News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Worth

Re: Top100golf website and new Top 100 list
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2023, 11:32:40 AM »
Wow . . . I was just exploring the new top100 web site, and they list their top ten reviewers of courses. 

The guy who's reviewed more courses than any other is M. James Ward.  :o

At least we know he's playing them all from the tips!

a long hitterand known blow hard

I didn't mean to declare open season on Matt.  On the contrary, listening to his perspective on how golf courses "rewarded driver play" helped me to understand that point of view better.

By the same token, I'd agree that his analysis was a bit one-sided, and I highlighted his involvement because I thought everyone would take the rankings a little less seriously if they knew it was the collective opinion of guys like Matt.

Pffffft!

Your post, intentional or not, was like the proverbial opening of the pickle jar that had been loosened through the previous efforts of others.

I don’t know many on this site personally, but I would bet there are a dozen or so who have a story exactly like Tommy Williamsen’s vis a vis use of the driver. I have personally heard at least three similar stories. Invariably with him, it’s the fault of the course not the strategy of bombs away off the tee.

Then you layer in the bombastic posts. It’s one thing that we all have different tastes in architecture. It’s another to be an internet bully who suggests that anyone with a point of view different from his is unworthy.

I had largely forgotten about him since he doesn’t post here anymore - plus I took a 12 year hiatus from GCA due to my military service and deployments to Afghanistan. But after playing Rock Creek Cattle Company this autumn, I went back to see what others here had posted about it.  I do this to see if I missed something or to confirm my first thoughts.  I came across a 2008 post from him where he just trashed the 18th hole — unnecessarily and gratuitously.  I also noticed a different post where he criticized the placement of consecutive par 3s on the back 9 - also unnecessary and gratuitous.  He tends (or tended) to make the same point in repetitive posts in the same thread — unnecessarily, and gratuitously.

Of course, I didn’t have to post all this. I simply could’ve repeated my initial thought – – KNOWN BLOWHARD

« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 11:57:48 AM by Mike Worth »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2023, 01:15:40 PM »
I always liked Matt. We use to bake cookies together.

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2023, 01:46:15 PM »
I’ve been surprised at the volume of places that are profiled on Top 100 Golf Courses regardless of their proprietary ranking.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 01:52:30 PM by Tim Martin »

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2023, 07:44:11 PM »

By the same token, I'd agree that his analysis was a bit one-sided, and I highlighted his involvement because I thought everyone would take the rankings a little less seriously if they knew it was the collective opinion of guys like Matt.

I think a minority of the reviewers on the top 100 site are "guys like Matt". There's actually a somewhat diverse range of opinions in the reviews there. I don't  think the reviews there are even an ingredient in their rankings. They have a panel of raters who supply the ratings that go into their  their rankings. I Don't know if Matt is one. The courses that make their top 100 ranking lists are  not that that different from Golf Mag's. E.g. in their top 100 world list, 79 courses are on both lists; 13 more on the top 100 site ( each ranked 70 or lower) are among "the next 50" on the golf mag list. Only 8 are real outliers, mostly because the top 100 sire is slightly more non- US centric.

My only real point here us that the top 100 list shouldn't to be taken less seriously than any other list, notwithstanding Matt's reviews on their site. As has been discussed ad nauseam, all rankings have flaws.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back