News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Ballybunion Golf Club has decided to do extensive work on the their Cashen course. Apparently this will include work on almost every green, some changes to the topography throughout the course and relocation of at least one green (#5).

The work will be done by Tom Watson and Graham Maxwell and will be done gradually over a period of 5-6 years, with a desire to spread out the project cost driving the project schedule.

This was reported to me by fellow Ballybunion member and friend Kevin Frost who some may know has a history with the Cashen. Kevin was the person who hit balls for Robert Trent Jones and did quite a few paintings when the course was built in the early 1980s.

The Cashen has been the subject of controversy since it’s inception for a few reasons. The original design was very difficult to walk and the grow in didn’t go very well at all. Then too, there were some fairways that were simply too narrow given normal wind conditions.

This news sadly brings to mind to passing of Neil Regan who loved the Cashen, whatever it’s faults. I am sure Neil would hope the Watson led work goes well.
Tim Weiman

Sean_A

Re: Tom Watson to lead extensive work on Ballybunion’s Cashen Course
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 02:19:54 AM »
Is Kevin the chap you hung with at St Pat's?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 02:29:42 AM »
Graham Webster is the architect (not Maxwell). He oversaw the work on Ballybunion Old course a few years ago, as well as being responsible for the changes to Tralee 6,7,8.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 03:05:34 AM »
Is Kevin the chap you hung with at St Pat's?

Ciao
Sean,

Yes. I’ve known Kevin since my first trip to Ballybunion in the late 1980s.
Tim Weiman

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 03:07:14 AM »
Graham Webster is the architect (not Maxwell). He oversaw the work on Ballybunion Old course a few years ago, as well as being responsible for the changes to Tralee 6,7,8.
Ally,

Correct. I got the last name wrong.
Tim Weiman

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2023, 10:24:10 AM »
Ally,

Didn't Brian Phillips work with Graeme Webster under Niblick Golf Design banner

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 11:24:57 AM »
Ally,

Didn't Brian Phillips work with Graeme Webster under Niblick Golf Design banner

Yup!
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 11:29:28 AM »
Not the easiest walk but many a cracking hole. Hope the revamp doesn’t result in the loss of the courses quirkiness.
Atb

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2023, 12:29:13 PM »
Not the easiest walk but many a cracking hole. Hope the revamp doesn’t result in the loss of the courses quirkiness.
Atb
Thomas,

To some extent that has already happened with the gradual softening over the years.
Tim Weiman

Kevin_Reilly

Played Cashen today.  The four new holes (4-7) opened for play last week.  I guess they are an improvement (more margin for error off the tee), but I didn't care for them.  American-style bunkers added to #4 and paved cart paths also added (from greens to tees).

The new holes feel like a "links" course built in the US.

Great course for the golf ball industry...I challenge anyone to play it and lose less than a sleeve of balls.

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2024, 03:28:57 PM »
Played Cashen today.  The four new holes (4-7) opened for play last week.  I guess they are an improvement (more margin for error off the tee), but I didn't care for them.  American-style bunkers added to #4 and paved cart paths also added (from greens to tees).

The new holes feel like a "links" course built in the US.

Great course for the golf ball industry...I challenge anyone to play it and lose less than a sleeve of balls.

Shocking!

Did anyone at the club supervise the construction?  Amazing that Watson or whoever was the real architect would impose an American style golf holes on a course built in 1893. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2024, 03:52:25 PM »
Joel:

The Cashen course in question was built in 1983, by Robert Trent Jones Sr.

I played it very early on after it opened in 1985.  The professional at the time, Ted Higgins, told me I was probably the first player to finish 18 holes without losing a ball.  It was certainly some of the best golf I've ever played.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back