News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Brookside GC in Pasadena,CA ("Billy" Bell, 1930)
« on: December 14, 2023, 11:46:19 AM »
Forrest Richardson, a past president of the ASGCA, has been selected to adjust holes at the historic Brookside Golf Club, a 36-hole facility originally designed by William Park Bell. The 94-year-old courses are owned by the City of Pasadena, California, and operated by the Rose Bowl Stadium, home to college football's iconic Rose Bowl game.
The reconfiguration work will involve shifting a few golf holes to allow for new community amenities, including an expanded entertainment-based driving range and 36 holes of miniature golf. Both features are aimed at attracting new and diverse people to the highly regarded public facility, commonly referred to as the Rose Bowl Arroyo Seco public recreation area.
"These new concepts will bring a new dimension to Brookside," Richardson said. "But at every turn we are taking great measures to uphold the legacy of Bell’s work, and to make certain the courses remain true to the design hallmarks of his work here."
Read more:

https://www.firstcallgolf.com/design-notes/feature/2023-12-12/forrest-richardson-to-reconfigure-the-rose-bowls-brookside
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David_Tepper

Re: Brookside GC in Pasadena,CA ("Billy" Bell, 1930)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 11:50:09 AM »
Congratulations to Forrest. He also recently got the job to renovate the Pajaro Valley course in Watsonville, CA.

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/forrest-richardson-to-develop-renovation-plan-for-pajaro-valley

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 11:55:30 AM »
I'm biased but I love the Rose Bowl, the setting, the weather and everything about it. Brookside is a community asset and that entire Arroyo Seco area is such a wonderful community space. From running/walking your dog, monthly flea markets, etc.
The last time I was there maybe 7 years ago or so, it was holding up as a extremely well utilized muni. Love it and all the best Forrest.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Phil Young

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 02:43:10 PM »
Brookside was rebuilt by Billy Bell and his partner, A. W. Tillinghast, in 1938. An article in the December 16th, 1938 issue of the San Marino Tribune stated: "Brookside Park has been completely rebuilt since the devastating floods of last winter, under the supervision of William P. Bell and A. W. Tillinghast and today is a finer golf course and is in better condition than it was a year ago when the Pasadena $3,000 Charity Open was played."

I've yet to find another article that gave actual details on the work that took place and/or which of the two played the larger part.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 02:45:03 PM by Phil Young »

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 04:25:40 PM »
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 09:45:01 AM by Stewart Abramson »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 05:49:57 PM »
Brookside_RoseBowl.jpg
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 05:52:45 PM »
See pic above:Brookside Golf Club's C.W. Koiner and E.O. Nay courses sit in the shadow of the Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California's fabled stadium that hosts college football's annual Rose Bowl.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 06:22:15 PM »
I used to play these courses often and they were pretty tight to begin with. This seems like a pure money grab on a public facility that was always overbooked and 6 hour rounds on the busy days were normal. Packing in more will just ruin what's there and overused to begin with. >:(
Good luck Forrest!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 11:00:11 AM »
"You cannot have progress without change, but not all change is progress."  Once uttered an old basketball coach.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 09:11:43 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. The work at present is study and decisions, which hopefully we lead to improvements and some long needed management of how the festivals, concerts and "parking lot" uses are carried out across the courses.

I am not sure about your quote Lynn. This is golf — far different from that sport with the huge ball and a basket, and a "course" that really never changes unless someone over waxes the floor :)  I'd say that, in this case, progress will come about with change, especially if we can manage to get a bunch of 'competing' interests to see a win-win. Up until now, that really hasn't ever happened. Brookside has suffered as a result. My hope is that it can breathe again, with better everything. I'm not sure where you reside now, but if anywhere near — would be great to see you show up and support the effort.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2023, 11:08:13 PM »
"You cannot have progress without change, but not all change is progress."  Once uttered an old basketball coach.
Lynn,

You didn’t know any old basketball coaches, did you?

Just kidding!

It might hijack the thread, but it would be interesting to hear your memories of the game in the Astrodome.
Tim Weiman

JMEvensky

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2023, 05:47:08 AM »

It might hijack the thread, but it would be interesting to hear your memories of the game in the Astrodome.

That would be worth the hijack. And whatever LA/K A-J said after the rematch if you feel like reminiscing.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2023, 07:44:58 PM »
Good luck Forrest.
Loved playing there while at Oxy.

Pat Burke

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2023, 03:31:12 AM »
I played Brookside a lot when I was an amateur
Going to be interesting to see what they can do to add all this.  The courses already have some pretty “tight” areas it seemed

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2023, 11:31:00 AM »
Looking forward to seeing a couple holes out there on January 1st.  Go Blue  :)
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back