News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: The Dixie Cup to be Resurrected in October 🤞
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2024, 06:39:20 PM »
Lord Whitaker and Disher:  Yes I would like to be in on DC 2024...   will keep watching for details.

Cheers,
Sterling

Greetings Sterling.  What are odds that Ripley, TN will have the largest contingent at the DC?

Planning on making it IF I can cancel a speaking engagement in Vegas that same day.  Life can be challenging on the yacht. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2024, 11:36:42 AM »
If you're including Palmetto...
I'm not sure if they plan to overseed this year(they didn't last year due to new turf)
but they are usually closed for 4-5 days for overseeding during early October, and certainly a mess/wet with higher to no HOC while the rye is germinating on fairways for several weeks.

Therefore, I vote for November(so I can play ;) [size=78%])[/size]

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Whitaker

Re: The Dixie Cup Resurrected: Sept 30 - Oct 2
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2024, 02:26:33 PM »
Thanks to the hard work of Craig Disher, the dates and course lineup is set for our resurrected Dixie Cup gathering:

Sept 30: 1300 - Palmetto GC
Oct 1: 0950 - Aiken GC
Oct 2: 0930 - Old Barnwell

We are still working on additional details and will update this post when everything is finalized… including registration request information.

As mentioned before, we will be limiting this event to 24 participants.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2024, 02:30:22 PM »
If you're including Palmetto...
I'm not sure if they plan to overseed this year(they didn't last year due to new turf)
but they are usually closed for 4-5 days for overseeding during early October, and certainly a mess/wet with higher to no HOC while the rye is germinating on fairways for several weeks.

Therefore, I vote for November(so I can play ;) [size=78%])[/size]

Jeff - we are recruiting 7 Palmetto members to host our group (3 guests per member). We were hoping you would be one of our hosts! 😉

As for the overseeding… it seems we’ll be out in front of that, but thanks for the info.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2024, 08:30:13 PM »
Please consider me for an invitation.   Thanks.

Ditto

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2024, 09:25:32 PM »
Thanks to the hard work of Craig Disher, the dates and course lineup is set for our resurrected Dixie Cup gathering:

Sept 30: 1300 - Palmetto GC
Oct 1: 0950 - Aiken GC
Oct 2: 0930 - Old Barnwell

We are still working on additional details and will update this post when everything is finalized… including registration request information.

As mentioned before, we will be limiting this event to 24 participants.

Hmmm...Those dates actually may work!
We host the MET PGA Team Championship normally on those days,but the Section moved it north this year so.....Aiken seems a very pleasant alternative to The Catskills.

Count me in as a host!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve Lang

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2024, 11:46:36 PM »
 8) Mike,

Glad to hear the Dixie Cup is back in business, do they still make refill packages?

From my 2017 pic of the Infamous Cup Dispensor Trophy, I see the venues listed as follows:

2004 – Cuscowilla GC
2005 -  Mid-Pines GC, Pine Needles GC
2006 – Caledonia Golf & Fish Club, True Blue Plantation, Bulls Bay GC
2007 – Longshadow GC,  Athens CC
2008 – World Woods Pine Barrens, Dunes GC (Seville)
2009 – Palmetto GC, Aiken GC, Camden CC
2010 – Carolina GC, Mimosa Hills GC, Gaston CC
2011 – Ballyhack GC, Kinloch GC, Providence GC
2012 – Checheesee Creek Club, Wexford Plantation
2013 – Dormie Club, Tobacco Road GC
2014 – The Fields GC, Callaway Gardens,
2015 – Chattanooga, TN , Lookout Mountain GC, Black Creek Club – Sweetens Cove GC
2016 – Atlanta, GA, Rivermont CC
2017 – Streamsong Resort, Red, Blue & Black Courses

Can you fill in any of the later venues or was Streamsong the last one held?? 

As Ms Sheila is on the DL, we won't be seeking any entry ballots for 2024's edition.  I would still note as briefly discussed, that if the event came to The Woodlands CC on north side of Houston, we could play 99 holes of golf and take in Memorial and some other publics easily in the region...

Good luck to all DC'ers, play on!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 11:51:14 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Steve Wilson

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2024, 12:22:53 AM »
I am truly glad to see that this is happening.  Unfortunately I’ll still be in Scotland on September 30 and so I can’t even consider attending. That being said: to  those of you who have always wanted to participate in one of these gatherings/ outings—what are you waiting for? 

Although the venues are spectacular, the courses are second to the experience of getting together with the denizens of this board in either a spirit of getting acquainted or of renewal.  Kudos to all those involved in the organization of it and congratulations to those who attend.

During the course of the previous Dixie Cup near Aiken I remember telling those breakfasting with me “I woke up screaming last night….”

“What happened?” Someone finally asked.

“I dreamed I was above the hole at Palmetto.”

So now none of you who do attend can’t say you weren’t twice warned: once about the greens at Palmetto and secondly about my sense of humor. 

I’ll be keeping an eye on the attendees list to see whom I am missing.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Mike Feeney

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2024, 06:29:45 AM »
Very interested -- Michael, that's quite a blend of entertaining architecture at a perfect time of year to golf in SC.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2024, 11:48:33 AM »
Very interested -- Michael, that's quite a blend of entertaining architecture at a perfect time of year to golf in SC.
Thanks, Mike… this is not our first rodeo!🤣

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2024, 04:08:19 AM »
From my 2017 pic of the Infamous Cup Dispensor Trophy, I see the venues listed as follows:

2004 – Cuscowilla GC
2005 -  Mid-Pines GC, Pine Needles GC
2006 – Caledonia Golf & Fish Club, True Blue Plantation, Bulls Bay GC
2007 – Longshadow GC,  Athens CC
2008 – World Woods Pine Barrens, Dunes GC (Seville)
2009 – Palmetto GC, Aiken GC, Camden CC
2010 – Carolina GC, Mimosa Hills GC, Gaston CC
2011 – Ballyhack GC, Kinloch GC, Providence GC
2012 – Checheesee Creek Club, Wexford Plantation
2013 – Dormie Club, Tobacco Road GC
2014 – The Fields GC, Callaway Gardens,
2015 – Chattanooga, TN , Lookout Mountain GC, Black Creek Club – Sweetens Cove GC
2016 – Atlanta, GA, Rivermont CC
2017 – Streamsong Resort, Red, Blue & Black Courses

Can you fill in any of the later venues or was Streamsong the last one held??
Steve - the last Dixie Cup was Nov 16-18, 2018… a return to Caledonia & True Blue. The 2024 version should be fantastic, and we’re already working on 2025! 😉
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 04:11:58 AM by Michael Whitaker »

Bryan Drennon

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2024, 11:41:47 AM »
I'm not sure if this is where you're starting a list but I would like to be included. I attended the one at Lookout Mountain and another at Bulls Bay and they were a blast.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2024, 02:11:13 PM »
9 out of 14.  Every one outstanding.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 02:59:58 PM by Lou_Duran »

Steve Wilson

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2024, 05:26:10 PM »
9 out of 15 and to echo Lou, every one was outstanding.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2024, 08:32:52 PM »
I am definitely IN!

Rich
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2024, 10:12:44 PM »
I had contacted Mike directly that I was in but I thought I should do so on this thread as well so others are warned that the little guy is ready to kick some butt.

ed_getka

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2024, 08:16:44 PM »
I won't be able to join you guys this year, but I will look forward to next year. Sounds like a great lineup. Enjoy!

"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back