News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Thoughts on college golfers
« on: June 10, 2024, 07:52:53 AM »
My club just hosted the NC Amateur Championship this past weekend, and I worked three of the four days; two days on holes where the landing area was semi-blind from the tips, and one day as a walking scorer for the second to last group.  As is probably true around the country, the tournament was dominated by college players; the three guys I scored on Saturday were 19, 20, and 22.  The winner (also defending champion) of just finished at UNC-Wilmington, and is turning pro this week.

Four things really impressed me about the players I saw, all at least somewhat contrary to popular opinion about young golfers:

1.  They are for sure very long, but they are playing golf in a manner far from what is meant by “bomb and gouge”, at least on this site.  They typically hit driver on only about half the par 4s and 5s on a par 71 playing 7000+.  Even on our 15th hole when the CGA moved the tees up on the weekend to make it drivable, most did NOT opt to use driver.  There was much higher value placed on accuracy and placement for the approach than perhaps I expected.

2. They are really solid in all phases of the games, besides being long and accurate off the tee; terrific short games, and just excellent putters.  These kids have been well coached in all phases of the game, and understand how to get their ball around.

3. Behavior and manners were just superior; the kids I scored for couldn’t have been nicer, both before and after the round.  All three made it a point to thank me, which they didn’t need to do at all.  I didn’t see anything all weekend that could have been considered poor behavior or sportsmanship.

4. Most surprisingly, at least to me, was pace of play. Tournament rounds overall averaged 4:30; the group I scored for played in 4:10, and they were in contention!  I had to hustle to be in position, and there was little or no waiting on tees, etc.  I wish the old guys I play with/against in CGA tournaments and interclub matches played as quickly; their pace in a BIG tournament was as good or better than a Saturday morning $6 Nassau.

It’s nice to have the chance to say good things about young people, modern golf, pace of play, and so on.  I thought I’d take the opportunity.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

David_Tepper

Re: Thoughts on college golfers
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2024, 08:17:47 AM »
Thanks for your post. Very encouraging to read.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2024, 09:01:01 AM »

1.  They are for sure very long, but they are playing golf in a manner far from what is meant by “bomb and gouge”, at least on this site.  They typically hit driver on only about half the par 4s and 5s on a par 71 playing 7000+.  Even on our 15th hole when the CGA moved the tees up on the weekend to make it drivable, most did NOT opt to use driver.  There was much higher value placed on accuracy and placement for the approach than perhaps I expected.
How much did the design of the course influence their use, or not use of the driver? Looking at the overview of the course it looks like there are 7 or 8 holes where driver could not be hit due to the position of hard dog legs or crossing water hazards.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 09:17:07 AM »
My club just hosted the NC Amateur Championship this past weekend, and I worked three of the four days; two days on holes where the landing area was semi-blind from the tips, and one day as a walking scorer for the second to last group.  As is probably true around the country, the tournament was dominated by college players; the three guys I scored on Saturday were 19, 20, and 22.  The winner (also defending champion) of just finished at UNC-Wilmington, and is turning pro this week.

Four things really impressed me about the players I saw, all at least somewhat contrary to popular opinion about young golfers:

2. They are really solid in all phases of the games, besides being long and accurate off the tee; terrific short games, and just excellent putters.  These kids have been well coached in all phases of the game, and understand how to get their ball around.

3. Behavior and manners were just superior; the kids I scored for couldn’t have been nicer, both before and after the round.  All three made it a point to thank me, which they didn’t need to do at all.  I didn’t see anything all weekend that could have been considered poor behavior or sportsmanship.

4. Most surprisingly, at least to me, was pace of play. Tournament rounds overall averaged 4:30; the group I scored for played in 4:10, and they were in contention!  I had to hustle to be in position, and there was little or no waiting on tees, etc.  I wish the old guys I play with/against in CGA tournaments and interclub matches played as quickly; their pace in a BIG tournament was as good or better than a Saturday morning $6 Nassau.

It’s nice to have the chance to say good things about young people, modern golf, pace of play, and so on.  I thought I’d take the opportunity.
A.G.,

I watched several college groups play at Old Barnwell and Palmetto in March.

Saw the same things you observed in Wilmington.

These kids are good golfers and appear to be very polite, good people as well.

Tim

Tim Weiman

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024, 11:30:31 AM »

How much did the design of the course influence their use, or not use of the driver? Looking at the overview of the course it looks like there are 7 or 8 holes where driver could not be hit due to the position of hard dog legs or crossing water hazards.
Great question.

There are 8 holes where many players, but not nearly all, hit driver from the back tees.  There are 3 others where driver off the tee becomes a huge risk-reward play, including the 15th, which was set up to be driveable on the weekend.  I didn't see anybody hit driver on two of those holes, and only a handful used driver on 15, even when the tees were up.  There are 3 others where driver off the tee is clearly NOT the play, regardless of the player's length.

On balance, I'd guess (and it's only that) that on the 8 holes where most players hit driver that there were more players that did not, than there were players who chose driver on the risk-reward holes.  That caught me by surprise.  It's worth keeping in mind that it's June in the South, and flyers out of Bermuda rough are a real problem, combined with our greens running 12+ for this weekend.  At least for the leaders, it was a birdie game, and making birdie out of the rough was problematic at best.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Michael Morandi

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2024, 12:10:11 PM »
I think the pace of play depends on the event and whether they go out as threesomes or foursomes. Sadly, I’ve gone to too many college  events where 5 or more hours is the norm, but that is mainly when there are 4 in a group. When I host college teams at my club I tell them 3 things on the first tee: replace/fill divots, rake traps and play in 4 hours.  Most meet the pace of play parameter unless they are using the round as a qualifier to determine who gets in their next event.

I agree that their demeanor is almost always respectful and the best of them are thoughtful in their club selection. One anecdote: the Cal team plays at my club a few times a year. Each group must have a member in it. In his senior year, I played in a group behind Collin Morikawa. Despite not playing with him, Collin made a point of walking across the room to thank me for helping to host his team.  Pure class and demonstration of leadership.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2024, 01:36:34 PM »
My old club, Four Streams, was Georgetown's home club. I had a chance to meet many of the players. Most grew up at private clubs and were taught an on-course demeanor. They were a pleasure to have around.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rob Marshall

Re: Thoughts on college golfers New
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2024, 02:52:41 PM »
I spent the winter hanging around a club in Florida with some really good junior players and a young pro getting ready to go to Europe and play the clutch tour. Also a very highly rank AJGA player at my club in NY this spring and last summer. Everyone of them was polite and well behaved. I had a lot of fun with them and we taught each other a few things about the game or passed on tips. Theses are young kids 15,16,18 and 26 engaging with someone who is 61 over the love of the game. Who knows where they go in golf but they all look to me like they will be winners where ever they go in life.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 04:45:43 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2024, 03:57:10 PM »
I’ve had nothing but positive experiences in my interactions at college events with both Men’s and Women’s teams as both a spectator and volunteer. The same can be said for interactions on a home course when they are practicing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back