News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

OT. Rahm, "I'm not allowed to"
« on: December 14, 2023, 02:40:37 PM »
“I am under very strict instructions not to do public events, which I have imposed on myself a little bit for myself, and for the change I have given to the world of golf in the last week,” Rahm said. “There will be nothing until February, I’m not allowed to.”
It sounds like LIV owns him. Self-imposed? LIV imposed? Both?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

Re: OT. Rahm, "I'm not allowed to"
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 02:44:23 PM »
Sounds like some sweet time to himself.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 03:32:58 PM »
   It is said everyone has his price. Even authoritarianism has its price, whether in golf or life.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 04:26:43 PM »
Contractual obligations are what you have when you sign a contract. I'm absolutely sure that there is a "don't hurt the brand" clause in the contract, and the best way to do that is to just not say anything that you're not being paid to say.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 02:54:17 PM »
It's impossible for any of these guys to do an interview or press conference without them being asked nasty questions by reporters who are still carrying water for the PGA TOUR.

Plus, there's really nothing for Jon Rahm to talk about right now.  He's agreed to the deal, he's got a couple of months off.  What is there to say?  He's best off just staying quiet and letting his clubs do the talking, whether the LIV tour suggested it or whether his silence is self-imposed.

Paul Jones

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 09:57:50 AM »
It's impossible for any of these guys to do an interview or press conference without them being asked nasty questions by reporters who are still carrying water for the PGA TOUR.

Plus, there's really nothing for Jon Rahm to talk about right now.  He's agreed to the deal, he's got a couple of months off.  What is there to say?  He's best off just staying quiet and letting his clubs do the talking, whether the LIV tour suggested it or whether his silence is self-imposed.

I agree with Tom 100%... I think Spieth and Hovland answered most of the questions when they talked about PGA Tour and how it is being run. Here is the quote from Hovland....

"It would be a bit silly to criticize the players for leaving," he said. "After all, you only hear one angle in the media, and there are quite a few different parts happening at the same time here. I totally understand why he left. That’s a lot, a lot of money. And at least when the management of the PGA Tour has done such a bad job.
"Just to be clear: I’m not complaining about the position I’m in, and I’m very grateful for everything. But the management has not done a good job. They almost see the players as labor, and not as part of the members. After all, we are the PGA Tour. Without the players, there is nothing."
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Chris Hughes

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 01:19:50 PM »
100% self-imposed.

In addition, my understanding is the passage quoted is the translated version, FYI.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 03:26:27 PM »
Shut himself down?  Some might say that's a good thing.

Pat Burke

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 04:08:44 PM »

I agree with Tom 100%... I think Spieth and Hovland answered most of the questions when they talked about PGA Tour and how it is being run. Here is the quote from Hovland....

"It would be a bit silly to criticize the players for leaving," he said. "After all, you only hear one angle in the media, and there are quite a few different parts happening at the same time here. I totally understand why he left. That’s a lot, a lot of money. And at least when the management of the PGA Tour has done such a bad job.
"Just to be clear: I’m not complaining about the position I’m in, and I’m very grateful for everything. But the management has not done a good job. They almost see the players as labor, and not as part of the members. After all, we are the PGA Tour. Without the players, there is nothing."

I was not surprised by Hovland’s comments, but surprised they were so publicly put out there.

I heard (and lived) a lot of what he is saying even so many years ago.
Still the best “tour” in the world, but the arrogance by some in pga  Tour  leadership creates a lot of animosity at times

Ken Moum

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2023, 11:19:17 PM »
Still the best “tour” in the world, but the arrogance by some in pga  Tour  leadership creates a lot of animosity at times

I have read enough of your post on how you felt they treated you to completely understand why you feel that way.

But there is another side to some of the current complaining as it pertains to PIF and LIV.  Brian Katrek and John Maginnes were discussing this, and Maginnes expressed the kind of frustration the players have.

Katrek said what I think about this specific situation--the LIV announcement and current negotiations.  He basically said that if the players were kept informed, one of them would spill the beans.  And I am sure he's right.

Given the number of people who'd have to be kept updates, the chances of maintaining any kind of wraps on the details is ZERO.

I haven't heard much other than some speculation, but the hurried announcement past summer almost had to be because someone either leaked the story, or was about to.

If that's the case, then Monahan should have told the players that. 

OTOH, if he pulls off the things that are being talked about right now, getting $3 billion from US investors and a similar, or higher number from PIF, then quitting as commissioner to head the new company, the player ought to put him up for sainthood.  (Not that I think such a deal is good for golf, just that it serves the player's financial interest.)

And I suspect it might happen, if only because Yassir and his bosses really, really want to get friendly with folks like John Henry, Arthur Blank and Wyc Grousbeck.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

archie_struthers

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 08:52:40 AM »
Shut himself down?  Some might say that's a good thing.

Now that’s probably spot on.  But he can really play.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 10:28:53 PM »
I agree.  A supremely skillful player.

Pat Burke

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 02:34:06 AM »

I have read enough of your post on how you felt they treated you to completely understand why you feel that way.

But there is another side to some of the current complaining as it pertains to PIF and LIV.  Brian Katrek and John Maginnes were discussing this, and Maginnes expressed the kind of frustration the players have.

Katrek said what I think about this specific situation--the LIV announcement and current negotiations.  He basically said that if the players were kept informed, one of them would spill the beans.  And I am sure he's right.

Given the number of people who'd have to be kept updates, the chances of maintaining any kind of wraps on the details is ZERO.

I haven't heard much other than some speculation, but the hurried announcement past summer almost had to be because someone either leaked the story, or was about to.

If that's the case, then Monahan should have told the players that. 

OTOH, if he pulls off the things that are being talked about right now, getting $3 billion from US investors and a similar, or higher number from PIF, then quitting as commissioner to head the new company, the player ought to put him up for sainthood.  (Not that I think such a deal is good for golf, just that it serves the player's financial interest.)

And I suspect it might happen, if only because Yassir and his bosses really, really want to get friendly with folks like John Henry, Arthur Blank and Wyc Grousbeck.

Ken,
Agree completely.
But one of the perceived issues from some players is that while this negotiation needs some “non disclosure” ,
Many decisions made by the tour often feel behind closed doors.

And when you have Rory caught by surprise by some players negative reaction when the “elevated” events restructure was put out there,
It just showed that even the player’s representatives on the boards don’t seem to pay attention to the players

Dan Boerger

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 07:11:46 AM »
Here's another thing: I really don't care much about what Jon Rahm has to say. Enjoy watching him golf, though.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Ken Moum

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2023, 01:32:07 PM »
Ken,
Agree completely.
But one of the perceived issues from some players is that while this negotiation needs some “non disclosure” ,
Many decisions made by the tour often feel behind closed doors.

And when you have Rory caught by surprise by some players negative reaction when the “elevated” events restructure was put out there,
It just showed that even the player’s representatives on the boards don’t seem to pay attention to the players

That's one of the things that is interesting about recent developments.  The upper class and the Tour management has pretty much written off the opinions of "mules," as they have recently been called.  All the while claiming that the difference between the PGA Tour and LIV is that there are 160-players fields made up of guys who can compete.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back