News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Martin

Re: Merion
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 06:41:47 PM »
At only 125 acres it provides a more intimate walk when compared with most other U.S. Open sites. It’s great to see such a worthy course find it’s way into the regular rotation.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 09:01:01 PM »
I wonder what the ball and equipment will look like by then.

Blake Conant

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 10:46:02 PM »
I wonder what the ball and equipment will look like by then.

I wonder what Merion will look like by then

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 07:03:37 AM »
   Gotta give the membership credit. Hosting the Open is a bit of a pain in the ass. Unfun rough for months; hitting off mats; closing the course for weeks; etc. Yes, it’s a lot of money and pride. I doubt everyone would be happy to do it, especially the older guys and their wives.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 03:29:38 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Steve.  This is excellent news.  In 2013 Merion was a great venue for the Open.  Interestingly through 2042 only one US Open - in 2036 - has not been assigned. 

Event
US Open
Month
June
The Country Club
Los Angeles CC
Pinehurst # 2
Oakmont CC
Shinnecock Hills GC
Pebble Beach
Winged Foot
Pinehurst # 2
Merion GC
Riviera
Pebble Beach
Oakmont CC
Oakland Hills
Pinehurst # 2
TBD
Pebble Beach
The Country Club
Los Angeles CC
Merion
Pinehurst # 2
Oakmont CC
TBD
Pebble Beach
TBD
TBD
Pinehurst # 2
TBD
Oakmont CC
Merion GC
Oakland Hills

« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 03:31:54 PM by Brent Carlson »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 03:33:27 PM »
   Gotta give the membership credit. Hosting the Open is a bit of a pain in the ass. Unfun rough for months; hitting off mats; closing the course for weeks; etc. Yes, it’s a lot of money and pride. I doubt everyone would be happy to do it, especially the older guys and their wives.

The tournament also beats up a course. I used to belong to a course that held a TOUR event. The rough is trampled down, the fairways had a zillion divots, and the practice tee was either resodded or closed for it to heal. It is a sacrifice that not many are willing to make, so good on 'em.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 08:18:23 PM »
Merion is one of my favorite golf courses on the planet.  Played it many times but with all due respect, don’t love the photo used of the 16th hole. 

Anyway, just hope they don’t change it too much more as time goes on and also wish they would consider not pinching down all the fairways all but forcing every player to play from the same spots. 

Michael Dugger

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 04:35:23 PM »
I wonder if Baltusrol will make it back into the Rota again?

And considering how much I enjoyed the event, I would also like to see them get back to Oak Hill.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 04:55:07 PM »

And considering how much I enjoyed the event, I would also like to see them get back to Oak Hill.

So the USGA simply loves anniversaries for their events (for example, 2038 Open At Brookline is 125th anniversary of Ouimet's win).  How about the following:? 

2036 would be the 100th anniversary of the US open being played at Baltusrol...on the Upper Course.  Only time Upper Course hosted an Open.  Many folks now believe Upper is better than Lower, and Hanse is right how renovating Upper.  There might be two issues: (1) PGA vs USGA as Lower is holding the PGA in 2029, and (2) the USGA typically wants to try out course that has not been used for many years by "top quality" players...and to test the facility's ability to host a big event.

Issue (1) would also affect Oak Hill.

Other possible ones IMO might be Shinnecock, Congressional, and Scioto (all of which have similar issue or issues)

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 06:48:51 PM »

So the USGA simply loves anniversaries for their events (for example, 2038 Open At Brookline is 125th anniversary of Ouimet's win).  How about the following:? 

2036 would be the 100th anniversary of the US open being played at Baltusrol...on the Upper Course.  Only time Upper Course hosted an Open.  Many folks now believe Upper is better than Lower, and Hanse is right how renovating Upper.  There might be two issues: (1) PGA vs USGA as Lower is holding the PGA in 2029, and (2) the USGA typically wants to try out course that has not been used for many years by "top quality" players...and to test the facility's ability to host a big event.

Issue (1) would also affect Oak Hill.

Other possible ones IMO might be Shinnecock, Congressional, and Scioto (all of which have similar issue or issues)

Paul-Some courses that were once perennial U.S. Open sites such as Baltusrol Lower and Oak Hill are now holding the PGA. Bethpage Black seemingly has followed suit with the Barclays, 2019 PGA and the 2024 Ryder Cup. I don't see any of them listed as future U.S. Open venues.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2024, 07:08:13 PM »
Isn't it weird that they are allocating sites over a quarter of a century in the future?  Who knows what the game of golf will look like in 2051?

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2024, 09:48:55 PM »
Paul-Some courses that were once perennial U.S. Open sites such as Baltusrol Lower and Oak Hill are now holding the PGA. Bethpage Black seemingly has followed suit with the Barclays, 2019 PGA and the 2024 Ryder Cup. I don't see any of them listed as future U.S. Open venues.

I think I said in my post exactly what your first sentence says.  But the reality is that in today's world (for better or worse) old alliances sometimes break apart and new one formed.  For example...WF held a PGA Champ in 1997 and has gone back to hosting USGA events.  And Brookline, a USGA founding member club held  Ryder Cup in '99 and then a US Am and US Open in '13 and '22.  Same back and forth has/will happened at Oakland Hills.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2024, 09:59:48 PM »
Don't forget that Merion has the 2030 US Open. *g*
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2024, 01:48:28 PM »
Isn't it weird that they are allocating sites over a quarter of a century in the future?  Who knows what the game of golf will look like in 2051?
If any organization might have an idea of what golf will or might look like in 2051, it's the organization whose reason for existing is to administrate golf.

A lot of the complaints about what's going on around professional golf include the charge that the powers that be (i.e. the PGA Tour) don't seem to have a long-term future plan. Well, the USGA seems to be thinking in decades, rather than days.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

MKrohn

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2024, 07:11:20 PM »
Presuming taking the US Open to a public course occasionally was under a previous administration?

Not sure given the freight to play that Pebble could now be categorised as public.

Oops.........missed Rahm at TP........back to Merion
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 07:18:15 PM by MKrohn »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back