News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

BUDA - Friday suggestions
« on: January 29, 2024, 05:46:49 PM »
As noted in the BUDA thread, we need to work out what we're doing on Friday 20 September.

Early suggestions include Kinghorn and Anstruther.  I'm going to make enquiries of Kinghorn (Anstruther has always been a rock up and tee up place, in my experience), but would welcome any other suggestions, especially from those confirmed as attending (which means I have your money in my account!)
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: BUDA - Friday suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 06:06:44 PM »
Mark as you have proved yourself such a skilled negotiator, your challenge is to get the links trust to let you get 24 out on The Ladies Course, before the normal start time, and then 2 hrs later The Eden Course. 

Or morning at Kinghorn and afternoon at the almost adjacent Burntisland? 
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 06:09:44 PM »
While my money isn't yet in your account let me say that Kinghorn is a good shout and also another place you can likely just rock up and get on being a muni.

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 06:13:02 PM »
While my money isn't yet in your account let me say that Kinghorn is a good shout and also another place you can likely just rock up and get on being a muni.

Niall

My experience suggests its often busy. I think normally they accept bookingsv7 days in advance but I'm pretty sure they do "Society's" ?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 05:45:41 AM »
Didn't someone in their "Yank Awards" response suggest that Burntisland was disappointing?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 02:44:50 PM »
Have run it through the Search function. That might have been James Reader but i know he's not coming, so sod him! ;)

One of the leading creators of BUDA, the greatly missed Rihc, has several times mentioned it and in particular several cool Willie Park greens. 

It's all opinion and I'll get there one day to decide for myself!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 02:54:52 PM by Tony_Muldoon »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 03:54:25 PM »
It has been pointed out to me by Giles Payne (now a lurker due to an inability to log in) that Kinghorn (and Burntisland) is a bit of a trek from Crail.  He suggested Leven, a suggestion I approve of.  Thoughts on Leven?

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 04:47:13 PM »
It has been pointed out to me by Giles Payne (now a lurker due to an inability to log in) that Kinghorn (and Burntisland) is a bit of a trek from Crail.  He suggested Leven, a suggestion I approve of.  Thoughts on Leven?

Played it a few years ago when it was hard as a rock which may be why I enjoyed it so much.
AKA Mayday

James Reader

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 04:59:25 PM »
Didn't someone in their "Yank Awards" response suggest that Burntisland was disappointing?

That was me. Maybe I was expecting too much but it just didn’t do it for me. There are a few too many pretty ordinary holes for my liking, probably not helped by the fact that it was playing very soft after a lot of rain. I know others do really like it though, so please don’t just take my word for it.

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 06:50:16 PM »
I played Burntisland with Michael Graham when we played a match in the knock out. I enjoyed it and there were several really quite interesting holes but agree there was a lot of average if pleasant golf. Kinghorn in comparison is far more entertaining. Leven is lovely and clearly the best golf course of the 3 IMO but I'm still swayed towards Kinghorn due to the quirk factor.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 07:32:45 PM »
You should all go play Auchterderran in honour of Rihc.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2024, 04:18:43 AM »
Sadly I won't be able to join you but not that far away is somewhere that might appeal to GCA tastes -Kingarrock and it's old course hickory golf experience - https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/hill-of-tarvit-mansion/highlights/kingarrock-hickory-golf
Best to all participating. Have a great time.
atb

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2024, 05:24:58 AM »
You should all go play Auchterderran in honour of Rihc.

An excellent idea. Perhaps do that on Friday afternoon ?

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2024, 05:34:55 AM »
Another suggestion
Not sure about how the Autumn meeting might affect this, but its an opportunity to take BUDA to St Andrews!

Once season starts in March, can book online for The Himalayas. Max cost £4! "Experienced golfers" half price!
Not sure if it can cope with Months ahead or even if its still open on Weekdays in September? They wont go live until March.
Matches to count!

Coffee and sandwich in New Clubhouse. Watch the 'Awful and the Corrupt' hack it up the second on TOC.
12.30pm Eden Course £70. They are taking online enquires now.

5PM toast Old Friends in Dunvegan.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2024, 05:54:31 AM »
Another suggestion
Not sure about how the Autumn meeting might affect this, but its an opportunity to take BUDA to St Andrews!

Once season starts in March, can book online for The Himalayas. Max cost £4! "Experienced golfers" half price!
Not sure if it can cope with Months ahead or even if its still open on Weekdays in September? They wont go live until March.
Matches to count!

Coffee and sandwich in New Clubhouse. Watch the 'Awful and the Corrupt' hack it up the second on TOC.

This actually sounds like a great option.  The Eden has the greatest Delta between its good (great) holes and it's worst (awful) and, for all sorts of reasons is of architectural interest.  It's also the best value in St Andrews and is s course I try to play at least once a year.  The Himalayas are just fantastic fun, too.  And St Andrews is only 15 minutes from Crail (and has good after golf Friday evening options).

I guess if we're trying to book times on the Eden we'd need to move swiftly, so let's have a quick vote and we can then move. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2024, 06:47:25 AM »
The one knock on Kinghorn for me is the driving time, but I'm willing. Played both Lundin and Leven a few years back and would be happy to get there. The St. Andrews idea is intriguing. I'm happy to do any of the three options mentioned.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2024, 07:08:19 AM »
I'm coming round to the idea that the drive to Kinghorn kills that as a suggestion.  Google Maps says it's an hour from the centre of Crail.  But whilst I think that Google Maps is normally conservative, that sounds fast to me.  I reckon it takes the best part of an hour from St Monans (just east of Elie).  I really enjoy Kinghorn, and would heartily recommend it as s top on the way up/down but my preference, unless strongly out-voted, would be to go somewhere closer on the Friday.

mike_malone

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2024, 01:44:36 PM »
The one knock on Kinghorn for me is the driving time, but I'm willing. Played both Lundin and Leven a few years back and would be happy to get there. The St. Andrews idea is intriguing. I'm happy to do any of the three options mentioned.

+1
AKA Mayday

Steve Holloway

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2024, 05:29:02 AM »

I would echo John's sentiments - but I very much like the sound of Spangles' suggestion and would vote for that one.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2024, 08:43:37 AM »
Another suggestion

Matches to count!

This actually sounds like a great option.  The Eden has the greatest Delta between its good (great) holes and it's worst (awful) and, for all sorts of reasons is of architectural interest.  It's also the best value in St Andrews and is s course I try to play at least once a year.  The Himalayas are just fantastic fun, too.  And St Andrews is only 15 minutes from Crail (and has good after golf Friday evening options).

I guess if we're trying to book times on the Eden we'd need to move swiftly, so let's have a quick vote and we can then move.
YES!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jeff Schley

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2024, 09:01:35 AM »
Another suggestion

Matches to count!

YES!
YES, never played Eden.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Enno Gerdes

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2024, 09:54:11 AM »
Happy with the Himalayas/Eden combination, but would also be willing to travel to Kinghorn, or whatever else is a reasonable option.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2024, 09:57:01 AM »
We need to make a decision on Friday golf.  Before we look to book anything, can I have an indication as to how many are committed to a round (or two, or a round and the Himalayas) on the Friday?  Bear in mind that whilst the Thursday and Sunday are 36 hole days, the Saturday is only 18.

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2024, 10:02:18 AM »
Mark

My (strong) preference would be a game on the Eden in the morning followed by the Himalayas in the afternoon. Personally I'm already committed to 4 other rounds and 5 rounds (most guys are playing 6) over 4 days is more than enough. I also think a game on the Himalayas would be unique; not too taxing; and great fun. It would also allow a bit of time to explore the town for those that don't get to St Andrews that often.

Niall   

Mark Pearce

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2024, 10:09:14 AM »
Mark

My (strong) preference would be a game on the Eden in the morning followed by the Himalayas in the afternoon. Personally I'm already committed to 4 other rounds and 5 rounds (most guys are playing 6) over 4 days is more than enough. I also think a game on the Himalayas would be unique; not too taxing; and great fun. It would also allow a bit of time to explore the town for those that don't get to St Andrews that often.

Niall
This is also my preference.  But I won't book the Eden until we know numbers - I know I could drop a slot or two at Elie or Crail, not so sure about the Links Trust.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back