News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Cabot St. Lucia - Truly Private?
« on: February 23, 2023, 11:53:15 AM »
I thought this was going to be public as is nearly everything Keiser does (thank you sir), but just saw this in a Forbes article:

A number of the holes at Point Hardy are playable already, but the course is scheduled to fully open in December. When it does, it will be open only to members and prospective members and homeowners at Cabot St. Lucia, a departure from the dedicated golf getaways Cabot has established in Cape Breton and the Scottish Highlands. Available real estate at the Cabot St. Lucia property currently ranges from $1.6 million to $9.75 million.

George Smiltins

Re: Cabot St. Lucia - Truly Private?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 10:00:31 PM »
I dm’d them on Instagram last month and got this reply “ Yes, there will be some opportunity for non-member tee times. Keep an eye out as more information comes out!”

Mike Bodo

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 11:07:07 PM »
Yeah and here I was thinking this was being built to be a resort course. Where do they think all their "members" are going to come from? It's pretty ballsy of them to have a private golf club on a small, remote Island.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 05:41:15 AM »
Yeah and here I was thinking this was being built to be a resort course. Where do they think all their "members" are going to come from? It's pretty ballsy of them to have a private golf club on a small, remote Island.

Not really. Home sites were, and are, being sold alongside the course. Additionally, they can offer play to other real estate owners from other Cabot properties.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mike Bodo

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 07:37:36 AM »
Not really. Home sites were, and are, being sold alongside the course. Additionally, they can offer play to other real estate owners from other Cabot properties.
Does home owner ship at any Cabot golf residential community include golf membership or is that a separate thing in of itself? Essentially, what I'm hearing is if you're a member at one Cabot golf club your privileges extend to all of them.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 11:40:42 AM »
Does home owner ship at any Cabot golf residential community include golf membership or is that a separate thing in of itself? Essentially, what I'm hearing is if you're a member at one Cabot golf club your privileges extend to all of them.

I don't yet know for sure, but believe a home site at Cabot St. Lucia does include a membership. As for the Cabot-wide membership, I don't yet know that either but would be shocked if Ben hasn't already contemplated making that a real estate investor level perk. I'll let you know when I visit St. Lucia later this year.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mike Bodo

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 11:55:08 AM »
I'll let you know when I visit St. Lucia later this year.
I hate you! JK  ;D ;D

In all seriousness. Have a blast and report back your thoughts on the course. It looks amazing from the photos and videos I've seen.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 02:16:20 PM »
I believe I read somewhere--but am now unable to locate where--that limited early play is open to members only, which implied there would ultimately be non-member play.  The website also uses the word "resort" to describe the facility, which also implies the same thing. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 04:04:21 PM »
I have yet to visit any Caribbean Island. After an hour on the beach, I'm done. That will end in 2024 or 2025. Saint Lucia will be my first island to visit.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Handley

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 07:24:54 PM »

Well as it turns out, a few guys from my club have already purchased lots/memberships.  So apparently there are people that will do this.  Guess this falls into the "if you build it they will come" strategy.   I'm just hoping my friend extends me the invite when he goes.  :)

2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Mike Bodo

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 07:36:07 PM »
Well as it turns out, a few guys from my club have already purchased lots/memberships.  So apparently there are people that will do this.  Guess this falls into the "if you build it they will come" strategy.   I'm just hoping my friend extends me the invite when he goes.  :)
I've no doubt people will purchase lots and homes there, but you're talking a transient membership at best. Most are likely to be snowbirds who flock to St. Lucia to escape winters in the Northern latitudes, same as the migration Florida witnesses each Dec./Jan. - March/April. Problem is with few year-rounders, who's going to comprise the golfing rounds needed to support course operations the rest of the months at this property? There's gotta be some type of combination of member and guest play to make this work given the locations remoteness, I would think.

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2023, 03:21:09 PM »
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/cabot-saint-lucia-cliffhanger-craggy-ocean-bluffs-live-up-to-the-hype

I'd recommend wearing a bib while reading as the drool factor is enormous.

Alex Miller

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2023, 03:36:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdp4WoqUoU

Every Hole at Cabot St. Lucia dropped this week. No doubt there is an interesting conversation to be had around how early in the life of this course that this video was released, but I was eager to see it.

I think it is fair to say that the course has jaw dropping views, but it was great to get a look at the holes themselves. Drone footage sometimes makes it hard to tell relative distances and elevation, but there were some very notable elements to the course in addition to the views. Some takeaways:

• Holes 1 and 10 cover a ton of elevation to reach the upper plateau of the property. Reminded me of the way Stone Eagle's 1st and 2nd holes work uphill, both examples to be studied. C&C have shown their prowess at this at Kapalua, so it's interesting to see this knowledge put to use here. Still may be the weakest holes on the course from my very uninformed perspective
  • The carry on Hole 8 looked immense! Some of the yardages on the video may not have been correct but from google it appears to be ~220 yards from the back tee to make the fairway. Highly dramatic and demanding for a short par 4. Very steeply canted fairway here too... not sure how much that takes away from the hole but the setting is unreal.
  • Hole 11 was listed at 540 yards par 4. Google shows closer to 480. In any case I was getting big ANGC #5 vibes from the fairway bunkers and green setting. Cool to see that hole used as an inspiration as I think it is less-talked about gem.
  • I thought the "inland" holes looked cool and engaging. Fascinating to hear Bill Coore talk about the engineering required for hole 5.
  • The finishing stretch is other worldly... 18 has been used only more recently in marketing images and on social media, perhaps because it was completed later. Pretty amazing hole that somehow manages to not let down the preceding stretch.
  • This course will probably have a lot of people using carts, but seems possible to walk. It's not a "championship" course, it seems to be designed to optimize for drama, fun, and yes views (in the sense of taking advantage what the property offers

BHoover

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2023, 08:43:24 PM »
I have no doubt the course will be special because the northern coast of St. Lucia is beautiful. But I have to be honest, when we visited St. Lucia in 2022, playing golf was about the last thing on my mind. I was much more interested in watching the waves, fly fishing, and enjoying the Caribbean weather. I would love to go back, but golf will not be what brings me back.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 02:11:32 PM »
Playing a quick three hour round in the morning and then doing other things for the rest of the days seems pretty ideal to me.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2023, 03:06:51 PM »
Playing a quick three hour round in the morning and then doing other things for the rest of the days seems pretty ideal to me.

I don't think I want to race around this course. Four hours seems just fine to me.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Worth

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2023, 03:29:20 PM »

I don't think I want to race around this course. Four hours seems just fine to me.

I’m with you, Tommy. Some courses you can gallop around in 3+ hours.

But the elevation changes here means something closer to a 4 hour round.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2023, 05:44:41 PM »
14 appears to narrow considerably as green is approached. Anxious to hear what those who play it think...is it too narrow toward the finish?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2023, 08:38:05 PM »
As I watched I kept thinking this is a wash out disaster waiting to happen...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2023, 02:11:56 PM »

Maybe, but if you are playing in a twosome, with a caddie and cart it likely won't take long as there probably won't be too many groups on the course.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2023, 02:36:17 PM »

Maybe, but if you are playing in a twosome, with a caddie and cart it likely won't take long as there probably won't be too many groups on the course.

Wayne, one absolutely could play in three hours. I was just thinking that I would be happy to be in such a place for four hours and enjoy the course and scenery.
St. John of the Cross

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2023, 07:45:24 PM »
I am just going by my experience at Cabot Cape Breton.  It is beautiful scenery, but when I am first time out in a twosome I am typically done in well under three hours.  And that is without carts on a course that is moderately difficult to walk - at least Cabot Cliffs is.
I am going to be in St Lucia in a few weeks so I will see how it goes there.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2024, 02:29:43 PM »
Playing it next Mon and Tue.  The only non-raves I've heard is that it is essentially unwalkable (well, at least for us older folks).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back