News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Bowman

Back Yard Synthetic Putting Green
« on: June 06, 2024, 01:21:32 PM »
It's likely I can install a synthetic putting green in my back yard.  Wife said OK, but likely doesnt appreciate what it might cost.
I live in New Hampshire.  I've contacted one company I found on my google search.  They stated approx $16/square foot.  The area I've outlined will be in the neighborhood of 1600sf. The company is Northeast Synthetic Turf

Questions for you guys:1) does anyone have recommendations for other companies to inquire with?2) is there anyone with experience putting one in that can give advise on what to do and what they wish they had done differently?

Michael Felton

Re: Back Yard Synthetic Putting Green
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2024, 01:50:19 PM »
That's a big area - about a 45 foot diameter circle. I think most people who do these probably go about 30x20 or so, which is much more reasonably priced. I would go with one that can take a chip/pitch relatively well and then I would have a mat somewhere you can pitch to it from and close by you can chip from.

Friend of mine did one - he I think went with southwest greens - https://www.southwestgreens.com/ and they did a pretty good job with his. I think it's a franchise type of set up so YMMV

Peter Bowman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2024, 02:29:56 PM »
Thanks Michael. 

I have a rather large yard and so I'm looking to maximize it.  All costs aside I considered making it even bigger than the 60x27ft area.

The land is a point jutting out from the rest of the property so we might as well use it all.  Simplifies and reduces the mowing.  #GoingGreen right?   :D
Next question: since it's a fairly large green, should I add any unique features to it like maybe a Biarritz, tiers, ridges or short hillocks? 
I'm looking to maximize interest in putting various challenges.  The land already slopes from left to right toward the 30 degree pitched pond bank that slopes down to the pond. Certainly a flush flat area of about 12' for practicing proper putting alignment.
I'm sure over time the land will settle and it'll no longer be 100% flush there.

Peter Bowman

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2024, 03:25:09 PM »

Peter Bowman

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2024, 03:26:06 PM »
who can tell me how to attach a photo to this interface?  I've tried a couple times on phone and PC and got nowhere

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2024, 03:54:47 PM »
Being in New Hampshire, have you considered using part of the budget to set up a simulator to use in the winter/inclement weather?  While this sounds like a great project, maybe you can maximize your golf use by combining them? Not sure if you have a place indoors to put it, but just thought if you are adding some golf recreation, a sim is a good addition as well.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Michael Felton

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2024, 03:55:07 PM »
Somewhere there is a tutorial about attaching pictures, but basically you need to upload it to photobucket or something like that and then link to it in here with the insert image button, which for me is the left most second row button right under the bold button.

You have room to do some interesting things with it, but based on my friend's green, I'd be careful about making the slopes too big. His has a bump in it which is supposed to create breaking putts, but it seems to have way more effect than a real grass green would. The ball wanders off if it goes over the bump and turns in a not natural way to my eye. It works for what he needs, but I'd make sure that any break is pretty subtle.

Peter Bowman

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 04:04:57 PM »
Jeff,

I have a SkyTrak simulator in my attic.  It's a cramped 13'x40' with a dividing chimney and a 45* roof line that had 2-3" nails protruding.  It was also uninsulated, but it was good enough for winter use.

The room is currently being renovated to black walnut stained wood ceiling and panels, paint and some wallpapers.
I considered building a small barn for a simulator but I know me and I'd use it less if i had to drag some clubs 100 yards from my house through the snow to get to it.

So the current location is excellent for pitch shots off natural turf.

Im asking for a stimp speed of 9, but the company says 10 is good.  SO other than a swale, I'll keep contours more subtle, Michael.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 06:14:32 PM »
I have a synthetic putting green.  It is used--mainly by grandkids.  My only word of caution--don't underestimate the cost and time in upkeep on a green.  Needs to be regularly maintained.

Daryl David

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2024, 08:07:41 PM »
I have a synthetic putting green.  It is used--mainly by grandkids.  My only word of caution--don't underestimate the cost and time in upkeep on a green.  Needs to be regularly maintained.

Amen to that. I had one in the PNW. Controlling moss forming on the green and defending against bears took a lot of time. Who knew bears hate red flags. Make sure your hole flags are white. The bears attacked my red flags with abandon.  :)

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2024, 08:58:19 PM »
I can recommend SynLawn, as I've known some folks who have installed that (and we've had a SynLawn albeit indoors at our academy for 13-14 years now).
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2024, 10:03:30 PM »
Erik, I used to have a small synthetic green inside, and it worked much better than outside.  Nice to have it outdoors for many reasons, including no need to water it, but it sure does require maintenance from all the outdoor invasive elements.  Something always wrong!  (although I haven't seen any bears yet in coastal California.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 10:05:06 PM by Jim Hoak »

John Handley

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2024, 10:45:40 PM »
I used Southwest greens in my backyard when I lived in the Bay Area.  It was awesome. They did a really nice job.  I cannot remember what I paid but I enjoyed having it.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2024, 12:38:01 AM »
I've had good results with Synlawn. Dave Pelz did a lot of work getting the bounce and roll with them in their R&D department. I also used his son, Eddie, as the installer of several some time ago. They had a variety of natural rough colors.
I have a small one myself about 800 sft - lots of break. :)
It used a very light sanding to weigh down the turf.
It has required very little maintenance, mostly cleaning off the leaves and debris - I don't care about the pace - probably rolls like an average green - 9ish.
The dog and kids loved playing on it too.
I would suggest tying it into the edges of a hard surface vs being surrounded by turf.
Some pics of a neighborhood install.... http://www.mnuzzo.com/SYN/
And a corporate install..... http://www.mnuzzo.com/SYN/Energy/
Mike
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Peter Bowman

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2024, 06:22:40 PM »
I've had good results with Synlawn. Dave Pelz did a lot of work getting the bounce and roll with them in their R&D department. I also used his son, Eddie, as the installer of several some time ago. They had a variety of natural rough colors.
I have a small one myself about 800 sft - lots of break. :)
It used a very light sanding to weigh down the turf.
It has required very little maintenance, mostly cleaning off the leaves and debris - I don't care about the pace - probably rolls like an average green - 9ish.
The dog and kids loved playing on it too.
I would suggest tying it into the edges of a hard surface vs being surrounded by turf.
Some pics of a neighborhood install.... http://www.mnuzzo.com/SYN/
And a corporate install..... http://www.mnuzzo.com/SYN/Energy/
Mike

Thanks for the tips Mike.  There are no hard surfaces to tie it into in my back yard.  We’re rural.  No concrete in sight. Just clay soil

I can’t imagine the maintenance is much beyond leaf blowing and reapplying sand periodically

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back