News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

North Jersey CC
« on: January 03, 2024, 10:05:24 AM »
Video visit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q994-lN_264

As a one-time Jersey guy, I can't say I had ever heard of it.

Tim Martin

Re: North Jersey CC
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 10:31:59 AM »
NJCC is a terrific set of Travis holes with a very prideful membership. As Essex and Bergen counties are loaded with noteworthy golden age courses this is one that although not on many people’s radar shouldn’t be missed. The routing, greens, club culture and Clifford Wendehack clubhouse are special and well worth the effort. I played after Brian Schneider was hired and had done quite a bit of work on the golf course.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 10:39:24 AM by Tim Martin »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 10:35:35 AM »
I had never heard of it until I gave a talk at a Metropolitan Golf Association event for green chairmen and superintendents, about the design of greens, and afterward a green chair came up and grilled me about whether there was not some limit of fairness that meant a green had to be rebuilt.  He was the green chair at North Jersey.

I'd never seen it, or even heard of it, but I had the next morning free, so Brian Schneider and I decided to check out these greens that were so severe they had to be blown up.  Some pretty wild stuff, but a lot of it was very cool.  So Brian wound up getting involved there to try and save the best of it.

Brian Ross

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 11:12:11 AM »
I saw NJCC last summer on a quick Travis study trip that also included Hollywood and CC of Troy and while it has much more subdued bunkering than Hollywood, I think the course as a whole may have left the biggest impression on me of the three, possibly because I too knew very little about it beforehand.

It's an expansive property with very little outside distraction, surrounded by a nature preserve on two sides, and has a beautiful old Tudor-style clubhouse. It has a very good (and yes, wild) set of greens and Brian's work, as usual, has been very well-executed. Once they get the new 10th hole completed, it will be even better. Agree with others that it's a must see when in northern NJ.
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 12:26:54 PM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 06:19:29 PM »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 06:41:44 PM »
I love NJCC. Really.

Photo tour from a visit this year:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/NorthJersey/index.html

Thanks for the link. Nice tour as usual

Thanks, Stewart. I happen to think my tour of NJCC is quite good. If not very good.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 06:54:47 PM »
North Jersey Country Club hosted the Walter J. Travis society's annual meeting last fall. By all accounts (I was in absentia) it was a rousing success. NJCC has a terrific Instagram presence, thanks to its superintendency staff. Plenty of images and commentary available on that social medium.

My goal some day is to play and photograph NJCC and HGC. Travis was a special dude. Thanks, Australia!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 08:09:27 AM »
I love NJCC. Really.

Photo tour from a visit this year:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/NorthJersey/index.html

Thanks for the link. Nice tour as usual

If the course in general and the greens in particular are as half as good as Joe's photos make them out to be then this looks a fantastic course. It makes me wonder what on earth the Green Chair was thinking if he was considering making any changes to those greens.

Niall

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 08:58:19 AM »
I had never heard of it until I gave a talk at a Metropolitan Golf Association event for green chairmen and superintendents, about the design of greens, and afterward a green chair came up and grilled me about whether there was not some limit of fairness that meant a green had to be rebuilt.  He was the green chair at North Jersey.

I'd never seen it, or even heard of it, but I had the next morning free, so Brian Schneider and I decided to check out these greens that were so severe they had to be blown up.  Some pretty wild stuff, but a lot of it was very cool.  So Brian wound up getting involved there to try and save the best of it.

What year was the MGA event?
What year was Brian's involvement?

MCirba

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 10:09:22 AM »
North Jersey will be even more special very soon with the Schneider restoration of the original Walter Travis 10th hole, a stunning par five that was mystifyingly abandoned in the distant past.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2024, 11:58:31 AM »

What year was the MGA event?
What year was Brian's involvement?

The event was in 2016.  I'm not sure when they hired Brian, but he's been involved there for a few years now.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2024, 01:26:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure he was hired in 2019. I went out and saw the course when they were hiring. I was also on their interview list. I love what I've seen to date. He was a great fit for the club and the work is really interesting.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Bill Crane

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2024, 02:16:29 PM »
Super  - photos, thank you Joe.
Another fine New Jersey course that has flown under the radar.   The second tier of quality courses in NJ is really deep.
I better go play this course in the Spring and visit my mother-in-law nearby.
Looks like rolling terrain with some elevation terrain.  It is a reasonable walk ?
With the ponds at the bottom of the valley, makes me think it might resemble Westchester CC  ( designed by Travis and built by Twomey and Flynn ! ).

NEW JERSEY   -  look before you LAUGH !  ( or make jokes ).

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2024, 03:33:33 PM »

Another fine New Jersey course that has flown under the radar.   The second tier of quality courses in NJ is really deep.

NEW JERSEY   -  look before you LAUGH !  ( or make jokes ).

If I had to pick three states and access is guaranteed it would be NJ, NY and PA.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2024, 04:52:59 PM »
I had heard of NJCC but never thought about playing there - the course looks absolutely great with such a variety of holes and the rolling terrain. May have to make a trip up there this year.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2024, 05:28:01 PM »
And just wait as the original 10th green is coming back.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back