News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

PETE DYE-No courses out EAST
« on: December 07, 2003, 05:03:20 PM »
In the Steve Smyers thread, Joel Stewart brought up regional architects. Speeking of regional architects, Pete Dye, being as great of an architect as he is, has not designed (To my knowledge) a course east of Nemacolin Woodlands in PA. Any thoughts to this reason? One of the greatest architects of all time, one that has stood the test of time, has not designed a course were many of the greatest designers have and also where many of the great courses in America are located.(Eastern US) Are real thoughts to this or maybe he has choose not to....?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 06:34:10 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

SPDB

Re:PETE DYE-No courses out EAST
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 05:29:07 PM »
Anthony, I think you are mistaken about either dye's inventory or about the geography. Two that quickly come to mind:

Bulle Rock is east of Pittsburgh
Wintonbury Hills is east of Pittsburgh.

I am certain there are at least a few others in VA, MD and NC.

You do, generally, make a good point - he is nowhere to be found in the NE.

DPL11

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 05:31:19 PM »
SPDB,

Wasn't there some recent talk about a possible future project in NJ?

DPL11

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 05:41:46 PM »
DPL - yeah, i remember seeing something about a course that was going to be built in a sand pit or quarry.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 05:54:51 PM »
SPDB,
  Generally speaking, he hasn't designed anything in the MET area and East.....VA, WV, and NC aren't really considered the east where most of the greatest courses in America are
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 05:56:16 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

SPDB

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 06:05:02 PM »
you mean NE then? why not say that? East, to my mind means the East Coast (ME - FL).

He just designed Wintonbury Hills. BUt like I said, you're right., he hasn't designed anything in the NE

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 08:24:43 PM »
Yes, I posted a prior thread about a planned Pete Dye course to be built on a former sand quarry near Manahawkin, NJ. Construction may start this spring.
As far as other Dye courses in the area, besides Bulle Rock in MD, there are:
Rum Pointe (with P.B. Dye) near Ocean City, MD and Harbourtowne Golf Links in St. Michael's, MD
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

jim_lewis

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 08:38:58 PM »
SPDB:

North Carolina is in the SOUTH, not the East,  Trust me, there is a difference.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 11:17:32 PM »
Pete Dye never really had the big organization to build many courses at one time.  At least until Perry and PB came into the picture.  He built one course in Hawaii (Luana Hills) call it the far west and Casa de Campo in the Dominican Republic, call it international.  

I'm not sure what if any other international courses he built?

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 11:31:21 PM »

Joel,

Dye Designs has a bunch of courses in Japan, Thailand, China, Malaysia, South Korea, Taiwan and others. Some of them have Pete's name associated with them, one of them in Japan called the Pete Dye Club. I'd guess that Perry had more to do with them than Pete though.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2003, 03:50:51 AM »
Craig
Dye Designs as far I know has nothing to do with Pete Dye , but is Perry Dyes company that the Japanese bought into when it was about to go bankrupt.

I have played one of the Dye Design courses in Thailand , Khao Kheow CC , and like the others Perry built in SE Asia, after it was finished he dragged his father to Khao Kheow and got him to play 9 holes . After this Pete Dyes photo went up in the reception area and they now declare it a Pete Dye designed golf course .

Being a pedantic , I am for ever correcting people in the local bars down here. But this seems to be whats important nowadays , it doesnt matter that the course is a mess , as long as they can go back home from their vacations boasting about how they played a Pete Dye designed Golf Course.

BE

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2003, 09:58:53 AM »
I would venture to guess that Pete don't pull no punches. Which is a style when dealing with people who have more money than sense rarely gets the job.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2003, 05:05:55 PM »
Just for the sake of accuracy, Bulle Rock is east of Baltimore. There is also the Pete Dye club in West Virginia. Not sure if that counts. There is also a little "resort" called Harbour Towne in St. Michael's on Maryland's Eastern Shore that claims to have a Pete Dye course.

Nothing from Eastern PA up through New England that I'm aware of.

TimT

Anthony, I think you are mistaken about either dye's inventory or about the geography. Two that quickly come to mind:

Bulle Rock is east of Pittsburgh
Wintonbury Hills is east of Pittsburgh.

I am certain there are at least a few others in VA, MD and NC.

You do, generally, make a good point - he is nowhere to be found in the NE.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2003, 05:14:09 PM »
Anthony,
I remember reading somewhere that PD did some work for the Lake Mohawk Golf club in NJ.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2003, 05:49:20 PM »
Jim
Your memory is correct.
From the club history of Lake Mohawk at their website:
www.lakemohawkgolfclub.com

"Periodically, the Club would invite analysis of the course by the USGA and each time would make improvements based upon their recommendations. One generous member even paid to have the world renowned golf course architect, Pete Dye, do an evaluation. Sand traps were added, rocks and ledge in the fairways would be blasted away, tees moved back to lengthen the yardage and the old fashioned rock hard greens were softened. A change to a new greens superintendent in 1980 began a major improvement in the playability of the course that continues today under course Superintendent Eric Carlson and Professional Davis DeRosa. This was accomplished with the lowest cost per green budget in New Jersey. "

It seems that this probably happened before 1980 and may have been one of Dye's earlier works on a small scale.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Brian Marion

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2003, 07:32:29 PM »
SPDB:

North Carolina is in the SOUTH, not the East,  Trust me, there is a difference.

Have you been here in a while? Are you sure about that?

:-)

LOL!

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2003, 05:25:57 PM »
In an effort to cut in front of Mike Vegis...The last time I looked, the ocean that the Ocean Course is named after is the Atlantic Ocean which appears to be eastward. Not to mention the Dye course at Barefoot Landing in Myrtle Beach.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2003, 06:32:35 PM »
In a effort to make you all understand, out east is South PA to Maine and where Kiawah is located wouth be the South, hence the name SOUTH Carolina. WV, Virgina, Maryland is the transition zone........ We always talk about all the great courses out east.....not east of the Mississippi, or East of Tom Paul's House.....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 06:33:02 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

SPDB

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2003, 08:27:58 PM »
oh, i get it. here I was thinking that SOUTH Dakota was in the north.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back