News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cal Carlisle

Re: Midwest USA GCA Knockout 2024 Edition
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2024, 11:57:47 AM »
A result:  I managed to defeat Ryan Taylor at Crystal Downs, 1 up, with a par at the 18th.  He was giving me too many shots [my handicap is not as low as it used to be].

Archie Struthers is envious. (I kid, I kid.)

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2024, 08:28:51 PM »
A result:  I managed to defeat Ryan Taylor at Crystal Downs, 1 up, with a par at the 18th.  He was giving me too many shots [my handicap is not as low as it used to be].

So, Bill and Bob, if you are going to play in Traverse City, let me know when, and maybe I can play the winner.  Although, I'm only in town June 19-25, and then away in Scotland until July 18.  [On the other hand, if you wait until July 21, we could play our match going twice around the first holes to open at High Pointe.]

Tom's being too modest as he drummed me on the back 9 all the while discussing intricate details about the course he helped elevate. Thank you Tom for a really special day! 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 08:30:30 PM by Ryan Taylor »
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

George Smiltins

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2024, 06:25:16 PM »

Cal and I (who live about 10 blocks from each other in Shaker Heights and just met today) played at Congress Lake down in Hartville, Ohio today. I came away with the win. Great day on a cool property neither of us had been to before. Didn’t do much research on the place before stopping in today so would love to learn more from all of you if have any nuggets.

George Smiltins

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2024, 05:31:51 PM »
Any updates here?

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2024, 08:36:18 PM »
I was supposed to play Josh Bills, we exchanged some texts but I never heard back from him!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Buck Wolter

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2024, 09:47:20 AM »
Charlie and I have been trying to set something up in Southern Minnesota but I think it rained every weekend through mid-July, I'm back in the area next week and we'll get something done --thinking Goldstrand.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2024, 09:56:09 AM »
Charlie and I have been trying to set something up in Southern Minnesota but I think it rained every weekend through mid-July, I'm back in the area next week and we'll get something done --thinking Goldstrand.

Sounds good to me, but yes, weather has been poor this year and a lot of flooding.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

George Freeman

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2024, 11:02:14 PM »
After a couple of concessions, Joe Melchiors and I will be facing off - we're hoping to wrap up our match in the next few weeks.  How is the top of the bracket coming?  Salmen v. McCarthy?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Buck Wolter

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2024, 03:36:24 PM »
Charlie and I couldn't make it work (my fault) -- I 'll forfeit.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

George Smiltins

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2024, 07:06:00 PM »
I was supposed to play Josh Bills, we exchanged some texts but I never heard back from him!

Any progress here?

Josh Bills

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2024, 08:48:24 AM »
I just texted him, we will see if we can get it done shortly, if not, I will concede.

Josh

Tom_Doak

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2024, 08:12:29 PM »
Any news from Seitz and Garvelink?

If you guys had played your cards right, winner could have played Chicago Golf with me next week!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2024, 09:06:50 PM »

Cal and I (who live about 10 blocks from each other in Shaker Heights and just met today) played at Congress Lake down in Hartville, Ohio today. I came away with the win. Great day on a cool property neither of us had been to before. Didn’t do much research on the place before stopping in today so would love to learn more from all of you if have any nuggets.
Looks like I play you next George! I am more than willing to come up and play up near Cleveland, hopefully at new course!
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Bill Seitz

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2024, 02:45:38 PM »
Any news from Seitz and Garvelink?

If you guys had played your cards right, winner could have played Chicago Golf with me next week!

I mean, I could still do that.  It's a quick 15 minute drive.

I've been trying to find time for another Michigan trip as the first two have been with family, which complicates things.  I have an up and back Sat-Sun the weekend after labor day where I could probably squeeze in a round if Bob wants to come to Kingsley.  I'm supposed to host some people for NewClub but I doubt we'll fill both foursomes.  This was always going to be tough first round match to schedule given geography, but I will accept some blame.

George Freeman

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2024, 03:25:25 PM »
Joe Melchiors and I will be facing off on 9/20.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Smiltins

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2024, 06:15:01 PM »
Rich and I squared off at Canterbury today and I was lucky to come out on top. Rich is a short game menace so watch out next time you play him!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2024, 07:34:53 AM »
Rich and I squared off at Canterbury today and I was lucky to come out on top. Rich is a short game menace so watch out next time you play him!

Thanks George! Canterbury definitely flies under the radar, and it might be my favorite Ohio course now! I'll try and putt better next time!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 09:40:34 AM by Richard Hetzel »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2024, 12:02:34 PM »
Did McCarthy/Salmen play?

I am now living in the Chicago area -- I am willing to move myself through the bracket as far as possible (assuming Charlie doesn't want to come to Chicago for a match).

Buck

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2024, 12:04:07 PM »
Did McCarthy/Salmen play?

I am now living in the Chicago area -- I am willing to move myself through the bracket as far as possible (assuming Charlie doesn't want to come to Chicago for a match).

Buck

No Buck, you go right ahead. I'm happy to forfeit our match because I probably can't make it.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

George Freeman

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2024, 06:34:41 PM »
It sounds like Steve Salmen beat John McCarthy.  So

Salmen vs. Wolter

&

Freeman vs. Melchoirs

That should round out the left half of the bracket!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2024, 04:20:15 PM »
I will gladly concede to Bob G, unless Tom happens to be in Traverse this weekend, and Bob decides to concede to me.  I will be in Traverse this weekend, Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, and so far my hosting duties at Kingsley have fallen through, so either slot is available.  Happy to host or play the match somewhere else. 

Joe Melchiors

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2024, 10:25:05 AM »
George and I are playing early next Friday (20th) morning on the at my club in Chicago -  two slots open if anyone wants to play their match or just join us for fun.

-Joe

Steve Salmen

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2024, 09:35:02 PM »
Salmen Def Wolter at Kankakee Elks.
I hope Buck's health returns soon. It was a nice afternoon playing golf with good people.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2024, 05:57:04 AM »
I hope Buck's health returns soon. It was a nice afternoon playing golf with good people.
Oh sorry to miss KE as that is one of my favorites in Illinois and carries such potential to be dusted off and brought back to its original glory. 
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Buck Wolter

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2024, 08:35:16 AM »
Great day and fun to catch up with Steve who I've crossed paths with at Mashies in the past but never played with (my health is good just low energy after a recent bout of Covid). L&M $33 to walk ~ hour from a Top 5 Metro? Agree with Jeff this place has so much potential -- unbelievable greensites/greens. Would love to see them cut down 500 trees and get some corridors back but could play it everyday -- now that I'm in Chicagoland will definitely be back. Par 3's were !!!.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back