News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schoolfield

Golden Gate Park GC grand (re)opening
« on: February 16, 2024, 07:52:06 PM »
This morning they did the ribbon cutting and played a ceremonial round. First tee times go off tomorrow morning (in the rain).

London Breed in purple, and you can see Rich Harris in the flat cap directly in front of me.

The clubhouse is actually finished!

Project manager Josh Lewis putts as architect Jay Blasi tends the flag on #5 during the ceremonial first round.

The new scorecard

The new map/routing.

I did a sketch of the photo, cause I thought it was something to celebrate.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 07:59:54 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Mark Kiely

Re: Golden Gate Park GC grand (re)opening
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 01:21:23 AM »
Cool sketch and thanks for the report! Are the I and II designations names for different tees or how it's intended to play if you go around twice? (I being first loop; II being the second.)
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 01:41:16 AM »
Cool sketch and thanks for the report! Are the I and II designations names for different tees or how it's intended to play if you go around twice? (I being first loop; II being the second.)

It’s operated by the First Tee, and that’s part of the design. The I tees are for beginners, have no forced carrys, better angles, and are a bit shorter. The II tees are for avid players.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

MHiserman

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 09:47:33 AM »
What a wonderful and exciting project to see come to fruition in San Francisco.  I will make out there soon.  Matt, would you be able to share any more photos from the day and golf course?
"Whether my schedule for the next day called for a tournament round or a trip to the practice tee, the prospect that there was going to be golf in it made me feel priviledged and extremely happy, and I couldn't wait for the sun to come up the next morning so that I could get on the course"-BH

David_Tepper

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 12:26:41 PM »
Jay Blasi's narration of the whole project, including a description of all the holes, here:

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/golden-gate-park-golf-course-san-francisco-municipal-reopens-renovation-jay-blasi/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 12:30:33 PM by David_Tepper »

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 09:26:26 PM »
Matt, would you be able to share any more photos from the day and golf course?

I can do you one better, my friend Mike was able to snag some weather cancellations so I was able to go around twice today (special thanks to the guys working their first day and still giving me the heads up on a second cancellation right before I left). It honestly didn't even rain on us (it maybe sprinkled for one hole) so I really it was really unbelievable to be able to play on the first day back opened.

Clubhouse:

#1 (left side of the photo):

#1 green (apologies for the blacked out faces, didn't think about sharing these on the internet, so didn't ask).

#2 (my friend Mike on the tee)

#2 green

#3 green

#4 green

#6 green

#8 green

The bus ride home:

So, I was able to play both the front and back tees and I will say it's very clear that the attention to the front tees was well done. On the back tees I was hitting full shots on each hole, with a slightly open sand wedge on the shortest ones. However playing from the front tees, almost every shot was either a short wedge or a bump-and-run 6 iron. The front tees were as fun as the back tees, and I suspect that we will play Ballyneal rules as far as teeing the ball during the next match, as the options really play to different strengths and weakness on the front and back.

As a regular at the course, I really have to praise Blasi's work on #2, #5, and #6. Without even being allowed to really change the holes (it was not technically a redesign), he was able to take three of the worst holes on the course (especially #2), and make them extremely interesting. The biggest thing I noticed, however, were the recovery shots. Most of the tee shots from the back tees play the same, so they seemed very familiar, where the play was really exciting trying to make an up-and-down on these enormous greens with crazy slope. That felt very, very different, and significantly more interesting than before.

The other huge noticeable change was the sand soil under your feet. Running it up to the hole (which I did on nearly every hole from the front tees) was simply not feasible previously. Now it very much is. The only birdie I had today (uff those contours!) was running it up the left on #7 and having it trickle right, just short of the hole.

It was really a special day for us. The forecast had it dumping rain all day (and it did on my bus ride home), but we managed to play in merely blustery conditions. I really can't wait to make it back out there.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 09:29:25 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 12:34:16 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun and full of atmosphere.

Quick question for the locals: on the website for booking a tee time the system is either not working or every time appears to be fully booked, which I suppose is possible.

I’m probably going to be in the area in mid April and was hoping to swing by the course one day. (Non residents probably can’t book that far out I realize but even a search for the next week yielded no times)

Thanks in advance for any insights on that. I’ll call the course closer to my visit.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024, 12:42:01 AM »
Quick question for the locals: on the website for booking a tee time the system is either not working or every time appears to be fully booked, which I suppose is possible.

I’m probably going to be in the area in mid April and was hoping to swing by the course one day. (Non residents probably can’t book that far out I realize but even a search for the next week yielded no times)
I booked a round last night, after midnight... as a single... one week in advance. There were only two slots available for the whole day, and the were both for singles. I think that's the way it's going to be for a while. If you want to try for yourself, go ahead and check the website around midnight (Pacific Time), and see if you can see any openings. Residents don't get priority booking. The also changed their booking website, so make sure you're using the EZLinks sight, and not the old FourUp site: https://goldengatepub.ezlinksgolf.com/index.html#/search

I would offer to try to help you book, but mid-April is going to be a busy time for me this year.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 12:53:31 AM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2024, 12:59:34 AM »

I booked a round last night, after midnight... as a single... one week in advance. There were only two slots available for the whole day, and the were both for singles. I think that's the way it's going to be for a while. If you want to try for yourself, go ahead and check the website around midnight (Pacific Time), and see if you can see any openings. Residents don't get priority booking. The also changed their booking website, so make sure you're using the EZLinks sight, and not the old FourUp site: https://goldengatepub.ezlinksgolf.com/index.html#/search

I would offer to try to help you book, but mid-April is going to be a busy time for me this year.

Thanks for the intel - and glad to know I wasn’t crazy when doing the search. Hopefully I get lucky.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back