News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Mavros

Tournament Venues Without Fairway Irrigation
« on: June 08, 2024, 09:14:37 PM »
The upcoming U.S. Senior Open will be at Newport CC, which does not have fairway irrigation.  Is there any other venue that has hosted a US Open (Senior, Men's or Women's) before without fairway irrigation?  Any Open venues overseas without fairway irrigation? 

Tom_Doak

Re: Tournament Venues Without Fairway Irrigation
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2024, 02:12:21 PM »
I would guess that most of the U.S. Opens before 1920 were played on courses that had no fairway irrigation, but almost none since then.

The R & A required all Open rota courses to put in at least one row of fairway irrigation after the 1962 Open at Troon, which was heavily criticized because the surface was so bouncy.  When I lived there in the 1980's, most of the greenskeepers made it a point never to use the fairway system, and only watered by hand when they felt it was necessary.  So, they have it, but most of them don't use it much.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2024, 01:00:31 AM »
Interesting question. I don't think Royal Porthcawl had fairway irrigation for that Senior Open in 2017. Did they put it in for 2023?

A better question for this side of the pond is perhaps, what courses are without fairway irrigation, regardless of tournament venue status? A few I know of, besides Newport:

Fisher's Island
Abenakee
Highland Links (Truro, MA)

What others? As an aside, this video has some great shots of what unirrigated fairways look like in an East Coast US setting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGlcFPc7_A0

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 08:03:23 AM »
Royal Melbourne didn't put in-ground fairway irrigation in until the late 1980s.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024, 08:44:48 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGlcFPc7_A0
Looks pretty perfect to me!
And that’s before we get to the water for golf vrs water for people, agriculture etc discussion.
Atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2024, 10:55:52 AM »
Royal Melbourne didn't put in-ground fairway irrigation in until the late 1980s.

Chicago Golf Club only had quick couplers in the fairways until the late 1980s or early 1990s.  The fairways were bluegrass.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back