News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Thanks to Jeff Warne for his hospitality yesterday. The Bridge is a visual stunner from the clubhouse down through the course to the Peconic Bay. The sense of place made my experience of the golf enjoyable before I hit a shot (which often ruins my experience!).
  While I was unfamiliar with the original course the one I played was a pleasure.
AKA Mayday

Tommy Williamsen

I played there last year and thoroughly enjoyed the course. It has great undulating terrain, is well bunkered, has fun tee shots, demanding shots into the greens, and some of the fastest greens I have ever played. The views from the men's locker room over Noyac Bay and Shelter Island Sound are breathtaking.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

mike_malone

I played there last year and thoroughly enjoyed the course. It has great undulating terrain, is well bunkered, has fun tee shots, demanding shots into the greens, and some of the fastest greens I have ever played. The views from the men's locker room over Noyac Bay and Shelter Island Sound are breathtaking.

I guess I got the wrong body of water.
AKA Mayday

Michael Morandi

The Bridge looks very different from its original design. And much better. They should take Jones off design credits and replace him with Warne and Stanley.

Joe Bausch

Give me a bit to get my photos processed from this spectacular day. And it was a great day. Jeff Warne and his team really shined.

FWIW: I iggled 18 and aced the 2nd hole on the short course.

Grin.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 06:51:01 PM by Joe Bausch »

mike_malone

Give me a bit to get my photos processed from this spectacular day. And it was a great day. Jeff Warne and his team really shined.

Grin.

As my father used to “that ain’t bad”.
AKA Mayday

Tim Martin

School is out :)

jeffwarne

Grin.

and I didn't get a free drink?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

Some of us arrived a day early and played three public local 9-holers and had a blast.

The most noted being the first, the regulars call Goat Hill.

Go here if you wish:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/ShelterIsland/index.html

And

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/SagHarbor/index.html

And

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/Poxabogue/index.html

Nice pics of The Goat.
It can be fiery.

Very nice pics of Sag Harbor_ I was a member there for years for my family, but I haven't played there in 10 plus years.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 11:53:46 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Gannon

Yes, huge thanks to Jeff for hosting us.   

The terrain is way more rugged and rustic than the courses in Southampton, yet the setting us surreal and tranquil.   Some great, dramatic shots (downhill par 3 5th one of my favorites, tee shot on 11 I could hit all day, massive "kicker" slope left on 16, and 17 just super enticing)....

I loved the waste areas vs certain death off the tee.   Overall, the changes Jeff and our caddie told us about made it a very enjoyable day, when it just seemed severe and not much fun before.  Pictures of before and after are one thing, but being able to play it is another.

A lot of iron shots keep you off balance; however, the entirety of the grounds help lock in a smooth tempo.  The short course was a fun addition, especially the pit of punchbowl second one.  Be fun to play that one again.

Chris Hughes

I caddied in the 2010 US Mid-Am...

...Atlantic was the host-course and The Bridge was the stroke-play co-host.

Both were awesome but The Bridge really made an impression -- in a big way -- we loved it!!

Richard Hetzel

It was an awesome day of golf. I can't stop thinking about it. Jeff is definitely the coolest golf pro around.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 01:41:27 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

Michael Morandi

That’s not the Bridge i played when it first opened. Kudos to Jeff and Greg Stanley.

Michael Felton

That’s not the Bridge i played when it first opened. Kudos to Jeff and Greg Stanley.

It's not the Bridge it was 3 years ago either! Three years ago, it definitely had width, but that width was surrounded by brush that was basically automatic lost ball and retee. Now they've cleared away a lot of that stuff and it's so much more playable as a result. I think it's vastly improved. There is width and it's actually usable now. You can pick a side if you want to on many of the holes.

cary lichtenstein

I played the Bridge shortly after it opened, seriously not impressed, hope it has gotten way better
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jeffwarne

There is width and it's actually usable now. You can pick a side if you want to on many of the holes.

That was the whole idea.
The strategic allies we created over the last 10-12 years weren't really viable until we made the risk reward equation make sense.
No smart player risks a certain lost ball for a power alley or angle.

Thanks to all who participated and made the trip out.
It was great seeing old friends and meeting new ones.
And thanks for the kind words about the course.
Gregg Stanley has truly transformed the property and the playing experience.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 02:46:18 PM by jeffwarne »

Joe Bausch

A complete hole-by-hole tour of The Bridge can be experienced at this URL:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/TheBridge/index.html

I had wonderful time. Thanks, Jeff!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 12:01:10 PM by Joe Bausch »

Joe Bausch

I'll feature the par 4 4th hole within this thread.

All pics are clickable to a larger size.

Tee view:

You stroll along to be treated to this view:

A real big drive that rolls out down the hill leads to an approach shot view like this:

I loved this green complex where I was short of the green in two with this view and used a putter to swing around off the hill for a tap-in. Jeff hooked up my group with two fantastic caddies, one being his son!

View from over the green. FYI: pieces of modern art are scattered at the course!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 12:02:01 PM by Joe Bausch »

Richard Hetzel

I played the Bridge shortly after it opened, seriously not impressed, hope it has gotten way better
Wow. My experience was is the polar opposite. It moved to my new #1 course out of 599! In fact I am trying to figure out a way to go work there without my wife being upset with me.
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

Tim Martin

Great pictures!!! The contrast of exposed sand, native grass and green playing surfaces is appealing along with the long views. It looks like a lot of fun to play.

Nate Oxman

I'll feature the par 4 4th hole within this thread.

All pics are clickable to a larger size.

Tee view:

You stroll along to be treated to this view:

A real big drive that rolls out down the hill leads to an approach shot view like this:

I loved this green complex where I was short of the green in two with this view and used a putter to swing around off the hill for a tap-in. Jeff hooked up my group with two fantastic caddies, one being his son!

View from over the green. FYI: pieces of modern art are scattered at the course!

I purposely hit my second shot over the center of that bunker and it ended up just behind the pin. It was a ton of fun. Our caddies told us that the piece of art by that green was made from pieces of the Eiffel Tower.

Jim O’Kane

The picture under "You stroll along and come upon this view" is incredible.

Nate Oxman

I neglected to mention that Peter Gannon also hit his approach (pretty intimidating shot the first time you play it) over the bunker on the right on #4. His bounce wasn't as lucky as mine and his ball ran through the green and into a waste area to the right of the sculpture in Joe's last photo. He hit a fabulous flop shot over the sculpture.

I really liked the options off the tee from the blue tees (about 6,300 yards) throughout the course. You can take on some fairway bunkers and be handsomely rewarded, you can take less than driver and play more conservatively, you can play off some slopes on the edges of the fairway, lots of fun.

Peter Gannon

There was indeed a Miracle there that day.  Thanks to Mark Fedeli, I have it immortalized in a photo and will use said photo many years down the road for my obituary.  I was actually interested in what it would sound like when I was surely going to clank it off the Eiffel Tower scrap iron sculpture.  Glad we never found out!  All part of the Westworld/surreal/otherworldly setting of The Bridge.  Great day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back