News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Max Prokopy

Sand Hills Access: Writing a Letter
« on: February 07, 2024, 08:51:44 PM »
Sand Hills has been #1 on my bucket list for about 20 years.  I'll finally be nearby in late July. 

I have no contact there but have heard one can pen a letter to the club and get on as a one-off unaccompanied guest.  I've also heard that they have recently started to reject most requests. 

Would anyone be able to offer current knowledge of the process or tips for writing the letter? 
[/size]Thank you in advance. [/color]

Jason Thurman

Re: Sand Hills Access: Writing a Letter
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 10:37:31 PM »
I hear the club stopped allowing any unaccompanied guest play when you hit "Post."
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 02:01:43 AM »
This was from about 6 months ago—not a ton of info, but something.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 10:58:33 AM »
My guess is that it would help if you specify a date.  Then they can see how many bookings they have from members on that day, and make a decision, instead of putting your name on a spreadsheet and MAYBE getting back to you in the spring.

It would help if the date is not during their prime months [July will probably be difficult].

I don't have inside info from Sand Hills, but this approach is what the starter at The Old Course told me years ago, as a walk-up.  It didn't do any good there to go over and ask if you could play later . . . he didn't know how busy the tee would be "later".  But if you were ready to go right then, and there was a gap for whatever reason, off you'd go!

Will Lozier

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 12:45:31 PM »
Apologies if this sounds harsh, but this type of thread is inappropriate for this discussion group. I comes off as groping for an invite. A legitimate question? Sure. Worth its' own thread on a golf course architecture discussion board? No.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 01:19:00 PM »
Apologies if this sounds harsh, but this type of thread is inappropriate for this discussion group. I comes off as groping for an invite. A legitimate question? Sure. Worth its' own thread on a golf course architecture discussion board? No.

Will,

To your point, I am pretty sure the late Neil Regan wasn’t inclined to advertise he was a member at Winged Foot. I think it was because he didn’t want to get bombarded with requests to play the course.

On the other hand, Neil did get to know quite a few GCA participants and was a gracious host. I will never forget Neil hosting Tommy Naccarato and I one afternoon. Tommy, of course, couldn’t really walk the course, but Neil gave us a real treat showing us what he had learned about Winged Foot greens over the years.

Bottom line: get to know people first and address the issue of access privately.
Tim Weiman

Michael Moore

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 02:20:22 PM »

Max -

Using various disguises and aliases I have accessed Sand Hills many times over the years. The following talking points have worked for me, but use your imagination. Good luck!

I have deep family ties to Mullen.

I want to become a member and would like a tour of the facilities.

I need to play Sand Hills in order to complete the world top one hundred.

I am a Michelin rater who heard great things about your hamburger.

I am a blogger who will finally write the "I walked here from Dismal" article.

I got a NetJets gift card in my stocking.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 02:22:06 PM »
I think the OP is in a different category than the old "I am going to be visiting Monterey/SF/Long Island/Philadelphia...can anyone suggest a course?" threads that used to be common here (15+ years ago). 

Sand Hills has long had a "write a letter and MAYBE you can " policy...OP was just asking about it.  Many members of this board did that same thing ages ago.  Of course there are probably better sites to ask the question (Golfwrx and THP).  And of course, that policy is probably not as useful anymore, as the demand for play and the inherent short season make opportunities for unaccompanied play very limited.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Max Prokopy

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 03:00:59 PM »

Will - no apology required.  I debated long and hard about even doing this for the reason you mentioned.  I took it on faith that GCA has enough people who would see my interest as sincere (which it is). 

FYI - there are numerous examples of pandering for invitations on this board.  I hope you replied to those, as well.  I didn't ask for an invitation.  But by all means, assume what you wish. 

Max Prokopy

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 03:03:41 PM »
To those who offered genuine replies - I sincerely appreciate the advice.  It's very kind of you. 

Mike Worth

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 03:35:06 PM »

I probably shouldn’t say anything but I will. This is a tad harsh. The original poster was humble in his request.

The request was also phrased as something he had heard — which in this case was correct. I’ve had friends and acquaintances access Sand Hills in precisely this manner. 

It’s not like the request was “who here is a member at Sand Hills and can sponsor me?”

Generally speaking, requests to access hard to get into places should not be on here, but I was not offended by this one, but then again, I don’t speak for anyone other than myself

Jeff Schley

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 04:11:47 PM »
I hear the club stopped allowing any unaccompanied guest play when you hit "Post."
Funny Jason.  At least you didn't say, "I won't be around mid-July to host you, but let me check with our GM to see if we still allow letters for outside play." ;)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ira Fishman

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 04:29:52 PM »
To those who offered genuine replies - I sincerely appreciate the advice.  It's very kind of you.

Max,

On the advice of a regular poster here, I wrote a hand written note to Mr. Youngscap in 2021. I received a very prompt and gracious e-mail from the club manager who politely, and I believe sincerely, informed me that Mr. Youngscap no longer handled the letters and that due to the back up demand from Covid, the course was not allowing unaccompanied play until 2023. My guess (just a complete guess) is that the tradition of honoring some letters still holds but that the year potentially available has been pushed back.

And there is certainly no harm in giving it a try.

Ira

Mike Worth

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2024, 06:18:55 PM »

Max,

On the advice of a regular poster here, I wrote a hand written note to Mr. Youngscap in 2021. I received a very prompt and gracious e-mail from the club manager who politely, and I believe sincerely, informed me that Mr. Youngscap no longer handled the letters and that due to the back up demand from Covid, the course was not allowing unaccompanied play until 2023. My guess (just a complete guess) is that the tradition of honoring some letters still holds but that the year potentially available has been pushed back.

Ira

I had a friend write in 2019. Pre-pandemic there was apparently plenty of availability. They put my friend and his group up for two nights in the cabins and they played for three days.

Daryl David

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2024, 09:07:35 PM »

Max,

Ira

I had a friend write in 2019. Pre-pandemic there was apparently plenty of availability. They put my friend and his group up for two nights in the cabins and they played for three days.

Good info, but as my daughter would say. “That is so 2019”.  ;D ;D

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2024, 09:08:14 PM »
Write a letter and see what happens? Worst thing is they say is "not this year."

I think Tom Doak gave the best advice which was to go later in the season or a "non-peak" time.

They are nice people at Sand Hills. I'm sure they get many requests but if your plans work for their tee sheet you might get a chance to play.
H.P.S.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2024, 10:02:53 AM »
Yes and even if you don’t get on Sand Hills, go and play the other courses you can obtain access.  You will be shocked by how much you will long to be back in Nebraska.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2024, 10:27:06 AM »

Max -

Using various disguises and aliases I have accessed Sand Hills many times over the years. The following talking points have worked for me, but use your imagination. Good luck!

I have deep family ties to Mullen.

I want to become a member and would like a tour of the facilities.

I need to play Sand Hills in order to complete the world top one hundred.

I am a Michelin rater who heard great things about your hamburger.

I am a blogger who will finally write the "I walked here from Dismal" article.

I got a NetJets gift card in my stocking.

Very Cute  ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2024, 10:41:50 AM »
A lot of courses allow unaccompanied guests, continue writing your letters, I remember Sebonac, just after it opened, they wanted $650 unaccompanied. Too rich for my blood. I did pay $500 so I could complete my top 100 quest, The Alotian Club in Little Rock
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2024, 02:44:23 PM »
A lot of courses allow unaccompanied guests, continue writing your letters, I remember Sebonac, just after it opened, they wanted $650 unaccompanied. Too rich for my blood. I did pay $500 so I could complete my top 100 quest, The Alotian Club in Little Rock

This absolutely begs for your analysis of the Alotian.  I bet you played cartball.  Over/Under is a Doak 5.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2024, 10:27:56 AM »

This absolutely begs for your analysis of the Alotian.  I bet you played cartball.  Over/Under is a Doak 5.

Ya think??  Alotian is pretty much unwalkable

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back