News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike H

Nicklaus courses
« on: December 30, 2023, 06:24:06 PM »
I have grown to appreciate some of Jack Nicklaus's top courses but I know many aren't fans.  With Jack slowing down his course design work, who is the top architect renovating Nicklaus Signature courses to be more in favor with the current architecture trends?

Craig Sweet

Re: Nicklaus courses
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 06:41:22 PM »
What are the current architecture trends?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 06:51:38 PM »
Do you know what courses re being worked on?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bob Harris

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 07:46:20 PM »
I have grown to appreciate some of Jack Nicklaus's top courses but I know many aren't fans.  With Jack slowing down his course design work, who is the top architect renovating Nicklaus Signature courses to be more in favor with the current architecture trends?

Chris Cochran, ASGCA Senior Design Associate, Nicklaus Design presented a Master Plan for the Heritage course at the Club at Ibis in West Palm Beach this month.

Mike H

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 07:47:01 PM »
Craig - I would say the modern trends are more natural courses that have more emphasis on playability, options and fun rather than having long courses that demand specific shot placement and challenging hazards. 

Tommy - I am not aware of any Nicklaus courses being renovated by someone other than Nicklaus but at some point that will have to happen.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 08:18:54 PM »
Craig - I would say the modern trends are more natural courses that have more emphasis on playability, options and fun rather than having long courses that demand specific shot placement and challenging hazards. 

Tommy - I am not aware of any Nicklaus courses being renovated by someone other than Nicklaus but at some point that will have to happen.

Andrew Green is involved at Shoal Creek.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 09:24:30 PM »
OCCM redid Yangtze Dunes just out of Shanghai. It's a 36 hole club with the other course untouched.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2023, 09:56:46 PM »
If at all, how do Mr. Nicklaus's recent legal challenges (related to use of his own name, image, and likeness) affect this conversation?

WW

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2023, 09:58:15 PM »
 8)  Article link below regarding The Club at Carlton Woods, s Nicklaus Signature Course which now hosts The Chevron Championship for 9 more years... reportedly $8,000,000 total ($3,000,000 of which is irrigation scope)... good thing they're not doing too much, and doing a bunch with in-house folks...

https://www.golfcourseindustry.com/news/double-liftoff-club-carlton-woods-chevron-renovation-houston-texas/

One of Jack's favorites since 2001...

used to enjoy some Fri afternoon "Bear Fights" & fajitas when they were trying to entice new members to join...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

HarryBrinkerhoffDoyleIV_aka_Barry

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 10:28:47 PM »

Andrew Green is involved at Shoal Creek.

Whoa!  Will the Nicklaus name come off Shoal Creek as a result?

Jim Sherma

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 11:11:29 PM »
I would guess Jack Nicklaus as the architect would still be the attribution. The use of “Jack Nicklaus Signature Course” in marketing materials might be an issue. Would be interested in how all of the contracts are written.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 11:59:09 PM »
Why would legal matters impact architectural work? If the club/course is not a litigant in a case, the club/course can operate as per usual. If that's not the case, let us know!

Why would JWN's name come off a course? It's not like Green is completely reworking the Shoal Creek course, as Andy Staples did with The Match, nee The Squire, at PGA National Members Club. Shoal Creek (from my one playing-gracias, lobo) is a terrific course that needs no rerouting.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 12:01:28 AM »
Boges, I think that we should determine which courses are Jack courses, and which courses are design-associate courses. At what point did Jack stop being the driving force behind routing and other elements? That's the line in the sand for this thread.

Clock just struck twelve here in Buffalo. Happy New Year, all.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back