News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Northern England / Southern Scotland - Gems?
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2023, 04:45:59 AM »
Being a master of camouflage perhaps MacKenzie not only arranged for groundworks to hide or enhance features but he also arranged for numerous maps to be altered in such a way as to suggest that some cities, towns, counties even appeared to be be where they really aren't. This may well have included altering the Earths longitude and latitude.
:)

atb

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2023, 06:30:04 AM »
Muirfield and NBWL are both North of Liverpool but South of Edinburgh. 

OK, 50% right.

Whip round to get Mark a new Map book for Christmas? ;D

Seasons Greetings all.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2023, 06:31:47 AM »
OK.  Point made.  Are any of you smart arses seriously suggesting that a sensible way to travel from Southport or Lytham to Edinburgh or Glasgow involves a route that goes anywhere near Leeds?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2023, 08:06:40 AM »
OK.  Point made.  Are any of you smart arses seriously suggesting that a sensible way to travel from Southport or Lytham to Edinburgh or Glasgow involves a route that goes anywhere near Leeds?

No, though I have always found that going up the M6 if you're trying to get to Edinburgh is a PITA. It's certainly better than taking the M62/A1 but the transfer from west to east is not desperately straightforward.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2023, 08:10:19 AM »

Yes, if going to Edinburgh. It’s not really any different to going to Silloth on the way to Glasgow.😎

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2023, 08:19:51 AM »

Yes, if going to Edinburgh. It’s not really any different to going to Silloth on the way to Glasgow.😎

Ciao

Googlemaps thinks going via the M62/A1 would add at least an hour and a half onto the journey from Southport to Edinburgh.
Adam Lawrence

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2023, 08:31:12 AM »

Yes, if going to Edinburgh. It’s not really any different to going to Silloth on the way to Glasgow.

Ciao

Googlemaps thinks going via the M62/A1 would add at least an hour and a half onto the journey from Southport to Edinburgh.

Exactly. About the same as a detour to Silloth on the way to Glasgow.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2023, 09:00:56 AM »

Do you consider an hour and a half a huge that big of a detour? Hell, I detoured to Dornoch on a trip from Edinburgh to Isle of Skye. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2023, 10:50:27 AM »

Ciao

At least that, I'd have thought.  It'd be lunacy.  Then there's the detour to (say) Alwoodley, which must add another 40 minutes/an hour, so overall at least an hour more than going up the M6 and detouring via Silloth (30 minutes from the Carlisle junction of the M6)
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2023, 01:18:26 PM »
Trying to see if there are any courses out there in that "no man's" land between Liverpool and say Edinburgh or Glascow.

Siloth comes to mind but was wondering if there were others.

I'm a member at Silloth and am always happy for the excuse to take the trip up there from Manchester. I'd be delighted to host you (or any other GCAers).  Just let me know when.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2023, 08:05:53 PM »
Nobody's mentioned Ganton, which is one of my personal favorites.

Ken Moum

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2023, 11:27:27 PM »
ver played those, but heard good things.

Toward Glasgow is East Renfrewshire. This course has intrigued me for sometime.

My wife and I played a Mixed Open there with the Lady Captain and her husband, it was very enjoyable.

Of course, I'd have loved to get on with him...he's a member at Western Gailes.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mark Pearce

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2023, 05:23:14 AM »
Nobody's mentioned Ganton, which is one of my personal favorites.
Ganton's a great golf course.  But an extraordinarily long detour for a journey from Southport to Edinburgh, let alone Glasgow!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2023, 07:41:10 AM »
I suppose the whole detour aspect depends on why you are travelling from place A to place B. If I drive to Scotland, it's because I'm going somewhere, probably for work, and therefore I want to get there as quickly as possible, and an hour and a half's detour would be a terrible waste of time. But if I were on a golf trip, the same detour is pretty irrelevant, given that the reason I would make it is to stop for a game somewhere, which would take far more than an hour and a half anyway.
Adam Lawrence

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back