News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

NC 500 Golf Tour (#2, Reay GC)
« on: May 28, 2024, 08:50:05 AM »
Reay GC is located a little over 10 miles west of Thurso. You turn off the A838 highway right into the club's parking lot. It is one of James Braid's 400 courses. He did work there, expanding the course to 18 holes, in 1933.

https://reaygolfclub.com/

Where some courses start off with a "gentle handshake," Reay starts with more of a slap in the face. The opener is a 225 yard par-3 that is followed by a 418 yard par-4. The 3rd is a 344 yard par-4 that played uphill into the wind. The 4th is a 566 yard par-5!

The land on the front-9 is close to the beach and quite linksy. In additional to the stiff opener, #7 is a 192 yard par-3 that is played from an elevated tee across a valley to a green that is even more elevated.

The front 9 makes good use of a couple of burns that run around and thru the property. There is a lot of golf packed into the 2,870 yards par of 34.

The back 9 is played on land that sits at a higher level, a bit of a "links in the sky." The holes run over and back across a ridge. There are 3 par-4's around 300 yards in length that were not pushovers. The course ends with an uphill par-3 of 152 yards.

I liked Reay quite a bit. If anything, the course might suffer from those who think a par-69 course of 5,628 yards is not worth their time. They would be mistaken.

jeffwarne

Re: NC 500 Golf Tour (#2, Reay GC)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 07:18:23 PM »

I liked Reay quite a bit. If anything, the course might suffer from those who think a par-69 course of 5,628 yards is not worth their time.

Let's hope they continue to think that..

Reay is special and until you mentioned that I never would guessed it was par 69-didn't even occur to me when I played it, and I can't say it felt short.(we played the white tees-it was 5854) 6 par 3's really skew the yardage.Many good holes.
I really want to get back there.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve Wilson

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 11:29:43 PM »
I'ver probably played Reay 10 times.  The opening holes are certainly challenging, but I think the best of the course begins with the fourth which is the 566 yard par 5 David indicates.  Like many holes on the course, the fourth falls away from for its entire length including an escarpment longer hitters could reach and receive quite a bit of bonus yardage.  To top it off, or perhaps I should say bottom it off, there's a small burn behind the green to punish the over aggressive approach.

Five is a shortish but delicious par 3 with a small green with internal movement.  On one of my first visits there I came up behind a group of three women. I was on the fourth fairway and watching their tee shots.  One hit a short iron which stopped on the green and the second player, a much older woman, hit was probably a five wood along the ground and got it nearly as close.  Many way to play links golf there are.

The sixth is called Braid's choice on the card and it is a dogleg left which would be reachable in two for many players if you can cling to the left side of the fairway.  There's a small water course there, though.  I think there's a trap guarding the right of the green.   It's a terrific hole with the potential of risk/reward for those who hit the ball a reasonable distance

The 7th is a brute of a par 3.  I don't know what the elevation is exactly but for the ordinary player it's a most difficult green to hold since you are not hitting a lofted club.

The numbering of the remainder of the holes escapes me at the moment, but I think the 9th is another cracker of a par 3 that runs along the boundary fence.  It used to be a six iron for me but it might be a 3 wood now.

A hole whose number escapes me but which is called Mary's Cottage is the last of the par fives and it goes up and over a rise in the ground and has a green tucked left and near the out of bounds.  For such a short and unknown course I think Reay has a superb set of three par fives.  None are boring and every present opportunities and hazards. 

The sixteenth hole is named the Viking's Grave and I admit that it why I went there in the first place.  The hole itself may be most the lackluster of all 18, but it's a very intriguing name. 

Several of the par fours run away from you, two of them to blind greens.  Lot of quirk which indicates the golf at Reay is very much found and not manufactured.

Conditioning can be an issue.  When I played there in 2013 some of the greens had virtually no grass on them at all.  I would classify Ray's conditioning as a step below rustic verging on primitive.

All in all, I highly recommend it.  Pace of play is never a problem as yours is likely to be the only group there.  Another time when I played and signed the guest book the only other players were singletons like myself and one was from London and the other from Australia. Three players, three continents virtually spanning the world.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2024, 03:33:41 AM »
Steve -

Your descriptions of a number of the holes are spot on. A lot of fun golf there.

I don't know if you have been back there since 2013. Currently the conditioning of the course is really pretty good, a solid grade better than what we found at Wick.

On #7, guessing there was no way I could carry the ball to green, I hit a 7-iron to the bottom of the valley. Not knowing the distance or how the shot would play, I hit a 9-iron from there.

When we climbed up to the green my ball was 2 1/2 feet from the hole, a very pleasant surprise. :)

DT

Pierre_C

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 01:53:43 PM »

Thank you David for the review of Reay GC. The course looks great, especially the tall dunes.  I'll be back in Scotland in Sept., I'm looking forward to my trip to Reay.

Reay GC is located a little over 10 miles west of Thurso. You turn off the A838 highway right into the club's parking lot. It is one of James Braid's 400 courses. He did work there, expanding the course to 18 holes, in 1933.

https://reaygolfclub.com/

Where some courses start off with a "gentle handshake," Reay starts with more of a slap in the face. The opener is a 225 yard par-3 that is followed by a 418 yard par-4. The 3rd is a 344 yard par-4 that played uphill into the wind. The 4th is a 566 yard par-5!

The land on the front-9 is close to the beach and quite linksy. In additional to the stiff opener, #7 is a 192 yard par-3 that is played from an elevated tee across a valley to a green that is even more elevated.

The front 9 makes good use of a couple of burns that run around and thru the property. There is a lot of golf packed into the 2,870 yards par of 34.

The back 9 is played on land that sits at a higher level, a bit of a "links in the sky." The holes run over and back across a ridge. There are 3 par-4's around 300 yards in length that were not pushovers. The course ends with an uphill par-3 of 152 yards.

I liked Reay quite a bit. If anything, the course might suffer from those who think a par-69 course of 5,628 yards is not worth their time. They would be mistaken.
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

Steve Wilson

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2024, 05:50:12 PM »
David,

I hope you made the putt for an unorthodox and rare par on the 7th.

I have been back to Reay since 2013 and in all of those cases the conditioning was better, sometimes much better than 2013.  2013 was an unusually dry and hot year.  I had gone up there to escape the heat hoping that the north coast had received more rain than the east coast around Golspie. 

2013 was also the year that the fairways at Tain were virtually white and nearly as firm as airport runways.   Once at Tain that year I hit a drive into the middle of a fairway but when it struck a mound it ricochetted at 90 degree angle and managed to cross the boundary fence 30 yards away.  I'm all for quirk, but I do draw the line at QUIRK.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

JohnVDB

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2024, 08:42:07 AM »
I played Reay last year and loved it.  That first hole with the wind off the right and the parking lot on the left is a little scary.

I met the grounds crew when I was there.  He is a really nice guy. As some said the condition is a little scruffy and the rough might be quite penal but when you have a crew of 1 that isn’t surprising.

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2024, 05:09:12 PM »
I'm going to be in the highlands for the latter part of June, concentrating mainly around Brora, but will have time for Durness and either Reay or Wick.
Which one would people recommend out of these 2.
I will be doing Golspie, Tain and hopefully Dornoch as well.

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 04:27:04 AM »
Richard

If it wasn't for the drive over to Durness being worth doing, I'd actually suggest you'd be better off playing both Wick and Reay and leave Durness for anther time. Both courses are well worth a play even if they don't have any truly outstanding holes the way Golspie has.

Niall

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2024, 04:52:50 AM »
NC 500 and Orkneys are a dream vacation for me. I've been happily enjoying these reviews, and hope to write my own someday. Here's hoping the food has been as good as the golf!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 04:55:06 AM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back