News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Here's the scenario:

A higher end golf club/living community with multiple golf courses asks you to prepare a list of architects to be interviewed. The goal would be to put a course on the ground that makes the golfing community say "WOW" yet still be fun and playable for a typically older membership with all levels of ability. Located in Florida, so the land is essentially flat. The new architect would be largely locked into the current routing because the current holes are either surrounded by houses or protected wildlife areas. The good news: the houses are sufficiently set back from the course so these courses are not "water left, houses right." In fact, the current courses are fine, playable for all levels and extremely well-maintained.

Like most higher end golf clubs in Florida. the club hiring you is in a very good financial position now (with a full membership and 50 people in a golf awaiting category with limited access to the courses.) However, there is concern about an aging membership and the ability to continue to be able to attract new members. I am of the opinion that creating a truly superior golf course would be a wise investment and ensure the flow of prospective members.

What architects would you recommend? I have to assume that "big" names like Doak, Coore & Crenshaw, and Gil Hanse would not be interested due to the limitations of the site. Then again, might they be interested if given a free hand and sufficient budget? Related question: would you even dare to build something as "diifferent" as Doak or C & C?  There's no bigger fan of these guys than me but how would a membership NOT acquainted with there work react?

I have my own ideas on who I would recommend but I'll throw it open to the treehouse. (Feel free to send me a private message if you have ideas that you would like to keep private.)

Cheers.

Bill

Tim_Weiman

Re: Let's say your were hired as a consultant to hire an architect
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 08:44:43 PM »
Bill,

Nick Schreiber didn’t do bad giving an opportunity to Brian Schneider.
Tim Weiman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 03:19:11 AM »
For one thing, a lot of architects are already committed to projects
In FL and at the high end of the market our clients don’t want us to also work for the guy across the street.

I would also say there is some danger in trying to turn an existing FL courses into a “Wow”.  That’s going to require significant changes and getting all of the members on the same page about a major change is not easy.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 06:48:59 AM »
Mike Nuzzo.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 07:05:27 AM »
There are very different kinds of masterplanned projects. Some are core “great” golf. Some are anything but.

Different architects have skills in different areas.

I couldn’t possibly even suggest the best answer to this question.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 07:08:54 AM »
For one thing, a lot of architects are already committed to projects
In FL and at the high end of the market our clients don’t want us to also work for the guy across the street.

I would also say there is some danger in trying to turn an existing FL courses into a “Wow”.  That’s going to require significant changes and getting all of the members on the same page about a major change is not easy.

Yes, I think you are right. Maybe the goal should be a few "wow" holes and good, fun golf on the remaining holes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back