News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Par 3 or 9 Hole Course near Detroit - Suggestions?
« on: May 16, 2024, 10:51:34 AM »
Travelling to Detroit this Summer and looking for a Par 3 or short course in that area.

Anything interesting worth playing?

Thanks!

Chris_Blakely

Re: Par 3 or 9 Hole Course near Detroit - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 05:13:34 PM »
Fox Hills in Plymouth, MI has an 18 hole par 3 course called Strategic Fox that is not bad

Wyandotte Shores in Wyandotte, MI has a very good Jerry Mathews 9 hole regulation course that plays right along the Detroit River.  It has been discussed on this website before.

Riverview Highlands in Riverview, MI has 3 9 holes courses (nothing great here).

If you are going to be close to Birmingham, MI they have two solid 9 hole courses:

Springdale (built in 1929) and Lincoln Hills (Bruce & Jerry Mathews course)

There are other options, but off the top of my head these are solid options.

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 01:59:34 AM »
Hickory Hill.

It's my favorite public course in the whole Detroit area. True tucked away mom and pop course, designed I believe by the family that has owned it forever.  Some really good greens and hole strategies using the land brilliantly. And I even like the trees, which are scattered about randomly and naturally, coming directly into play on 1, 4, and 9. At 4, a single centerline tree plays a Principal's Nose role in tightening the ideal side from which to approach the tilted green.

I've long wanted to do a "my home course" feature or something like that on it to help get the word out.  It's Michigan's version of Eagle Springs, though much less extreme.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Sean_A

Re: Par 3 or 9 Hole Course near Detroit - Suggestions? New
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 04:07:35 AM »
If we are talking about the sticks of Detroit, may as well try the back 9 at Huron Hills in Ann Arbor.

My last game at Wyandotte Shores left me unimpressed. The course has been dumbed down from its original setup. Very different presentation.

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 10:56:01 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Steve_Roths

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 09:19:24 AM »
Awesome.  Thanks!  I report back.

Brett Meyer

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 09:46:26 AM »
Try Silver Lake in Waterford. I played it in a match in high school and it had some of the craziest greens I've ever seen. I went back a few years later to double check and my first impression was right--there's some pretty special stuff.

I have no idea about its origins, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some interest there.

I'm not as enthusiastic about Hickory Hill as the other Brett, but if you're out on the west side of town, it's a pleasant 9-holer.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 09:51:15 AM by Brett Meyer »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back