minot CC that was flooded? Replaced by the private Engh?

This list also includes the Reynolds Lake Oconee courses which are private unless you pay 500+/night to stay at the Ritz.

astavrides

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2024, 03:59:12 PM »
Agree, Joe. Isn't the Vardon course the formerly private Minot CC that was flooded? Replaced by the private Engh?

This list also includes the Reynolds Lake Oconee courses which are private unless you pay 500+/night to stay at the Ritz.

Thanks for the heads-up on Reynolds. Didn't realize you had to stay there to play it. One less course on the top 100 that I will play, most likely. Same deal with Manele and Hualalai, except those are probably twice the price of the Ritz in GA to stay at.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2024, 04:52:16 PM »
Imagine living in South Carolina and believing there were 11 "public" courses in Myrtle Beach, or for that matter any other beach better in SC than Aiken Golf Club.
Even forgetting the sheer value comparison.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2024, 06:19:02 PM »

That's my understanding of golf in Minot.  Minot CC is private.  Minot CC membership moved to their current location after flooding and the old course re-opened as Vardon Golf Club which is open to the public.

As far as Reynolds Lake Oconee the public access courses (with hotel stay) are listed, but the private members only Creek Club isn't included.

Lots of Engh with discussion of Minot CC and Creek Club.  Coincidentally I played Fossil Trace today and saw Jim out there.

Thanks for the heads-up on Reynolds. Didn't realize you had to stay there to play it. One less course on the top 100 that I will play, most likely. Same deal with Manele and Hualalai, except those are probably twice the price of the Ritz in GA to stay at.

Did Manele change such that it requires a stay?  When I played about 5 years ago, I flew from my home in Oahu in the morning and then back in the afternoon.  Also had a buddy that played in the last two years after taking the ferry from Maui.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 09:17:32 AM by Joe_Tucholski »

Carl Johnson

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2024, 09:11:21 AM »
corrected post follows.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 09:14:09 AM by Carl Johnson »

Carl Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2024, 09:13:31 AM »

Carl, don't forget the cost to stay at the resort.  That being said what would you define as public?  Many of the courses at the top of the state public list require hotel stay and high green fees

That being said I feel like the high price and the high ranking it's pretty impressive.  I don't believe GW raters get comped at places like Pinehurst and Pebble like they do at a number of private clubs.

What would I define as public?  Assuming one needs lists at all (I could live without them), I'd say go with a variety.  "Public access" as defined by Golf Week is a legitimate list, understanding what it is.  How about a municipal list (city, county, state included)?  Another list could add to that privately owned courses not resort-linked in the sense that you must be a resort guest or that resort guests pay lower fees than non-resort guests.  Or, a list capped at $X for a round.  Etc.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 09:16:21 AM by Carl Johnson »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2024, 09:20:14 AM »
How about a municipal list (city, county, state included)?  Another list could add to that privately owned courses not resort-linked in the sense that you must be a resort guest or that resort guests pay lower fees than non-resort guests.  Or, a list capped at $X for a round.  Etc.

https://golf.com/travel/courses/americas-30-best-municipal-golf-courses/

https://golf.com/travel/top-100-value-courses-you-can-play-150-less/

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2024, 11:22:56 AM »
@Joe
Both links above have costs from 2021. I wonder if  costs have increased since then. Both are  good choices instead of " The Best " from Golf Digest.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2024, 11:40:18 AM »
How about a municipal list (city, county, state included)?  Another list could add to that privately owned courses not resort-linked in the sense that you must be a resort guest or that resort guests pay lower fees than non-resort guests.  Or, a list capped at $X for a round.  Etc.

What's the definition of municipal?  If the course is owned by a state or national government is it still a municipal course?  I am not sure if there are any courses owned by the US government but there are a few owned by the Canadian government as part of the national park system, and some of those are world class.

Phil Young

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2024, 11:58:17 AM »
Wayne, wouldn't the golf courses on military bases be owned by the federal government? What about golf courses that are part of the grounds of a publicly owned college/university, e.g. Ohio State University Golf Club? Wouldn't that qualify as a state-owned golf course?

I ask because some of these have restrictions on who can play these courses while others are open to the public.

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2024, 12:05:17 PM »
Jeffersonville needs to move up in Pa. ratings.
AKA Mayday

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2024, 12:16:19 PM »
Wayne, wouldn't the golf courses on military bases be owned by the federal government? What about golf courses that are part of the grounds of a publicly owned college/university, e.g. Ohio State University Golf Club? Wouldn't that qualify as a state-owned golf course?

I ask because some of these have restrictions on who can play these courses while others are open to the public.
Maybe it should be owned by any level of government and open to the public.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2024, 12:50:20 PM »
The Luke AFB in Waddell , AZ : https://56fss.com/falcon-dunes-golf-course/

The Falcon Dunes Golf Course is a military course situated just north of Luke Air Force Base and it is open to all military and government employees, active or retired, and their guests.

Chris Hughes

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2024, 02:39:17 PM »

Bingo.

Was reading through the thread and "municipally owned" is what came to my mind.Bethpage, Montauk, Harding Park, Long Beach County courses, etc...

...places where a t-shirt and jean shorts won't keep you off the course!!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 02:55:52 PM by Chris Hughes »

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2024, 04:17:59 PM »

Did Manele change such that it requires a stay?  When I played about 5 years ago, I flew from my home in Oahu in the morning and then back in the afternoon.  Also had a buddy that played in the last two years after taking the ferry from Maui.

You have to stay at the Four Seasons (cheapest rate $1400/night) to play Manele now. Same deal at Hualalai but I have driven in and just went into the pro shop and played.
Be the ball

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2024, 05:13:32 PM »
I am not sure if there are any courses owned by the US government but there are a few owned by the Canadian government as part of the national park system, and some of those are world class.

Yup the US National Park Service also owns some courses.  I've played a number but the DC courses are probably the busiest of the NPS courses.

The Presideo in SF is probably the nicest.

Carl Johnson

Re: The "Best" Public Courses New
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2024, 06:41:45 PM »

What's the definition of municipal?  If the course is owned by a state or national government is it still a municipal course?  I am not sure if there are any courses owned by the US government but there are a few owned by the Canadian government as part of the national park system, and some of those are world class.

Generally, and I say this as a former lawyer who studied municipal law in law school but only dealt with it in practice a few times, "municipal" would mean state level or below, such as county, city, or town.  Commonly you would not think of state level as being municipal, but at least in my state, N.C., all "governmental organizations," which could also include authorities, such as hospital or airport authorities set up by the state legislature, depend on or derive their existence from the state, which can lead to unfortunate consequences sometimes, but that's beyond the scope of golf course architecture.  In any case, for our purposes you can use "municipal" any way you'd like and you should not get in trouble.  The lawyer definition should be ignored.

On the municipal side, Reynolds Park Golf Course in Winston-Salem, NC, was, at least at one time, considered a very good public course.  If my memory serves me correctly, at one time it hosted a tour (regular or senior?) event or two.  It is credited to Ed Seay, Ellis Maples, and Perry Maxwell. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 07:12:07 AM by Carl Johnson »

Phil Young

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2024, 01:13:16 AM »
Joe, the original 9-hole Presidio golf course was designed and built by the founding members of the San Francisco Golf Club in 1895.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back