News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Great interludes
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2024, 11:53:40 AM »
It doesn't matter that the walk from 12 to 13 at Highlands Links on Cape Breton Island is long. No one minds the length of this bucolic walk.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2024, 03:16:16 PM »
I'm reminded of the walk from #3 green to #4 tee at Pacific Dunes.  What a reveal!

WW

The walk up from the second green to the third tee is also a great reveal.  You up there and see all that golf course out there.

If you are playing the tips you can commune with Bill McBride at the top

V. Kmetz

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2024, 11:57:31 PM »
I will never forget the awe I felt when I finished the third hole on Bethpage Black during my first round on it in my teens. There between trees was a path leading downhill to a long tee box that pointed to a plateau, the corner of the fairway which went around a massive bunker that led to the longest and largest bunker I had ever even imagined on the face of the slope leading up to another plateau with the fairway leading on past massive bunkers in the front of the green that sat to the left of the fairway...

It was so unexpected, especially at my age and one who had never even set foot on a 'country club' golf course, and awe-inspiring To this day that is one the greatest view I have ever seen on any course. It changed the way I would look at every golf course I've ever set my foot on. Since then, when I am on a course for the first time, I spend most of my time wondering what entered the architects mind when he designed that hole and course, what he envisioned before creating what lay before me.

+100...beholding the 4th is one of the most beautiful experiences a golfer can have
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2024, 04:20:06 PM »
   Arriving at the 4th tee at the Black is jaw dropping. I wondered what the big deal was after 3. Then …. Whoa!

V. Kmetz

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2024, 04:53:50 PM »
   Arriving at the 4th tee at the Black is jaw dropping. I wondered what the big deal was after 3. Then …. Whoa!

Yes... 1,2 & 3 are prolly, either individually or collectively, BB's three plainest holes, so the effect of the 4th is amplified.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Steve Wilson

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2024, 10:26:17 PM »
Don't remember the hole # (paging Mike Whitaker) but St.  Enodoc has a glorious one as it opens up onto the ocean.

And Dunaverty in the Kintyre Peninsula has a hole that climbs to the highest point on the course and when you exit that green to the next tee you are looking down on it and all of its expanse.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Brian Finn

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2024, 08:45:44 AM »
I'm personally getting a little hung up on the difference between a worthwhile interlude and an incredible reveal.  I can think of numerous breathtaking reveals, such as the 4th at Bethpage Black, which several have mentioned, but there really is no interlude there.  However, I think "great interludes" on a golf course are pretty rare.  One place that does have some fine interludes is the Dunes in Michigan.  There are a couple of walks through the forest, particularly when playing certain tees, which are very pleasant breaks with significant anticipation of what is to come next.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2024, 11:19:42 AM »
I'm personally getting a little hung up on the difference between a worthwhile interlude and an incredible reveal.  I can think of numerous breathtaking reveals, such as the 4th at Bethpage Black, which several have mentioned, but there really is no interlude there.  However, I think "great interludes" on a golf course are pretty rare.  One place that does have some fine interludes is the Dunes in Michigan.  There are a couple of walks through the forest, particularly when playing certain tees, which are very pleasant breaks with significant anticipation of what is to come next.

The walk should intensify the expectation of what is to come. So it needs to be fifty yards or so. It is <"I can't wait to get there moment." At least, that is what I was thinking when I started this thread.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Phil Young

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2024, 01:01:01 PM »
Brian & Tommy, there is  definitely a true "interlude" as you define it as the walk is more than fifty yards, especially when you add in the long walk downhill. In fact, the spectacular view of the hole changes with each step downward to the original tee and then back up as one continues the walk up to where the first fairway begins. The 4th is that rare example of a stunning hole where one is moved by the view seen in every direction from every spot on the hole, despite those views being quite different. Just one person's opinion...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back