News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

24 brand-new golf courses expected to open in 2024
« on: January 04, 2024, 10:44:19 PM »
By Tim Gavrich
From new municipal layouts to a highly-anticipated Florida resort and several intriguing private clubs, this year is set to bestow some phenomenal golf courses on the world.
Matt Majka/Cabot Citrus Farms It's fair to christen this decade the "New Roaring 20s," at least as far as golf course design and development is concerned.
The 1920s constituted arguably the greatest decade in the 20th century for the flowering of great new golf courses, and the 2020s are looking extremely bright as well.
Although we may never return to the days of triple-digit annual new golf course openings, last year can be considered a full breakout from the post-Recession hangover. It featured a bumper crop of new courses across the country and wider world as golf attains new heights of popularity in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. It even featured a combination resurrection/transplant of one of the great golf courses from the pre-World War II era in The Lido at Sand Valley Golf Resort, as well as a pair of nouveau-throwback clubs not far from Augusta, Ga.: The Tree Farm and Old Barnwell.

Read more:

https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/articles/brand-new-golf-courses-expected-to-open-in-2024
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:14:26 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim O’Kane

Re: 24 brand-new golf courses expected to open in 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 05:27:49 AM »
Thank you sir. Great post; perspective and link.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 11:48:58 AM »
Since Angela Moser got recognition in the article for running the project at Pinehurst, I think it's only fair to mention Eric Iverson having been the lead associate for Sedge Valley.

It's possible that Eric's current project in Texas, Childress Hall, will open before the end of the year, too.  It will certainly be playable by then.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 12:19:39 PM »
Great to see Mike Young hanging ten on the Munaissance wave!!!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 01:28:50 PM »
It's an interesting article. Plenty of new places that I would like to see, including several I was not aware of.

Either Tim or I misunderstand the meaning of the term "rogues gallery."
The big names of the last decade-plus remain plenty busy, too. Tom Doak and his rogues' gallery of associates continue to crisscross the world and create compelling golf.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 02:04:07 PM »
It's an interesting article. Plenty of new places that I would like to see, including several I was not aware of.

The big names of the last decade-plus remain plenty busy, too. Tom Doak and his rogues' gallery of associates continue to crisscross the world and create compelling golf.

Maybe he's calling me the rogue?  It's certainly not any of my associates.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 02:20:53 PM »

What is a rogue attitude?

: to begin to behave in an independent or uncontrolled way that is not authorized, normal, or expected.

What we wish from all associates. If not why not just hire Doak?

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 02:23:50 PM »

Add me to the list, I think if he was referring to the depth and quality of the bench, the more accurate term would have been "Murderer's Row" or something along those lines.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 03:06:05 PM »
Tim - one to add to the list Windsong Farm -2nd 18.  John Fought.  I am not certain the name of the course has been finalized. 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2023/02/01/windsong-farm-john-fought-new-course-minnesota/

It has been fun to watch the course being built this year.   Grassing is largely planted so it will open whenever grow in is done - likely late in the season next year.   

It is on a tight piece of property but will definitely have some interesting holes.  The Eden green looks quite severe and much more like the original than other replicas I have seen.   There will be plenty of half par holes both above and below the listed par.  My impression is that it will be a difficult course although my experience in imagining what a shaped course will look like when grassed it limited. 

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 03:30:11 PM »
Thanks for the comments and notes, all (Tom, I've noted Eric's lead involvement in the Sedge Valley section). I'm flattered to have my work read by people here.

Re: "rogues' gallery," maybe a bit of excessive playfulness/rhetorical license taken on my part there. In cartoon/comic book-speak, the phrase describes the cast of characters superheroes do battle with, so to the extent a golfer might fancy him or herself in that role, I suppose if they curse the names of enough architects under their breath, they might assemble a rogues' gallery in their minds. Either way, point taken re: the wording and noted for the future.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 03:47:10 PM »
We will never get back to the number of new courses that opened in the 80s and 90s but the quality of the courses seems to be excellent.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 03:48:30 PM »
Thanks for the comments and notes, all (Tom, I've noted Eric's lead involvement in the Sedge Valley section). I'm flattered to have my work read by people here.

Re: "rogues' gallery," maybe a bit of excessive playfulness/rhetorical license taken on my part there. In cartoon/comic book-speak, the phrase describes the cast of characters superheroes do battle with, so to the extent a golfer might fancy him or herself in that role, I suppose if they curse the names of enough architects under their breath, they might assemble a rogues' gallery in their minds. Either way, point taken re: the wording and noted for the future.

That makes more sense now. Best wishes, and it was an informative article, lots of stuff I wasn't paying any attention to.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 04:27:18 PM »

What is a rogue attitude?

: to begin to behave in an independent or uncontrolled way that is not authorized, normal, or expected.

What we wish from all associates. If not why not just hire Doak?

John:

I took Tim's phrase to mean the associates who are still working with me, rather than those who had moved on.  After all, he followed that sentence with notes about C & C and Gil Hanse and Jim Wagner's doings, and not what their ex-associates might be up to.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 04:38:11 PM »
Driving home today I passed a Nissan Rogue and sadly thought of this thread. I don’t think the word is a negative term in a modern sense.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 04:39:51 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2024, 12:14:11 AM »
On top of the 22 USA courses mentioned above (21 in the article plus Windsong N in MN), the following others are scheduled to open this year (although some may have opened in late '23):

Fall Line (GA)
Tribute Club (OR)
Broomsedge (SC)
Old Sawmill (SC)
Bounty Club (TN)
Darmor (TX)
Legacy Hills (TX)
Lorahoma Thomas Ranch (TX)
Luling Sport (TX)
Wasatch (UT)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 11:36:04 PM by Paul Rudovsky »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2024, 09:14:28 AM »
‘Rogues’ reminded me of the ‘ragtag construction crew’ on the cover of ‘Dream Golf’.

From our National Bard:
“Sic a Parcel o’ Rogues in a Nation.”

Happy New Year,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2024, 10:44:07 AM »
I’m not surprised to see the Southeast region dominate the list for U.S. courses. Hoping to see something built in New England in the near term.

MLevesque

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2024, 12:48:56 PM »
What was the last new course built in Connecticut? Maybe Pistol Creek, Berlin (no longer in existence)?
I am Skew!

mike_beene

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2024, 03:12:07 PM »
Looking at the list, I assume the Texas course is Luling not Lulime?

Tim Martin

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2024, 03:42:50 PM »
What was the last new course built in Connecticut? Maybe Pistol Creek, Berlin (no longer in existence)?

Oxford Greens opened for play in 2005 and was the last new 18 course built in Connecticut although Apple Nine GC which as its name indicates is a 9 holer built in 2012. Wintonbury Hills(2003), Bulls Bridge(2004), and Gillette Ridge(2004) were also built after Pistol Creek(2001).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 04:56:44 PM by Tim Martin »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2024, 05:26:46 PM »
Gillette Ridge. The course that broke the rankings. Made Gillette Silver proud.

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2024, 05:47:58 PM »
Gillette Ridge. The course that broke the rankings. Made Gillette Silver proud.

Leader in the clubhouse for forced carries which come early and often.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2024, 06:34:01 PM »
So it really isn’t better than Wintonbury? Coming up on the 20th anniversary.

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2024, 06:44:46 PM »
author=John Kavanaugh link=topic=72544.msg1742490#msg1742490 date=1704584041]
So it really isn’t better than Wintonbury? Coming up on the 20th anniversary.

John-A ten play split would go 10-0 in favor of Wintonbury for me. :)

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2024, 11:38:24 PM »

Looking at the list, I assume the Texas course is Luling not Lulime?

Mike--

yes and thanks for correction...I have corrected my original post

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back