News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schoolfield

OT - (Book) Great Golfers: Their Methods at a Glance
« on: December 20, 2023, 04:41:04 AM »
I received an early Christmas present this year from two extremely bookish friends. It's a second printing of Great Golfers: Their Methods at a Glance, by George W. Beldam from 1904. It's a book that features "268 Action-Photographs" that are extremely impressive. I'm not sure how familiar folks are with this book, but there are so many photographs are too good and feature too many famous folks from golf history for me not to share. The images in the book are surprisingly high quality, and I can definitely provide much higher resolution to anyone who wants them (apologies if this is all common information, I checked and it looks like it's not come up on the site before):

Harry Vardon:

James Braid:

Bernard Darwin:

Rhona Adair (I actually updated her Wikipedia entry with these photos):

Just thought it was worth sharing!
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Charlie Goerges

Re: OT - (Book) Great Golfers: Their Methods at a Glance
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 08:47:14 AM »
Noice! Thanks for sharing. I wish we got a better look at Bernard Darwin's face though.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 08:53:17 AM »
Miss Adair is wearing a very bonnie bonnet. :)

p.s. and she might have the best golf swing of them all! 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 08:55:24 AM by David_Tepper »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 10:50:03 AM »
Miss Adair is wearing a very bonnie bonnet. :)

p.s. and she might have the best golf swing of them all!

I know nothing about her and it's possible she was tiny, but the shaft on her club seems much stouter than I associate with Hickories.   Even cut down, it would have felt very heavy but she managed a full swing?

Nice pics thanks.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 11:45:11 AM »
I am always amazed at the strong right hand at address. Miss Adair has the club in her plans, but she sure seems to give it a good whack.

I found the original on eBay. I've never bought anything on it but wanted an original copy.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 12:07:07 PM »
Matt,

I have a copy of the same book (not sure if it's a first edition).

Rhona Adair and May Hezlet were the two big names in Irish women's golf in those days. The Hezlet's were a very talented family of golfers as well (Mrs. Hezlet and her children Charles, Miss. Florence, Miss. May and Miss. Violet).

I often wondered how those photographs were post processed, if indeed they were. The chalk grid on the ground in some of the photos appears to be superimposed in some way. There does not appear to be shadows in many of the photos and where the feet meet the ground looks a bit strange.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2023, 12:29:29 PM »
"I often wondered how those photographs were post processed, if indeed they were. The chalk grid on the ground in some of the photos appears to be superimposed in some way. There does not appear to be shadows in many of the photos and where the feet meet the ground looks a bit strange."

Yes, I think you are right. Some "photo shopping" from a long time ago.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 01:41:23 PM »
RE: the "photoshopping" They probably are, but I don't think the ground at their feet looks wrong, it's the backgrounds. There is too sharp a line between the foreground and background. They probably took a long depth of field image with the player there, then a soft-focus background with no one present and then used an exacto knife to cut out around the player and place the blurry background behind them. Probably limitations with their photography equipment that wouldn't let them get a nice shot otherwise.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 03:46:22 PM »
I'll add some more. Unfortunately, I only had my old phone camera for these.

Noice! Thanks for sharing. I wish we got a better look at Bernard Darwin's face though.
It's funny because the author actually teases him for this as well:

Even putting:

I often wondered how those photographs were post processed, if indeed they were. The chalk grid on the ground in some of the photos appears to be superimposed in some way. There does not appear to be shadows in many of the photos and where the feet meet the ground looks a bit strange.
I haven't encountered any that seem surreal to me, but who knows. The author does claim these are simply his photographs, but he does include an edited Varden photo for the cover:

More famous players:

JH Taylor

Sandy Herd:

Harold Hilton has the weirdest grip I've ever seen:

An obvious name to folks here, Herbert Fowler:

Finally, it's pretty easy to determine this was a second printing because of the inscription from 1904:

It's a very interesting book, not really useful these days, but I'm pretty astonished by all the famous names. The author must have been pretty connected in the golf world to get so many Open champions to pose for him.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 03:48:38 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back