News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

La Costa North vs Torrey Pines South
« on: May 31, 2024, 04:00:07 PM »
For those who have played both since the restoration/renovation, how would these compare in a head to head match, especially as US Open sites. I watched a lot of the rounds of the recent NCAA events as LaCosta and believe it can hold its own. It's long enough at 7500 sea level yards.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 06:02:18 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tom_Doak

Re: La Costa North vs Torrey Pines South
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 05:16:23 PM »
I will be surprised if there are many who have played both courses yet.

JohnVDB

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 09:58:53 PM »
Unless they are on their college golf team or played yesterday or today they haven’t played La Costa North as it hadn’t been open before the women were there.

I just officiated the Men’s Finals this past weekend. After spending 7 days there I’d say it is way better than Torrey Pines South in my opinion. Wide fairways, excellent bunkering and very interesting greens and surrounds.

I had never been there before but talked with a few members who told me some of the changes and I loved the changes they told me.  Hanse moved a few of the greens to new locations and they all made for better holes.

The par 5s were interesting in that two of them had slender deep greens while the other two had wide shallow greens. Of course the players could reach all of them, but getting on the surface was very hard. And the up and downs around them were not easy.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2024, 02:18:03 PM »
When I was at La Costa it was on a day you could play the tournament combo. Are they still using both courses for the tournament 18?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2024, 12:53:26 AM »
Rob,

The original Tournament course is no longer an option as the bunkering was changed in the past redesign which focused on fixing the drainage. The North which had the front nine kept the Dick Wilson style of flashed bunkers. The South which had the back nine went with a puddles of sand look. The 9 holes to the west that complete the course are hopelessly crammed into too small a space and are in no way up to the standard of the original course. Hanse redid the North course which uses a tunnel to go under a road to get to the middle 9 holes. Needless to say it bears no resemblance to the original Wilson design. You could theoretically play the 9 holes of the North on the main paddock and then the 9 of the South but the styles are not sympathetic. Typically in the past there were a handful of days where you were allowed to play the original Wilson Tournament Course. Those days are long gone!

"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2024, 01:32:28 AM »
You must stay at the Omni Resort to play. $369 per player for the North and $600 for a King sized room. Hmm, I‘m playing Torrey South on Tuesday, $45 senior rate plus $34 advanced booking fee; $79 verses $969 for La Costa North? Tom’s right, I doubt many locals will get the chance to make the comparison!

"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2024, 11:03:05 AM »
You must stay at the Omni Resort to play. $369 per player for the North and $600 for a King sized room. Hmm, I‘m playing Torrey South on Tuesday, $45 senior rate plus $34 advanced booking fee; $79 verses $969 for La Costa North? Tom’s right, I doubt many locals will get the chance to make the comparison!

Pete,

Not sure if you've looked at the non-resident fees for TPS.  Its pretty pricey too when you add in all the fees, but yes at least one would avoid the Mandatory resort stay.

P.S.  Curios why they making you pay the booking fee.  It says this on the site. "Booking fees will be waived for Residents."

Pete Lavallee

Re: La Costa North vs Torrey Pines South New
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2024, 08:18:09 PM »
Kalen,

I know TPS is pricey for out of towners but a lot less than $369 and a resort stay!

The normal way to book a tee time at TP is to go online at 7:00 pm a week in advance. However once you get through all the times are taken. Why, because locals are using the advanced reservation system where you can get a tee time 90 days in advance for $34 per player. The City loves it because they make an extra $136 per group when locals play.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 07:33:30 PM by Pete Lavallee »

JohnVDB

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2024, 06:02:21 AM »
I was surprised that they have memberships at La Costa. I met a number of members who were marshaling during my time at the NCAAs.  No idea what a membership costs but I’m sure it’s not cheap.

If I was coming all the way from NJ to play there I’d have to sleep somewhere and it did seem like a nice resort.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back