News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Morandi

Pinehurst- Collection Areas
« on: June 14, 2024, 01:29:21 PM »
The greens lead to many balls collecting in the same spots, which then leave behind divots that are hard to chip out of. I hope the outcome isn’t affected by this. Is divot mix good enough to mitigate the condition and does the grounds crew fill them in during the rounds? 

Ben Hollerbach

Re: Pinehurst- Collection Areas
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2024, 01:36:57 PM »
Can't say I've seen many divots being taken around the greens.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 06:23:59 PM »
Not sure if there are volunteers filling divots during play.

However, here's a story about divots at Pinehurst (story indicates players would prefer to play without the divot fill - not sure if that's true)
Payne Stewart, the divots, and two U.S. Opens | Pinehurst Resort

Matt Kardash

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2024, 07:42:37 PM »
Is there anything worse than the term "collection area"? Nothing personal, just hate the term.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

archie_struthers

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2024, 09:53:00 AM »
 >:( :P

Michael great post! 

I've never been a fan of collection areas as a golfer and as a quasi architect. At Twisted Dune I tried so hard to keep them from occurring thru lack of attention. Constantly hung out with our shapers and told them they were verboten. It was so much fun but given that we moved so much earth it was easy to screw this up. Thankfully there were just a couple small miscues.

Think that was my reason that #2 isn't in my top ten of courses played. The collection areas.

p.s.    I love false fronts

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2024, 10:25:32 AM »

Michael great post! 

I've never been a fan of collection areas as a golfer and as a quasi architect. At Twisted Dune I tried so hard to keep them from occurring thru lack of attention. Constantly hung out with our shapers and told them they were verboten. It was so much fun but given that we moved so much earth it was easy to screw this up. Thankfully there were just a couple small miscues.

Think that was my reason that #2 isn't in my top ten of courses played. The collection areas.

Archie,

Sand Ridge in Cleveland has a hole (#2) with both a false front and a collection area on one side that was usually filled with divots. It was just poor design, IMO.

Tim
Tim Weiman

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2024, 03:30:58 PM »
Are there a lot of places where balls collect in the same spots? It seems like they mostly roll off in every direction where balls can kind of end up anywhere, not all right next to each other.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2024, 03:41:22 PM »

We have a par 5 with a false front that funnels all the balls to the same spot against a rough collar full of divots.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Michael Morandi

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2024, 10:20:47 PM »

Michael great post! 

It turns out the USGA was concerned enough about divots in the collection areas (13 today) that they laid down tarps in these areas during the practice rounds.

David_Madison

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2024, 08:26:42 AM »
Divots are being filled in each day and the people doing it know what they're doing, so they are most likely people in the industry doing that. I wouldn't want to be hitting wedges out of those sand-filled divots but more often than not I'd be putting from those spots anyway and the ground is fine for that.

The waste area to the left of #5 green is a very recent addition, added just a couple of months ago. Before it was put there, shots missing the green and rolling down to the left were running through that area and 50 or more yards down the hill to one of the white teeing areas on the 4th hole. That new sandy/native area was necessary as otherwise there'd be lots of delays in play as players would be frequently waiting to tee off on #4 from up above as they'd be flying directly over what would otherwise have been a highly used recovery spot for #5. That area was resodded as it was so heavily torn up by regular play.

On a day-to-day play basis, the collection areas really don't present a problem around the greens from a divot perspective, and I can't think of any universal landing areas away from the greens that present a real concern.

John Blain

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2024, 09:38:46 AM »
Are there a lot of places where balls collect in the same spots? It seems like they mostly roll off in every direction where balls can kind of end up anywhere, not all right next to each other.
100% correct.

Michael Morandi

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2024, 12:10:41 PM »
After yesterday’s round, Johnson Wagner went out to the 13th to demonstrate how hard it is to play out of the collection area and speculated that Finau had to play out of a divot, forcing him to putt. He made a triple bogey.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 12:14:14 PM by Michael Morandi »

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2024, 12:34:54 PM »
After yesterday’s round, Johnson Wagner went out to the 13th to demonstrate how hard it is to play out of the collection area and speculated that Finau had to play out of a divot, forcing him to putt. He made a triple bogey.

I saw that too, which surprised me as I didn’t recall that. So I went back to rewatch that portion of the telecast. They had a great close up of the ball as it settled short of the green. The lie for his 3rd shot was clean and looked really quite good.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back