News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

The California course that is no longer shrouded in mystery
« on: December 22, 2023, 12:30:58 PM »
The one-time invitation-only Porcupine Creek Golf Course is now part of a world-class resort
RANCHO MIRAGE, California — Presidents Gerald Ford and Barack Obama enjoyed a round or two at Porcupine Creek Golf Course. And Annika Sorenstam, Tom Weiskopf and Dave Stockton had a hand in helping shape holes at what was once an invitation-only, ultra-exclusive experience for the few lucky enough to have played the desert course outside of Palm Springs, California.
For two decades, Porcupine Creek was shrouded in mystery, or ever since former billionaire Tim Blixseth decided to build his own private golf course at the base of the picturesque Santa Rosa Mountains that opened in 2004. The only way folks could catch a glimpse of one of the world’s most exclusive tracks was to hike the Bump and Grind Trail, a mountainous adventure that overhangs the golf course.
Larry Ellison, co-founder of Oracle software company, purchased the property for $42.9 million in 2011 and turned it into one of his estate retreats.
Then in fall 2022, the curtain — so to speak — was pulled back on the desert’s enduring golf secret as Ellison turned his private home into wellness retreat Sensei Porcupine Creek, combining “Move, Nourish, Rest” as brand touchstones during a guest’s stay at the 261-acre paradise.
Porcupine Creek qualifies on all fronts when it comes to getaway opulence, right down to the food executed by superstar chef Nobu Matsuhisa, including Japanese A5 Wagyu beef at $38 per ounce.
“All of the preparation is the very best, of course, but our chefs also take the time to hand dry all of our spices,” says resort general manager Julie Oliff. "They're never putting anything on the food that comes out of a pre-prepared bottle. And that just puts so much more attention and flavor and, I have to say magic, but I'm supposed to say science into the food."
And with just 34 bedrooms the new resort more than delivers on its promise of an intimate stay in a lush landscape environment.
“It’s the closest you can get to basically owning your own golf course,” Porcupine Creek director of golf Richard Ruddy says. “That's a lot of where the experience lies, to have basically a practice tee to yourself, with you or your friends or just by yourself, and then heading out to No. 1 knowing that there's no one up ahead or no one behind. It really does give you this whole mindset of just freedom and having space around you. And it really is relaxing in that regard.”  Porcupine Creek  At Porcupine Creek, there is no shortage of stunning views of the surrounding Santa Rosa Mountain ranges.(Photo: Tanveer Badal)   The golf course isn’t long at 6,665 yards from the tips, but extremely memorable and challenging with an array of waterfalls, flowers and palm trees framing most fairways. The front nine weaves its way through the Coachella Valley while the back nine climbs into the mountain range with some of the best elevated tees shots imaginable.
Ruddy claims the course’s maintenance crew spreads more rye grass per acre each October than Augusta National.
“This course, in season, is really up there condition-wise with any course in the world,” Ruddy says.
The signature hole is the 217-yard 15th hole, which drops 200 feet from tee-to-green and is carved out of the side of the mountain range in sharp contrast to the other lush offerings. Few holes will offer such an experience.
“You're really tucked away in this little cove by the mountains where each hole feels like you're in your own world and you're surrounded by all this landscaping,” Ruddy says. “It all adds into the experience. So I guess it's not just being alone, it's ‘just a feel’ that you get while you're here. If I were to pick a course and say ‘I'm stuck playing there the rest of my life,’ I think I could play here every day for a long time and I would have a good time each round.”
Ruddy laughed when asked about the number of palm trees that adorn the property.
“The story is they lost track of the palm trees around 10,000 and then they just started counting the truckloads, and I'm not even sure if they accurately counted the truckloads because there were so many truckloads,’’ he says. "Porcupine Creek is just an oasis that was built out of the barren desert."  Sensei Porcupine Creek — Hole 7  The seventh green at Porcupine Creek Golf Course.(Photo: Tanveer Badal)   A round of golf is not cheap at $950 in-season (November-April) and $650 off-season, but few would argue that it won’t be in your top 10 all-time golf memories with the course’s overall scenery and series of unique holes.
"It’s not like the landscaping is trying to impress you and the golf course is second," Ruddy says. "We’ve all played courses like that, where the landscape is almost a little daunting and it feels like golf was an afterthought. Even though a lot was done here, the golf course still is the golf course."
"It’s spectacular,” adds Stockton, the former PGA Tour player who lives 45 minutes north of the course. "There is nothing Mickey Mouse about it. It’s a great layout and because it doesn’t get much play it’s always in phenomenal condition."
The resort’s luxury extends all the way to a loaner car — a Tesla Model X Plaid SUV.
“It’s that concept of like being at home and being able to just jump into a car and go,” Oliff says. “It is incredibly fun to drive, but it also mirrors something that's really core and key to our values, which is environmental responsibility. There's not a single bit of plastic in the rooms. Even all of the amenities are made from recyclable, biodegradable materials. The Tesla is the same way. We don’t do it in an obvious, advertising way. We don't greenwash everything and say 'We're saving the Earth,’ but we make deliberate and conscious decisions in everything that we do and buy to make sure that even our food menu is as waste-free as possible."
Oliff, who has been in the hospitality industry for 25 years, studied back in the way at St. Andrews University overseas so she knows a little about special golf locations.
"Coming from the birthplace of golf and going somewhere that feels equally special meant that it felt a little bit like coming home," she says. "Some courses hold something completely and utterly magical and unique unto themselves, and this course happens to be one of them."

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 12:32:41 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bernie Bell

Re: The California course that is no longer shrouded in mystery
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 12:54:08 PM »
Golf as it was meant to be.

Mark Mammel

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 10:50:03 PM »
Seems to really one up Payne's Valley, as boring a design in the most contrived setting I have ever seen.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 11:17:05 PM »
Seems to really one up Payne's Valley, as boring a design in the most contrived setting I have ever seen.

You've played it?

Mark Mammel

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 01:06:49 AM »
I have, last year. It seemed to me a watered down version of a typical tour layout, everything visible, challenging carries, predictable, not memorable except for the island green 19th, which you can't skip even if you're tired of driving around in the rocks because you are in a cart- no other way to play the course-and you have to follow a Disneyland-style path climbing walls and under overhangs (man made) in order to return to the bar, where some kind of adult beverage is necessary to process the experience.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 01:58:20 AM »
Thanks Mark for the insight.  Desert courses don't get much respect in general for their architecture as they are contrived designs by necessity. It isn't easy to design and build a desert course at all, then to differentiate one from the other even tougher. Outside of doing Shadow Creek craziness, you probably have high end over manicured Porcupine Creek, The Quarry, The Tradition etc. to more target golf with only fairways, greens, tees grass and the rest waste areas.

I think we will, or already are in the era where water resources are stretched and these desert courses will see politicization of the issue. Criticism is already there for golf courses in general for water consumption in the west. In 10-20 years will politics even allow them to access the water needed to keep them playable? Who knows.
I'd like to play Porcupine Creek as I very much enjoy desert golf in just about all forms.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2023, 10:18:59 AM »
I played it  years back when it belonged to Tim Blixeth. My friend was one of his bankers and invited me to round out his foursome. It was enjoyable, yet as Mark said, quite predictable. Impecably groomed, Porcupine Creek struck me as a even more private Bighorn or Vintage Club. Anyone who would today pay that kind of freight for 4hours might be better served with three Psychiatry sessions.

Jeff Schley's point about desert courses is an interesting one. I've long been a huge fan of what Tom Doak accomplished at Stone Eagle. The property had to be close to being one of the least hospitable and most insurmountable landscapes on which to place a golf course. It is, IMO, a masterpiece of a man-made design, easily outpacing the likes of a Shadow Creek. The routing may be slightly extreme, yet not one of the holes is less than demanding and pure fun. It's equally sporty insofar as walking off the 18th (or 19th) holes calls for a brief refreshment and meal, then another 18. Unlike its brethren, The Quarry, down the road, there are multiple lines of charm throughout the holes. Maybe the only knock is that its a difficult walk?

I've never quite understood why Stone Eagle doesn't get more respect or recognition? Sure, its considerably private, but that never stopped any rapacious, list-chasing rater from seeking another peg on their walls for this gem.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 10:30:24 AM »
I played it  years back when it belonged to Tim Blixeth. My friend was one of his bankers and invited me to round out his foursome. It was enjoyable, yet as Mark said, quite predictable. Impecably groomed, Porcupine Creek struck me as a even more private Bighorn or Vintage Club. Anyone who would today pay that kind of freight for 4hours might be better served with three Psychiatry sessions.

Jeff Schley's point about desert courses is an interesting one. I've long been a huge fan of what Tom Doak accomplished at Stone Eagle. The property had to be close to being one of the least hospitable and most insurmountable landscapes on which to place a golf course. It is, IMO, a masterpiece of a man-made design, easily outpacing the likes of a Shadow Creek. The routing may be slightly extreme, yet not one of the holes is less than demanding and pure fun. It's equally sporty insofar as walking off the 18th (or 19th) holes calls for a brief refreshment and meal, then another 18. Unlike its brethren, The Quarry, down the road, there are multiple lines of charm throughout the holes. Maybe the only knock is that its a difficult walk?

I've never quite understood why Stone Eagle doesn't get more respect or recognition? Sure, its considerably private, but that never stopped any rapacious, list-chasing rater from seeking another peg on their walls for this gem.

Stone Eagle is one of the better desert courses, indeed. It normally is included in GOLF DIGEST's second 100. There are a few public courses like Desert Willow that are not overly manicured and are fun to play.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Kiely

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2023, 03:17:01 PM »
Before anyone else misinterprets Mark Mammel's comments above, I'm pretty sure he was referring to having played Payne's Valley, not Porcupine Creek. The island green 19th and Disneyland-style cart paths he mentioned are features found at Payne's Valley.

Here's a Jason Deegan/GolfPass tour of Porcupine Creek:
https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/photo-galleries/touring-senseis-porcupine-creek-golf-club-one-of-golfs-most-expensive
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 11:09:13 AM »
Before anyone else misinterprets Mark Mammel's comments above, I'm pretty sure he was referring to having played Payne's Valley, not Porcupine Creek. The island green 19th and Disneyland-style cart paths he mentioned are features found at Payne's Valley.

Here's a Jason Deegan/GolfPass tour of Porcupine Creek:
https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/photo-galleries/touring-senseis-porcupine-creek-golf-club-one-of-golfs-most-expensive

Oh - I did misinterpret his comments to be talking about Porcupine Creek.  Thanks for noticing.

But your link doesn't work for me for some reason.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2023, 05:15:30 PM »
Thanks for fixing that, Matt.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2023, 08:12:48 PM »
Kinda like a very well made blow up sex doll.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 12:00:17 PM »
Kinda like a very well made blow up sex doll.

Well, there’s one of these two things that I’m interested in trying trying to see if I enjoy it (it’s not the doll).  :)

PC doesn’t look great to me, but it does look fun.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2023, 12:26:09 PM »
Perhaps it is more like playing a "sim" than a sex toy?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Mark Kiely

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2023, 03:59:40 PM »
I found it ironic that back in April, the SCGA's FORE Magazine devoted six pages of copy and photos to the over-the-top conditioning at Porcupine Creek and half a page to LACC's efforts to reduce water consumption prior to the US Open.

https://www.foremagazine.com/issues/spring-2023/new-age-golf-at-sensei-porcupine-creek-personal-growth-outweighs-score/

The smaller LACC item doesn't seem to be online.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2023, 05:23:06 PM »
"Framed by a gorgeous symphony of peripheral fairway flora. "
[/size][/color]
[/size]BARF![/color]
LOCK HIM UP!!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2023, 08:26:16 PM »
And don't forget the newest rich guy's California course, "the most exclusive, mysterious American golf course project" since Shadow Creek in 1989.

https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=334208&title=SWIRV-&-EDDY%E2%80%99S-MYSTERIOUS-DESERT-GOLF-OASIS

Bruce Katona

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2023, 09:20:28 AM »
I skimmed this with interest as I just discovered Porcupine Creek researching a girls spa weekend for wife & daughter. Facility looked fabulous and with Nobu doing the food it was a possible fit for my gals.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2023, 01:24:10 PM »
I skimmed this with interest as I just discovered Porcupine Creek researching a girls spa weekend for wife & daughter. Facility looked fabulous and with Nobu doing the food it was a possible fit for my gals.

For those that can afford such things, it at least looks as stellar as the price would suggest.

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2023, 08:47:55 PM »
Is Ty Webb the golf pro?

"There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. All you have to do is get in touch with it. Stop thinking. Let things happen. And be the ball."

Daryl David

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2023, 09:02:35 PM »
For people that are interested in this sort of thing, it is very spectacular. The golf is just a side amenity that most guests don’t go near. It is likely the finest spa/wellness retreat on the world. The fact it has a golf course is of little interest to most guests. If you were stuck there with others for a few days and had no interest in spa/wellness stuff but love playing golf, you would be pleased. It’s a fun course that gets little to no play each day. That said, no one is booking a trip there strictly for golf. If they are, there are much better options for that kind of money.

John Crowley

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2023, 12:46:09 AM »

My recollection is that Stone Eagle is a surprisingly good walk, considering the severity of the site. The routing traverses the extreme terrain very well.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2023, 02:11:02 PM »
I played it back in 2018. Ironic thing is that Larry Ellison dislikes golf.

Tal Oz

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2024, 04:28:54 PM »
And don't forget the newest rich guy's California course, "the most exclusive, mysterious American golf course project" since Shadow Creek in 1989.

https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=334208&title=SWIRV-&-EDDY%E2%80%99S-MYSTERIOUS-DESERT-GOLF-OASIS

David, wow! Never would I have expected to come across a music biz rumor mill website on GCA. My two worlds colliding haha. Reminds me, I need to check in with the Azoff's about a Ladera tee time  ;D

I'm very curious to see what Gil did in the desert and how it compares to the other top tier courses in the Coachella Valley. Has anyone played it here?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back